Fuel system question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
For my on engine fuel filter I have a cartridge type filter,my question is changing that filter with a racor 500 that way eliminating the need to find such an odd ball filter eventually when I start heavy cruising,having 2 of the same filters would be quite nice,then when it's time to swap filters I take the on engine one off move it down the line and put fresh one in at engine,is that something possible or what

Basically no. I am no expert but most engine (secondary) filters are proprietary, spec’d by the engine manufacturer. They rarely require replacement as an emergency. The primary filter & water separator up stream of that does all the heavy lifting in most boats. Many of us have dual Racors (or equivalents) as primary filtration- flip a lever once the suction pressures climb bringing the backup fresh primary filter on line,. Change out the clogged one ASAP.
I carry 1 spare secondary filter & 5 spare primary filters for each engine

What is the engine?
How many filters do you have?
Can you post a photo or two of what you have now?
I think I understand what you are asking but before relying I want to be sure I have it right.

While Racor filters can operate under a small amount of pressure, they are designed for use in vacuum. Secondary filters operate under pressure as they are after the lift pump. I wouldn't use a Racor in that application, and certainly not without verifying the Racor could handle the lift pump pressure.

Ted

For my on engine fuel filter I have a cartridge type filter,my question is changing that filter with a racor 500 that way eliminating the need to find such an odd ball filter eventually when I start heavy cruising,having 2 of the same filters would be quite nice,then when it's time to swap filters I take the on engine one off move it down the line and put fresh one in at engine,is that something possible or what
Good article from Steve D. Strongly recommends sequential filtering - 10 micron primary, 2 micron secondary. Not sure from your post what your question is, but if you're thinking of running 2 micron at the primary and dispensing with any secondary filter, he advises against, as do all engine manufacturers.

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/fuel-filters-simplified-2/

Peter

I will also suggest look up and read what Tony Athens has written. He too recommends sequential filtering. and He is an honest expert.

www.sbmar.com

Save yourself a lot of grief and pay attention to these two guys, THey both have deep backgrounds of boat repair and offer a lot of info for free other than the effort to look up their sites and read what they offer.

I am referring to Tony Athens AND Steve d Antonio.

Peter I've read all Steve Dashews books and most of the setsail FPB Dashew logs,he has had a most fortunate life,and has documented so much information and tips its great,someday I hope to see one of his alum rigs whether it be one of the Beowulf's or FPB,if I hit lottery I would buy the FPB 64 and get going and stay gone

Peter I've read all Steve Dashews books and most of the setsail FPB Dashew logs,he has had a most fortunate life,and has documented so much information and tips its great,someday I hope to see one of his alum rigs whether it be one of the Beowulf's or FPB,if I hit lottery I would buy the FPB 64 and get going and stay gone
Apologies. A different Steve D. Link is to a Steve D'Antonio article on filtration. Later in the article he mentions that common intuition about filtration, while apparently logical (eg run 2 micron in primaries), is not recommended by engine manufacturers and rarely practiced in industrial applications.

While Racor filters can operate under a small amount of pressure, they are designed for use in vacuum. Secondary filters operate under pressure as they are after the lift pump. I wouldn't use a Racor in that application, and certainly not without verifying the Racor could handle the lift pump pressure.

Ted

Some engines like my 315 HP Yanmar 6LPA have no lift pump.

Back
Top Bottom