Old 09-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Full Tanks or Not?

I'm interested in what TF'ers think about this question. Let's assume you are at a floating dock in good condition. A windstorm is heading your way--high to hurricane force winds. You decide that where you are tied up is reasonably protected and so the boat will stay where it is. Your fuel and water tanks are near empty but you have the option to fill them before the storm hits. Do you fill them or leave them near empty.

One caveat--this is question about boat safety/stability in the storm, it is not a question of having fuel and water after the storm passes.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Might depend on the configuration of the boat. For my boat, I have two fresh water tanks, 50 gallons each, port and starboard. That's just 800 lbs., but I'd fill them for a little more weight, balance, and to sit slightly lower in the water. My 300 gallon fuel tank is about 1/3 full right now and I'd probably leave it that way. Gas is what, about 6 lbs. per gallon? That's awfully expensive ballast.

My boat is so tall for its weight (26,000 fully loaded) I don't know that full water tanks would make much difference though. On balance I love our boat, but the thing is a giant fiberglass sail. I would imagine other boats with different profiles and tank configurations, you'll get a very different answer.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have 4700 litre fuel capacity, almost 4 tonnes. Water is about 1100 litre. At the dock I normally am not more than half of fuel capacity but full of water. I would not change anything (re: liquids) ahead of wind coming. Securing/stowing stuff would be my priority.

The boat does not sit that much lower in the water full of fuel, so little reduction in windage. But, it does handle more sluggishly, and has more kinetic energy/momentum. If banging against a dock that increased energy is a negative.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I have 4700 litre fuel capacity, almost 4 tonnes. Water is about 1100 litre. At the dock I normally am not more than half of fuel capacity but full of water. I would not change anything (re: liquids) ahead of wind coming. Securing/stowing stuff would be my priority.

The boat does not sit that much lower in the water full of fuel, so little reduction in windage. But, it does handle more sluggishly, and has more kinetic energy/momentum. If banging against a dock that increased energy is a negative.
My thoughts, also. In a big blow, the boats going to move around. In my case, I'd rather have 35,000 pounds pulling against the lines and cleats (low volumes of fuel and water) rather than 42,000 pounds (full of water and fuel).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
My thoughts, also. In a big blow, the boats going to move around. In my case, I'd rather have 35,000 pounds pulling against the lines and cleats (low volumes of fuel and water) rather than 42,000 pounds (full of water and fuel).
My opinion is the heavier boat will move around less, and/or less violently.

Less room in the tank for water intrusion, which is a concern in TS/hurricane conditions.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
My opinion is fill her up to the nuts and make her as heavy as you can, we are all hoping that everyone is safe in this very nasty time.

If you have a gasoline boat, perhaps hoarding the fuel might be useful in the aftermath? Godspeed to you all.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Imo, any added weight below the waterline is a plus as it lowers the center of gravity. I might fill all tanks to the boat's waterline.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Without any experience of an hurricane I would say that it would not make any difference considering the forces in action. My boat is 6 tons empty, 7 or 8 with full fuel, water, our stuff and our fat bodies, but I still can move it by pushing it... imagine 200km/h wind... Full fuel tanks would only add to pollution mess if by any bad luck (and I sincerely hope this will not be your case) the boat is destroyed.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Water tanks and two of four fuel tanks of mine are above waterline. The boat is heavy with a low profile, so believe filling the lower fuel tanks would not have much affect. However, if future availability of water and fuel was questionable, I'd take on water and some fuel.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I like to have water tanks full, in case I need to move the boat and then might stay aboard for an extended period. (This would generally be after a move to more safety but then being without ground transport. I'm NOT staying aboard in the direct path of a hurricane.)

I like to keep the fuel tanks somewhere around half full during our season anyway, so that gives me some significant mobility if necessary. If it looks like I might need to make a serious move, full fuel tanks (more range) make me slightly less nervous.

-Chris
Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #11

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
I think the "it weighs more so pulls more on lines / hits dock harder" logic is potentially not accurate.

IMHO The net effect would be zero as it won't get gain as much kinetic energy due to being heavier.

What I think *would* happen is frequency will decrease, and I think that's a good thing.

I'm full up on all tanks, and thankfully latest forecast Savannah is out of the cone.

Edit: Also +1 for more fuel in an apocalypse is a good investment.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I'll add a different view:

If the boat breaks away or sinks and you've just spent $500 filling up the fuel tanks, you're not going to be happy about that.

I keep my fuel tanks full so I don't have that choice but my boat is hauled and in a building so my situation is different anyway.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What percentage of displacement is the added fuel?

I personally dont think it will add much to stability. The dock linesv will probably reduce rolling to the point where the real righting force of that added fuel may not be much.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
OK, so I see both sides of this coin. Bottom line is nobody knows. Perhaps an NA will chime in. Fortunately for us we are still in CT so it is not a big issue. What triggered the question is yesterday I filled our fuel tanks to capacity in anticipation of our trip south. I reasoned that diesel prices may go up due to the storms so buy now. Then I got to thinking about it and it gave rise to my query.

Good luck and safe passage wishes to all those in harm's way.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We're full but that's just the way they were anyway. Probably a little stability gained but I don't see that it's enough to really matter. I see one big plus in being full and that is post storm fuel deliveries for marinas are not likely to be a high priority. Also, might need to use the boat in some relief effort. The negative is that if you sink, then the environmental issue has been increased.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
OK, so I see both sides of this coin. Bottom line is nobody knows. Perhaps an NA will chime in. Fortunately for us we are still in CT so it is not a big issue. What triggered the question is yesterday I filled our fuel tanks to capacity in anticipation of our trip south. I reasoned that diesel prices may go up due to the storms so buy now. Then I got to thinking about it and it gave rise to my query.

Good luck and safe passage wishes to all those in harm's way.
No. We do know.
The KK42 with full tanks add 15% to the displacement weight.
The boat will sit about 5 inches lower in the water compared to almost empty.
She bobs around much more when empty.

I'd have all the tanks full.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #17
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
I thought about this and decided if my boat sank, I didn't want over 100 gallons going with it. I left thr boat with about 1/3rd tanks.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
I thought about this and decided if my boat sank, I didn't want over 100 gallons going with it. I left thr boat with about 1/3rd tanks.
Wifey B: I prefer to plan for it not to sink.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #19
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I prefer to plan for it not to sink.
Ha right. But I figure if she's going to sink, 100 gallons isn't going to make a bit of difference.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Without any experience of an hurricane I would say that it would not make any difference considering the forces in action. My boat is 6 tons empty, 7 or 8 with full fuel, water, our stuff and our fat bodies, but I still can move it by pushing it... imagine 200km/h wind... Full fuel tanks would only add to pollution mess if by any bad luck (and I sincerely hope this will not be your case) the boat is destroyed.

L
I'm with you and Brian, above, Lou. As you say, the extra weight will not help - inconsequential in the proposed scenario, as we are talking of a boat tied to a dock in a strong wind and surge situation. To me the less weight tugging against those mooring lines the better.