Future liveaboard with a few questions on what models to look into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pocket - the majority of sailboats (at least in our area) motor to and from their destinations when doing the coastal cruising thing. Many of us have a sailboat background. Generally speaking, a lot of us switched to power because there is more internal room, better views (not in a tunnel), and we don't want to grind on winches or sit in an exposed cockpit during weather. Not putting down sailboats because they offer advantages over power, its more a matter of which things are important to you.

Stupid question, from someone else who has not considered sailboats before for similar reasons to the original poster, but who is reading the thread with interest.

Am I correct in thinking that the bulk of modern sailboats are also powerboats -- that if you want to run them without the sails, they'll go? I keep seeing boats with sails turn up in powerboat searches, and the pictures show they have engine rooms. I'm not really sure what the overlap is between boats that have motors and no sails, boats that have sails and no motors, and boats that have both.

I could think about using a sailboat as an offshore apartment, if I didn't have to use the sails on the rare occasions when I was trying to move the thing. (Of course that won't work on the inland waterways I talked about before; anything with masts won't go under bridges. But I'm still playing around a bit with different options. We might switch gears at this early stage.)
A typical sailboat that's roomy enough to be a liveaboard will be able to motor very nearly at hull speed. The main difference is in the amount of fuel they can carry.

Stupid question, from someone else who has not considered sailboats before for similar reasons to the original poster, but who is reading the thread with interest.

Am I correct in thinking that the bulk of modern sailboats are also powerboats -- that if you want to run them without the sails, they'll go? I keep seeing boats with sails turn up in powerboat searches, and the pictures show they have engine rooms. I'm not really sure what the overlap is between boats that have motors and no sails, boats that have sails and no motors, and boats that have both.

I could think about using a sailboat as an offshore apartment, if I didn't have to use the sails on the rare occasions when I was trying to move the thing. (Of course that won't work on the inland waterways I talked about before; anything with masts won't go under bridges. But I'm still playing around a bit with different options. We might switch gears at this early stage.)

Hi Naomi,

There are very very few sailboats that don't have motors. Virtually guaranteed that any sailboat you are likely to look at has a motor, usually a small diesel. True that they don't carry a lot of fuel, but they don't need a lot because their hulls are very efficient. Still they will likely have enough fuel for nonstop motoring for days. They won't travel faster than hull speed, but they will use less fuel than a power boat. For this reason, some cruisers do it in a sailboat where they have removed the mast and all sailing equipment and use it strictly as a power boat. That is an option that works for some.

More rain on the parade. You most definitely will need insurance at MDR. This is not a huge deal. You get a survey, pay the money and get the insurance.

The kicker though is that your insurance company may insist that you are qualified to operate a 40 foot boat. If you have no experience they may require certification before issuing insurance.

pete

More rain on the parade. You most definitely will need insurance at MDR. This is not a huge deal. You get a survey, pay the money and get the insurance.

The kicker though is that your insurance company may insist that you are qualified to operate a 40 foot boat. If you have no experience they may require certification before issuing insurance.

pete

Or to look at it another way, if you have no experience, you are certainly not qualified to operate a boat over 40'. :nonono:

For a little "aside'

I once looked at a very, very nice forty some foot Commander in Florida. All it would have taken to make an instant sale was a little demo ride. The owner could not leave the berth without a licensed, approved captain on board. And to make it worse, he wanted me to cover the cost.

Sorry, no sale.

pete

Welcome to the TF!

I think for dockside living, the biggest boat for the length is probably an aft cabin boat. For the price, I really like the Carver 355/356. Older models of the 355 are even cheaper, and later models, like the 366, are a bit more expensive.

[ENDQUOTE]

I would like to second what he said. My wife and I have been living for eight years on a Carver 42 aft cabin. It is actually 48 feet overall and 15 feet wide, with effectively more than two and a half decks, so there is a lot of room, plus privacy for guests. I highly recommend that boat, but for a single person, a Carver aft cabin in the 35-foot range would be a nice setup. Be sure to get a good surveyor, and I would also recommend having your engines analyzed, since you will not necessarily know what pitfalls to look for. I ended up going through three previous boats before I bought the one that I did, but I avoided even more costly repairs and problems by doing it that way.

--Dan

Liveaboard Boat

I have a Mainship 40 DC . Very well equipped for liveaboard. Full aft with queen bed. Full galley with stove. Very roomy. 1986 gas engines. You could get one for around $40,000.00

Last edited:
Marine Trader 38 Tradewinds Sundeck

I have this boat and I would be very happy on it as a live aboard. It has an aft stateroom with a walk around queen and en-suite bathroom with shower, bunk beds in the forwards stateroom, galley, salon, and a huge covered sundeck. This boat is great and based on what I paid 6 years ago probably very affordable. The Sundeck is one of the best features as it gives you a great area to relax or entertain.

The OP has withdrawn from the forum. Perhaps an admin could close this thread?

I just wonder why he did not consider a houseboat ,designed and constructed to do what he wants , a seldom moving liveaboard?

I just wonder why he did not consider a houseboat ,designed and constructed to do what he wants , a seldom moving liveaboard?

The seemingly overwhelming condemnation of houseboats (in this forum) in past threads may have convinced them to not bring it up and go elsewhere for solid info on houseboats (considering they come is all shapes, sizes and usefulness).

I agree, some houseboats are a great option for the seldom cruise and liveaboard situations.

Others make great (limited) cruisers.

It's the same when people discuss pontoon boats here...there is quite the prejudice....yet the general boating public seems to disagree...

"Of the 250,000 new boats sold last year, new pontoons were the second-highest-selling category," a tradeonlytoday,com comment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom