Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I'm getting my mojo back

Just finished changing the engine fuel filters. First change since Miami??

Looks crappy. It was half water, half fuel.
Makes me realize that someone was asking the question about longevity of engines.

I realize that I don't need an engine that will outlast me, I need a engine that won't quit on me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140913_155757.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	32787

And that's a big issue as engines get ever more efficient, with turbos and all sorts of things, you are giving up something.

Nothing comes for free.

And on another note. Crew

I finally figured out what my point I was trying to make in a not very articulated way.

Even getting past the point of finding competent crew, but there's more to it.

Julie and I had looked for people for even the first leg of the trip. Many were enthusiastic and then disappeared as the time got near. Finally we accepted that it would be just the two of us. And then, just days before departure, one of the people I really liked contacted me.

Julie and I talked it over and we realised we were excited to do it ourselves. That adding a third person would change the atmosphere too much.

And then while waiting for weather in the Azores, I was really hopeful for this one guy, but then he couldn't get away from work.

I'm sure he would have been very good, but for me, even though my first choice was to have him, I understood that not having him, being solo, still had some positives.

The number one being that I did not have to worry about someone else, whether it was their safety, their happiness or just having the desire to land here versus there.

I've always known that in this case, this is my weakness, catering to others, far beyond what is reasonable or even expected.

So that's what I was trying to get across.

I love my Lehman AND the Krogen.
They both got me here and they would have done the same for all of YOU.

It's Guinness time.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Didn't you change filters in mid passage from Azores?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
One thing about competent crew...is if they are more captain than crew...and the shi* hits the fan...some BAD things can happen between folk.

Takes the right chemistry in a lot of ways. I saw it all the time in military flying. The combination of rank, experience and designation for 2 different people had to sync up or it was constant tension.

I think that's why so many after singlehandling...won't do it any other way....especially in slow boats..more time to think about things and dwell on them.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I think he's saying he had not changed the ENGINE mounted filters since he was in Miami and before the crossing.

If true -
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post

Makes me realize that someone was asking the question about longevity of engines.

I realize that I don't need an engine that will outlast me, I need a engine that won't quit on me.

Attachment 32787

And that's a big issue as engines get ever more efficient, with turbos and all sorts of things, you are giving up something.

Nothing comes for free.

And on another note. Crew

I finally figured out what my point I was trying to make in a not very articulated way.

Even getting past the point of finding competent crew, but there's more to it.

Julie and I had looked for people for even the first leg of the trip. Many were enthusiastic and then disappeared as the time got near. Finally we accepted that it would be just the two of us. And then, just days before departure, one of the people I really liked contacted me.

Julie and I talked it over and we realised we were excited to do it ourselves. That adding a third person would change the atmosphere too much.

And then while waiting for weather in the Azores, I was really hopeful for this one guy, but then he couldn't get away from work.

I'm sure he would have been very good, but for me, even though my first choice was to have him, I understood that not having him, being solo, still had some positives.

The number one being that I did not have to worry about someone else, whether it was their safety, their happiness or just having the desire to land here versus there.

I've always known that in this case, this is my weakness, catering to others, far beyond what is reasonable or even expected.

So that's what I was trying to get across.

I love my Lehman AND the Krogen.
They both got me here and they would have done the same for all of YOU.

It's Guinness time.
Great Post!

And on the filters... holy crap that is a lot of goo.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Great Post!

And on the filters... holy crap that is a lot of goo.
HOLLYWOOD
My feeling is every LRC that depends on the engines staying running should have a day tank.

Say you're burning 2gal/ hr, then a 60 gal day tank mounted separately from the mains would make sense; only clean filtered and polished diesel would be pumped into this tank, so whatever muck is in your main tanks doesn't matter as you will know for certain you have a least 24hrs clean running.

This way you have plenty of time to clean out and filter any water or muck in the main tanks without it getting into the engine filters and stopping the engine.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:

Nothing comes for free.m
I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. Are you saying you think water was in the fuel getting past the filters and your Lehman was running along happily on that? And that a modern engine would have stopped?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yea, where was that gunk? In racor's or secondaries? Or is there three step filtration. Or was that in the fuel polisher filters, no huge deal there..
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #9

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Takes the right chemistry in a lot of ways. I saw it all the time in military flying. The combination of rank, experience and designation for 2 different people had to sync up or it was constant tension.

I think that's why so many after singlehandling...won't do it any other way.....
As a former WSO, that's how I'd always explain a two seat fighter to a single seat fighter driver. When Pilot and WSO are complimentary and mesh well, it's an unbeatable combination with far greater throughput. When there isn't good crew coordination, the jet would be better off with single occupancy. The single seat guys would only shake their craniums and swear they'd never risk the joy of solitude with the chances of not meshing well with a WSO.

Likely an apt analogy here for sure.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
That was from the engine mounted filters.
One Baldwin, one Fram.
Replaced by two Frams.

Hadn't changed them since Miami??? :-)
I've always kept the Racors good so I wouldn't have to mess with them.

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post

My feeling is every LRC that depends on the engines staying running should have a day tank.

Say you're burning 2gal/ hr, then a 60 gal day tank mounted separately from the mains would make sense; only clean filtered and polished diesel would be pumped into this tank, so whatever muck is in your main tanks doesn't matter as you will know for certain you have a least 24hrs clean running.

This way you have plenty of time to clean out and filter any water or muck in the main tanks without it getting into the engine filters and stopping the engine.
I agree. The problem is that I'm running out of room AND I do worry about adding another point of failure to the system that has been working very well.

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post

As a former WSO, that's how I'd always explain a two seat fighter to a single seat fighter driver. When Pilot and WSO are complimentary and mesh well, it's an unbeatable combination with far greater throughput. When there isn't good crew coordination, the jet would be better off with single occupancy. The single seat guys would only shake their craniums and swear they'd never risk the joy of solitude with the chances of not meshing well with a WSO.

The GIB made far more of a difference then the AF wanted to let on.

It was about $$$ and that money then went into equipment they didn't need.
But people got promoted and manufacturers made money.

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post

Now I see why I understand you.

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
I agree. The problem is that I'm running out of room AND I do worry about adding another point of failure to the system that has been working very well.
How about locating the day tank just behind the pilot house up on the aft deck; gravity feed to the engine means you won't need the engine mounted lift pump as the day tank will only have a small quantity of clean fuel in it. You could make it out of clear see through Perspex or tempered glass or other impervious material to diesel, you would be able to spot any problems before they develop.

PS: the fuel in the day tank would be filtered down to the same purity as the engine normally gets; this means any blocks that happen when you filtering and polishing the main tanks won't stop your engine....you'll have a 24 hour buffer to sort out the problem.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #15
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yea, where was that gunk? In racor's or secondaries? Or is there three step filtration. Or was that in the fuel polisher filters, no huge deal there..
I clarified above.
But let me add that this is exactly what I was getting out of the Racors once I started using the Horta fuel.

So, I'm satisfied they they were ok before.
Also, they have caused some issues, so we just try to give each other space. They don't stop the engine. I leave them alone.

I was prepared to change them underway if need be.

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Guru

Whatever about the crew, you are seriously screwed if you engine stops; you'll only get a few chances at a restart before your battery is dead.

So....

I'd make sure the diesel had a mechanical fuel cutoff so the engine will keep on running even without power.

I'd keep fully filtered fuel in a separate tank which is not connected directly to the main tank; this fuel will not need further filtering to keep the engine running.

I would have a totally separate main tanks, then you can polish it and filter it, strain it through muslin if necessary to get it clean in an emergency if the you've loaded on contaminated diesel.

...otherwise your filters may get blocked and STOP your engine!!!

NB: there's no filter between the day tank and the engine.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
Dauntless Award

Rusty Barge

Check out a Krogen. It's pretty much set up as you describe only no day tank.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that in spite of the water in fuel, the sea state, blah, blah, blah
The system acted as it was designed.

To many folks continually seek perfect solutions.

Including our President. Thinking and doing must be balanced, otherwise it's just mental masturbation (an old AF term)

Blog:
Old 09-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #18

City: St Louis
Quote:
The GIB made far more of a difference then the AF wanted to let on.

It was about $$$ and that money then went into equipment they didn't need.
But people got promoted and manufacturers made money.
There are still two damn fine two seat fighters in production stateside, but I'm understandably jaded!

Quote:
Now I see why I understand you.
"I see!" said the blind man, and he picked up his hammer and Saw!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
how true...boats can be set up for different people, uses, cruising styles, etc..

plus just about every idea has variations depending whether people consider redundancy necessary or just another failure point unless it can be done as a COMPLETE redundant system/operation.

We all have likes and dislikes beyond even trust/trust nots...so many systems are designed around personalities as much as what some people believe to be "facts" or "absolutes"...and rarely do those exist when planning a boat, it's systems and a voyage...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Having a qualified and capable second crew member almost always improves safety. Professional flight crews are probably at the top of the food chain when it comes to "qualified and capable" crewmembers. Crew Resource Management (CRM) training emphasizes the need for clear and open lines of 2-way communication to enhance safety and gaining a synergistic effect.

It's hard to draw a direct benefits comparisons between professional flight crews and picking up an additional inexperienced or unknown crewmember for a trip across the ocean. I can see where having an unknown or inexperienced person onboard could very easily become a real deficit and safety concern.

Given my druthers, I'druther have an experienced, known crewmember assisting on a crossing like this one. Obviously, that's not always possible and waiting until later in the season would have opened up a whole new set of risks and perils. Seems to me like Richard and Julie handled it right for their circumstances.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote