Old 09-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: Interim
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Engines

My son is looking at a few boats powered by Perkins or Yanmar engines. Looking for comments as to good, bad or so so as far as engines go.
Thx
Gbinterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Parts and service availability in your area should be a major criteria in your selection.
Don't know if price is a driving factor in your search, but Perkins, Volvo and Yanmar have ridiculously high prices on parts.
I favor Cummins because their sales volume is huge by comparison, as well as their parts and service network.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Some depends on how fast he wants to go and how often he wants to overhaul. Engines (in general) with a turbo produce higher exhaust gas temperatures. EGTs at near full throttle will wear the cylinder parts and valves about twice as fast as a non turbo engine. With a very careful skipper maybe only 30% faster wear.
I've run many of both types. If I have a choice, and I'm paying for the overhaul, I always pick natural aspirated engines. The real point of a turbo is to get a smaller engine in a given space. And the engine may not have originally been designed for a turbo. No matter how much cooling you have, EGTs that are too high will wear the engine faster.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Be specific about boat and how you plan to use it as well as model of Perkins or Yanmar you are considering.

You can't really answer the question without that info.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It really only matters if you find two identical boats. Otherwise you find the boat you like and neither of those brands are going to run you away.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
If he is looking at planing hulls then the higher the top speed the better. Not because he would be going fast but that he can run the engine much slower and still maintain good speed.

Turbo engines in displacement type hulls may offer better economy since generally the turbo will only be used in circumstances where extra power is needed. The rest of the time you will realize the benefits of a smaller displacement engine.

My view in general is that Perkins are better when intermittent high power is needed. Yanmars do not seem to mind being run at higher speeds. Both will be better if their ratings match the particular application and prop matching is done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinterim View Post
My son is looking at a few boats powered by Perkins or Yanmar engines. Looking for comments as to good, bad or so so as far as engines go.
Thx
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It really only matters if you find two identical boats. Otherwise you find the boat you like and neither of those brands are going to run you away.
BINGO!! Perfect answer to the question!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

City: Subic Bay
Both are sound engines and replies will be varied (probably fairly equally)
how ever in sales world wide and new vessels Yanmar out weigh's Perkins,

The older Perkins are well proven reliable engines that with a little care will run for thousands of hours with no issue, saying that you should try to stay away from the Perkins Prima models (as they have rubber timing belts) and if not changed (even before recommended time) it will let you down and as these engines are an (interference engine) when the belt goes normally your engine is destroyed.

Not to many known short comings with any of the Yanmar models, as with all these engines replacing the exhaust riser on a regular basis is key to a long life,

Cheers Steve
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
both reliable machines IF YOU ARE maintenace for with love and according to the manufacturer's instructions. ask the vendor to give an explanation of the maintenance. On some models, Yanmar has 6 pencils that are for some owners expensive and may be neglected. as well as cooling liquid exchange, some do not know that they should be replaced and may have internal sore corrosion

ie, the equivalent, just credible maintenance history and general look of the engine room and a successful sea trip. the mark does not have such a great value for Yanmar, perkins, cummins or volvo
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Perkins, apart from the Prima which was a car/taxi engine are industrial engines marinised. Parts should not be expensive if you think out of the box. The 4 and 6 cylinders are found in Massey Ferguson agricultural machinery, forklift truck, gen sets etc.
I can also give a website for OE overhaul kits (including shipping) which are much cheaper than marine distributors.
Be very careful when servicing Yanmar, if you do it wrong she'll be Smokey and no amount of cleaning intercooler and turbo's will cure it.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
. If I have a choice, and I'm paying for the overhaul, I always pick natural aspirated engines. .
In newer engines +100 HP there is no choice. Turbos account for probably 95% of diesel sales and in gas engines the numbers are quickly rising.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote