Future liveaboard with a few questions on what models to look into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TakeItEasy

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time and read this, im sure answering the newer questions can get quite tiring LOL. Anyway, I'm a single male in my mid to almost late 20s. I live in California, work in the movie Industry(union job pays well) and along with my love of boats, i have an auto immune disorder that makes it really hard for me to eat and even work sometimes. So work isn't always stable for me, and in California, this is actually one of the cheaper ways of living and do something i love.(Id also be 10 minutes from Fox, where i was working at last), as I would like to get a liveaboard in Marina Del Rey as the prices are great for the size boat i want. Ive never been on anything larger then a 30 foot boat(friends boat), my step father has a Larson 234 escape and a Regal 210 majestic, along with 3 seadoos. So ive been around small boats and water toys, but nothing as large as I want buy. I have been looking for an 1980's to 90's motor yacht to liveaboard fulltime. Smallest being 38 feet with the largest reaching around 45 feet(since i know Marina charge by LOA, not the actual boat length, so from reading/research im trying to keep that in mind) My price range is trying to keep it under 50k. I don't mind doing some mechanical work, as that's what i love to do. Do to my medical condition im really skinny(5-9 120 pounds) so i should be able to fit in a lot of tight spaces, which should help in the boat lifestyle lol. My step father is also a contractor and does everything from plumbing to electrical to wood work even on his own boats, so i do have some help. Now Diesels might take a curve to learn but nothing to crazy. My main concern on a survey would be water/rot since i have no knowledge in working on gel coats. I have a few brands i will list below that seem to be what im after in terms of layout/look, but am coming to you more educated people to help enlighten me and possibly set me on my way so i can know what to look into for, instead of at everything, since a lot of boats do look the same.
A few of the brands/styles i seem to be into are, but i have no idea about models only brand names so far : Chris craft, Silverton, Carver and Blue water, but im open to pretty much anything, especially US made were parts are easier to get haha. I just need some help on what models are out there that fit what im going for, long docks with a cruise to Catalina once a month or so.
My priorities are in this order: Space overall is my biggest concern. I'd like a spacious salon/outdoor deck to grill or throw a small party, but also has canvas in case of rain. Since the boat will be docked most of the time speed and range wont matter as much since i'd only take it out to Avalon or Catalina, but i rather have range over speed.

These are some of the pictures of floorplan/styles im looking after:

silverton-40-motor-yacht-3721211

bestway-40-aft-cabin-3058640

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks a lot everyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom