Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

City: CONROE
Full Beam Salon In 40-50 Foot Class

In researching various boat designs, the full beam salon (full width side to side) looks interesting. It gives you extra living space. I realize that you give up full walk around side decks, and that you have to adjust docking procedures. So far, the only boats I've seen with this design are Helmsman and North Pacific.

Know of others?
munchcolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Marine Trader 50' was offered in full beam saloon.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Nordhavn 46 is halfway! Saloon is squished over on the port side. However, I can’t imagine my wife and I not having full walk-around decks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Lots of boats have full with saloons. You must have other criteria that fave limited you to just the two makes.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I wouldn't trade my walk around decks for anything. Many Silvertons have that feature. One owners wife told me she has to open a window to adjust a fender.

Not for me

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. It is like anything else on a boat, it is a trade off. Nothing wrong wit no side walkways if you like it, and accept what the limitations are. You can still handle lines just may take a bit more planning. Go aboard a few and see how you like them. You can’t tell from photos. We looked a a very nice boat today but decided that it didn’t work for us due to awkward access to the engine room and a very tight, for us, stairs from the pilothouse to the flybridge. It looked good on paper and photos but not in real life. OTOH. Looked at a boat 9’ longer and it was great, but would have to store it for the winter 4 hours away each way vice 1 mile for our current boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I own a North Pacific and have been very happy with it. I have seen other full width salon boats beyond the Helmsman and NP but can't think of specific makes at this time.

When I started looking to move from sail to power, walk-around decks were a "must have". A sailboat is the ultimate walk around deck. You can walk around, over, through, you name it. You can get to the dock from any part of the boat (granted my last sailboat had quite a bit of freeboard but...).

However, when I looked at what I wanted to use the boat for, I decided that I could get along without walk-around decks. I bought the North Pacific and it has been great.

I think most of those who say they would never own a boat without walk-around decks are folks who have never owned a boat without them. Just as I initially felt I needed them.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think most of those who say they would never own a boat without walk-around decks are folks who have never owned a boat without them. Just as I initially felt I needed them.
Yup.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi munchcolo,

Pacific Trawler comes to mind. Various Nordic Tugs.

Posted by dhays:
Quote:
Yup.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #10

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Bayliner 4788 & 4588.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Krogen 48 Whaleback. We travelled with one through many of Canadian Trent-Severn locks. Those folks seemed not to have any problems handling their boat with no side decks.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor, WA
Navigator 51
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The Cherubini Independence 45 and 50 have full beam saloons. Mine has a stern docking station which helps to offset no side decks.

The Hans Christian Independence 45 also is full beam.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I was warned against not having side decks when we bought our Krogen Manatee (full beam saloon), but so far the only evident disadvantage we’ve noticed is when we need to use the pier to wax the sides of the saloon. Line & fender handling hasn’t been an issue, nor has using spring lines on floating docks.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #15

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Again, Bayliner 4788. I used to have the same opinion re gotta have em. We have adequate line and fender handling without full side decks. Even less of an issue if you aren’t doing a lot of docking/marina hopping. Sitting in my barrel chair in the aft port corner of our full width salon, well, that’s one thing that keeps me from selling.... there is just so much interior volume!
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Walk around decks were a "must have" in our selection of a full time cruising boat. They serve so many useful functions beyond line handling. Though admittedly I do have a fondness for the Manatees and Whalebacks.

For one thing you can get from stem or helm to stern in an instant without having to weave your way through the salon or up and down stairs. They are a great place to watch the dolphins and other sea life up close. You can fish from them. You can hose down the boat much easier. Our particular boat had a fiberglass "awnings" over the side decks which provided some shade for the salon and helm areas and a modicum of rain protection whilst going to and fro.

Then again, we did buy a boat with 18'2" beam.... but other than watching TV at night or taking a nap, the salon was not used very much at all: the aft deck and flying bridge were the venues of choice.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #17
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Navigator/Californian

Many of the Navigator/Californian models were built w/o side decks. There is a small ledge that you can walk around w/ hand holds. Also their wide beam makes the salon and pilot station very roomy.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: gulf coast
Most full width salons have doors so you can walk through instead of around. With a nice wood floor cleanup of any water from wet ropes, shoes etc is easy.

I had a 44' with full side decks and full width salon. The makers simply allowed enough room under the deck for chair backs and other furniture. The beam of the boat makes a big difference mine was 15'.
There is no substitute for interior space if you intend to spend a lot of time on the boat.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #19

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchcolo View Post
In researching various boat designs, the full beam salon (full width side to side) looks interesting. It gives you extra living space. I realize that you give up full walk around side decks, and that you have to adjust docking procedures. So far, the only boats I've seen with this design are Helmsman and North Pacific.

Know of others?

My Willard 40 was a wide body model. No side decks, never missed them. Most single screw boats will “walk” to starboard so we Never docked to port. Adds lots to interior space!
Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #20
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Got to say we have had both and probably will never move to side decks unless we plan on blue water cruising and even then maybe
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote