Fuel Storage - Looking for ideas, best practices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rherten

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Emelyn
Vessel Make
North Pacific 36
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas/input on safe/convenient ways to store fuel on a small trawler with limited storage lockers. The main engine is diesel, so no issues there. The oven/stove is propane and the boat has a built in vented propane storage tank, so no issues there. However I do have a spare propane tank, plus some small propane canisters for the BBQ, and also my 2 gas jerry tanks for the tender. I can't keep those in the lazarette or engine room as they are not spark proof or ventilated. Therefore I keep them in the storage locker on the flybridge in front of the helm.

It occurred to me that this isn't necessarily safe either, as that locker has a bunch of electronics and wiring which are not spark/explosion proof, and is not properly vented (although better than laz and engine room). There is some room under the bench seats on the flybridge, but that space is also interconnected with the abovementioned locker. Perhaps if I seal and vent that space. Alternately I could add a dedicated vented storage box somewhere.

My previous boat had some transom storage which was useful for storing fuel, however my current boat does not. I'm wondering how others may have solved this problem (photos welcome) or any other ideas for a safe/convenient/aesthetic storage solution.

Thanks!

Not sure how applicable to your situation, but I has a propane locker fabricated for dual 20# bottles. Door is not attached in this picture. Sits at base of bench on flybridge. BBQ is next to it so I can just run a propane hose direct to BBQ

Peter IMG-20200229-WA0004.jpg

We store our spare propane and fuel in the dingy. We can set it in the cockpit if need be when we are using the dingy. :)

For the smaller green propane canisters used for the grill, I made a storage container out of 4" PVC pipe (they fit perfectly inside) Glue a cap on the bottom (drill holes for drainage), and a screw cap for the top. Made ours tall enough to hold 4 of the canisters. Strapped it to a post on our sundeck, so it could drain(if necessary) directly overboard. Safe and secure.

I hate the small steel propane tanks. So I have a hose with a 1 pound bottle fitting to hook to the grill and the other end has the 20 pound bottle fitting. Keep the propane tank in the dinghy. Regarding the spare gas cans, ditch them and use spare fuel tanks which would also reside in the dinghy or upper deck area. I like the idea that my spare fuel is a redundant fuel tank in case the one in the dinghy is stolen or develops a leak.

Ted

Last edited:
Our propane is in a vented locker on the fly bridge. The dinghy gas stays in the dinghy. On rare occasions, we throw an extra 6 gal jug of gas on deck, tied to the lifelines/toe rail when the dinghy is expected to get a lot of use

Hi all,
Perhaps if I seal and vent that space. Alternately I could add a dedicated vented storage box somewhere.

My previous boat had some transom storage which was useful for storing fuel, however my current boat does not. I'm wondering how others may have solved this problem (photos welcome) or any other ideas for a safe/convenient/aesthetic storage solution.

Thanks!

I use my swim grid to store fuel jugs on. I secured a piece of SS rail tubing with some railing brackets through bolted to the grid. THen I tie the jugs in place to the rail. Sure it limits the grid for other uses but the jugs can vent all they want. the PVC pipe sounds like a good idea for those mini bottles.
I'm not to worried about the lack of other uses as the dingy, the O/B, and its associated jugs and canisters take up the rest.

Thanks everybody for feedback and suggestions.

Two places to beware of. East side of PR and Haiti. All the way down to South America is good. But just like the USA there are bad people and towns

Not sure how applicable to your situation, but I has a propane locker fabricated for dual 20# bottles. Door is not attached in this picture. Sits at base of bench on flybridge. BBQ is next to it so I can just run a propane hose direct to BBQ

Peter View attachment 112604

Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but is the door on the side of the locker?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom