Full Beam Salon In 40-50 Foot Class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out the DeFever 50 - built 2007 til ?. Full walk around both sides with 16.5 beam inside. King bed in aft master with full walk arounds. Really spacious. We eliminated any boat that did not have full walk around....Sometimes one is required to RUN around.......

My Willard 40 was a wide body model. No side decks, never missed them. Most single screw boats will “walk” to starboard so we Never docked to port. Adds lots to interior space!

That's funny. My single had a RH prop and walked to starboard in forward, but I preferred to land portside-to-dock. Slow forward, point your nose where you want it, then burst of reverse pulls the stern in like a thruster.

I had a Silverton Motoryacht "Sidewalk" design -- full beam to starboard and 3 steps up to the flybridge from the bow to port with a couple more steps down to the aft deck with more steps down to the swimstep. The interior volume was huge and it was a great liveaboard.

This design made picking up a Catalina mooring an adventure, as the mooring had to be on the port side and it was a journey to get from the bow to the stern while hanging onto a mooring line. I now have a Grand Banks Motoryacht with wide sidedecks and beefy handrails. It's still a great liveaboard and I luuuv my sidedecks :D

I swore I would not own a boat that I could not move along the side decks from bow to stern...then I spent a week on a Great Harbour 37. We loved the layout of the boat, the 16' beam made for a spacious salon. And a few years later, we bought our Great Harbour GH47. To be fair the pilothouse level has "gunnels" that we can walk fore and aft. My wife got very good at dropping a line from the pilot house level on a pile or cleat.

I had a Silverton Motoryacht "Sidewalk" design -- full beam to starboard and 3 steps up to the flybridge from the bow to port with a couple more steps down to the aft deck with more steps down to the swimstep. The interior volume was huge and it was a great liveaboard.

This design made picking up a Catalina mooring an adventure, as the mooring had to be on the port side and it was a journey to get from the bow to the stern while hanging onto a mooring line. I now have a Grand Banks Motoryacht with wide sidedecks and beefy handrails. It's still a great liveaboard and I luuuv my sidedecks :D

We all have different needs and likes when it comes to boats and how we use them, so whatever works it’s all good. We have picked up mooring lines at every mooring field in Catalina with no side decks and zero issues. My wife will Grab the wand and attach the bow hauser, walk the sand line aft and up the steps, hand off sand line to me In the aft cockpit and I attach the stern hauser. Just returned from a trip out there a couple weeks ago and we are headed back out again in 2 weeks. The full beam 14-5 salon makes it feel like a much larger boat and we enjoy the open spacious feel of the saloon.

Our Manatee has more useable room than most 40 footers at 36 feet. Locks from the upper deck, docking from the aft cockpit and bow deck. Love the boat and layout.

In researching various boat designs, the full beam salon (full width side to side) looks interesting. It gives you extra living space. I realize that you give up full walk around side decks, and that you have to adjust docking procedures. So far, the only boats I've seen with this design are Helmsman and North Pacific.

Know of others?

In researching various boat designs, the full beam salon (full width side to side) looks interesting. It gives you extra living space. I realize that you give up full walk around side decks, and that you have to adjust docking procedures. So far, the only boats I've seen with this design are Helmsman and North Pacific.

Know of others?

Navigator is a good value in that class, and there are several good Taiwanese cuts of the same series.

For the Catalina mooring, get a line that reaches from the aft cleat to the bow, and rig it with a snap clip at the bow end. As you’re coming in, prep the boat by tying the line to the aft and stringing it forward around the outside and clip it up at the bow (I suggest using poly pro as it floats, and run the clip through a foam key float so it doesn’t foul the prop if you drop it).

After you pick up the pin ang get the bow secure, pull put the clip around the aft lead and toss it in the water. You can now calmly walk to the back of the boat and grab your messenger line and bring it up with the rest of the mooring rig and secure the stern lead.

My Willard 40 was a wide body model. No side decks, never missed them. Most single screw boats will “walk” to starboard so we Never docked to port. Adds lots to interior space!
Willard introduced the W40 lineup around 1974 in several different deck house configurations. The Widebody Sedan being as roomy as W40 can get. I've never been aboard one - from memory, access to the foredeck is via a fold-down staircase from the flybridge (the center portion of the flybridge hinges down, a common Willard design feature). They also made a pilot house version with a full width salon, sort of like the Nordic Tug 37 (surprised that hasn't been mentioned in this thread). In the end though, few W40s have full width salons.

As an aside, when Willard relaunched the W40 in the late 1990s, they focused their marketing on a pilot house configuration with side decks. In my opinion, a mistake. A small 40 footer to begin with owing to its modest beam and round stern, side decks robbed the interior of living space. I tried to lobby Willard to at least consider an asymmetric layout with only one side deck as many Nordhavns have, but they felt a sea boat should have full walk-around decks. I remember seeing the W40 next to a N40 at a TrawlerFest in Solomans WA. Base price was roughly the same. But then interior space in the N40 was remarkable in comparison. Willard ceased production of trawlers a year or so later.

My Willard 36 has roomy side decks. I wouldn't trade her for the world, so much so that I'm buying her all over again by undergoing a major refit/restoration. While I would never change her classic lines and side decks, I would easily swap side decks for more living space on a newer boat. My thinking is I can figure out how to rig a line from the salon, but I can't figure out how to read a book from the side deck.

To the OP: I think the Nordic Tug and American Tug boats are full width. At least some are.

Peter

I am searching for a trawler with a draft of 3.5 to 4 foot. What does the 45 and 50 Cherubini draw? I see conflicting info regarding the 50 with twins. I assume the twin version draws less? Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

I am searching for a trawler with a draft of 3.5 to 4 foot. What does the 45 and 50 Cherubini draw? I see conflicting info regarding the 50 with twins. I assume the twin version draws less? Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

The Cherubini 45 draws 4.5'. I believe you will find the Cherubinis with twins still have a full keel as the hollow keel is part of the hull molds .

Ted

Early to mid 80's Gulfstar 44 and 49 have full width salons.

The Bayliner 4788 and it's twin the Meridian 490 have full width salons and are very easy to operate even single handed.

The only time in my experience that side decks were necessary was when I would single hand through a lock on the river. Securing the boat to a floating bollard from 8' above in any kind of breeze is just too complicated. But then that happens to me all the time.

Back
Top Bottom