Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

Fuel Polishing, clean tanks

After filling the wing tanks before leaving for a couple of months north, I noticed a dribble of diesel coming from the starboard tank. We used or transferred the 750 gallons in that tank so I could take the inspection plate off and re-gasket it. I was somewhat surprised to find that after 11 years and thousands of gallons run through this tank there was zero deposits or crud at the bottom, and no water. While I was prepared to do some cleaning, there was nothing to clean. I can only attribute this to occasionally polishing the fuel, especially when the tanks are near empty and we're out in the slop. Delfin has 5 bulk tanks and 2 day tanks (boiler and main), so I have the ability and need to transfer fuel for ballasting or to the day tanks. When we offload an 800# Whaler off the starboard deck, I move fuel from port to starboard for 20 minutes to bring up back to neutral heel. Point is, many debates have been held on the efficacy of fuel polishing, and I offer this as an indication that at least in our instance, it certainly seems to work.