Fun New West Marine Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
Last week (actually five days ago) I bought a replacement bilge pump at the West Anacortes store. Hooked it to temporary 12v source and pressed the test; ran fine. Installed, it buzzed but pumped no water. Impeller rotated freely on the drive shaft...or vice versa.

So I returned it to the Tacoma store today and they made the refund very grudgingly. I was advised that they no longer give ANY warranty for any product they sell.

"This policy is clearly stated on our website."

They are hurting financially and their demise is only a matter of time. Over priced on almost everything.

I had wind shield wiper motor problems just after an install. The motor didn't die but just slowed down so badly that basically ineffective. My refit guy also runs a small but busy chandlery. He told me it feels like to him, he should order in two of everything when he only needs, that is how reliable he is finding some marine products.

I think West Marine agrees with him. The problem is not him or West Marine, its all the inferior stuff being sold.

I think West Marine agrees with him. The problem is not him or West Marine, its all the inferior stuff being sold.

Maybe, but simply saying, "We've got your money and now it is your problem " is not a sustainable business model. Props to the Tacoma store manager who did make a refund without me yelling at her, although I think she recognized the possibility.

And "it's on our website" may be a defense for an online purchaser, it is not what you want to say to someone who is standing right in front of you with the detective product in hand.

This is not a comment on West Marine but if the shoe fits, so be it. I have seen time and time again business bringing in cheaper and cheaper merchandise. All is fine, we like the cheapest thing that does the job. It is when you cross that line of does the job that you get into trouble. If the business fails to recognize that they are selling crap they are doomed. The consumer will eventually switch suppliers. There is a learning period were the customer doesn't yet realize the cheapest item is crap but eventually they figure it out. Problem is they don't trust that the medium priced stuff is better. They just go off and look for another supplier they can trust to supply them with the cheapest product that does do the job.

Yes. I drove two hours rt in I-5 traffic to buy the replacement at Fisheries'

Last edited:
...and bought four other items, I might add.

At another brand store I just purchased some items and they said no warranty, no return. Liquidation of product they will stop carrying. Must be a new norm.

At another brand store I just purchased some items and they said no warranty, no return. Liquidation of product they will stop carrying. Must be a new norm.

I've encountered "clearance sale" policies all my adult life and I think a clearly stated policy of: "we are getting rid of this crap; great price, just don't bring it back." is a time-honored tactic. Making it your foundational business policy is not good for your brand.

That wouldn't be how I interpret their clearly stated policy on the website:

If your West Marine purchase does not meet your needs or expectations, package your unused item in its original packaging with proof of purchase. West Advantage Rewards Members purchases do not require a receipt for refund or replacement.

They do say they will not take back installed products, maybe that was the issue.

FYI, I had an 1100 gpm OEM Rule bilge pump fail in my Ranger Tug. 2 years old. Called Rule customer service, and they sent a replacement out the same day, free of charge. No proof requested or needed, just my word. Major props for Rule customer service.

West wouldn't help with the exchange, but they did give me Rule's number. So there's that. :whistling:

That wouldn't be how I interpret their clearly stated policy on the website:

They do say they will not take back installed products, maybe that was the issue.

Not how it was related by the store manager. BTW, I am one of their "Advantage, blah, blah"

\\installed products\\

Could be an issue, but in this case, the pump seemed to work just fine until it was asked to...well...pump.

I am pleased they made the refund, but not pleased enough to buy there again.

Last edited:
We just bought a new boat and have already spent thousands of dollars on new equipment. WMP will not get a penny of the new equipment budget.

If your West Marine purchase does not meet your needs or expectations, package your unused item in its original packaging with proof of purchase.

You're supposed to determine whether a pump works or not by just taking it out of the box and staring at it???

--Peggie

They are hurting financially and their demise is only a matter of time. Over priced on almost everything.

Yep. West used to have three stores within 30 miles of me fifteen years ago. Today they have one. West is a dying duck.

I have never really been on the “West Marine is Evil” bandwagon. However, I do think that the new policy will simply accelerate their impending doom. In some ways I kind of understand the policy. Why should they spend money they don’t have just to handle the returns for manufactures that supplying sub-standard products?

I have no problem spending a bit more to have the convenience of being able to just pick up an item that I want/need at the moment. WM served that role for many years. However, WM can’t compete with online retailers on price alone. So for those items that we don’t need right away, we spend less and simply order it.

The local WM also can’t compete on selection. Years ago, if you needed anything, you would go into your local chandlery and what you saw was what you got to choose from. Now we are fortunate to have an almost infinite variety of anything from rope, to radios, to resins.

Yes, WM will eventually contract and fail. Hopefully there will be local chandleries that can pick up the slack. I just don’t get all the whining on the part of so many boaters who complain about the high prices and poor selection of WM. It makes no sense to me.

I don’t know what West Marine is doing but when I was in the business warranty policy varied greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Jabsco/Rule was great. If the customer had a receipt showing it was under warranty I could just swap it. If they didn’t have a receipt I could look up the date it was made and base the warranty on that. Every once in a while the sales rep came by and wrote me a credit for the items.

Other manufacturers wouldn’t let the dealer make the decision on warranty. I always tried to help the customer by contacting the manufacturer and shipping the product back for them.

Do business with your local chandler. Get to know the sales people and introduce your self to the manager. Say something nice about the store and he or she will remember you.

Dave, you are fortunate to have a pretty good chandler right in your town. I have always come away from Ship-to-Shore feeling well served even if they didn't have what I needed.

p.s. moving the boat to G.H. Tuesday.

Last edited:
Surely there is a statutory warranty they can`t contract out of. You must have an equivalent of our "Sale of Goods Act" which implies statutory warranties that can`t be negated.

If your West Marine purchase does not meet your needs or expectations, package your unused item in its original packaging with proof of purchase.

You're supposed to determine whether a pump works or not by just taking it out of the box and staring at it???

--Peggie

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking!

Dave, you are fortunate to have a pretty good chandler right in your town. I have always come away from Ship-to-Shore feeling well served even if they didn't have what I needed.

p.s. moving the boat to G.H. Tuesday.

Yeah, they do a good job. I try to buy from them as much as i can.

When you are in the retailing business, you don't always get to negotiate with a supplier. However, you always have the right to pass on stocking. Some manufactures give me 10% extra product to make up for manufacturing defect. Some just credit me for warranty returns. A few insist on handling the warranty directly or require me to return it for repair. In any case, if I determine that the customer did nothing wrong and the manufacture wont stand behind it because it was installed, game over, that product is off my shelf and I move on to a supplier that will support me and my customer.

As for West Marine, well it used to be a good company that actually tested the products they sold. Sadly that company was sold to another company that loaded it up with debt and gave management direction to squeeze the maximum short term gains out of the company. Frankly, I find Amazon is fast becoming a better marine store than WM.

I had this problem twice with West Marine and SeaFlo AC pumps. Bought one. It died prematurely. They wouldn't exchange it. They told me to contact SeaFlow. I bought a new one to get air and then the SeaFlo guy ignored me for a long time until I started CCing West Marine execs on email and then he eventually sent me the wrong pump. I eventually gave up trying.

The pump died again, and I bought another one again, becuase it was all I could get my hands on quickly enough in the hot summer. Again, West Marine wouldn't do a swap. I didn't bother trying to make the warranty claim the 2nd time.

But, I did resolve to get another brand as a spare to keep aboard so I wouldn't be at the mercy of the heat or local inventory.

Last edited:
I should say that I mostly blame this policy on the customers who took dishonest advantage of their old policy and would exchange products for new ones, need it or not, 1 day before the warranty was up and return discontinued electronics to buybthe new model. West Marine apparently had an industry leading NPF rate on in-store exchanged andnlate returned warranty claims.

I d like to know the brand and model of the pump. WM isn t the only quilty party. Sad to see them degenerate before our eyes from what they once were.

Last edited:
Fundamental question-why can't Rule make a bilge pump that works first time everytime. They've been making the same thing for years. An electric motor in a plastic housing with vanes on the end of the shaft. About as low tech, low tolerance as it gets.

I d like to know the brand and model of the pump. WM isn t the only quilty party. Sad to see them degenerate before our eyes from what they once were.

Looking back at my maintenance log, I recorded it as this:

SeaFlo 500 115v from West Marine (WM# 19648906, Mfg # SFCPA1-G500-01)

I have never, ever had a problem with West Marine not accepting a return. Ever.

I bought a pair of West Marine binoculars and they broke after a couple years. I took them to the store and they had been discontinued. The guy at the store got on the computer, found a replacement pair at another store and had them shipped to me.

I had a West Marine dinghy air pump fail when I was on a cruise. I took it to a nearby store, they looked up my purchase and handed me a replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom