Fuel Cost Changing Cruising Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We discussed this earlier this week. I looked it up and over the last 4 years the average fuel burn of 515g per season so I am figuring my extra cost will be around $750 more. We will likely do less single day trips and shot for longer time aboard weather permitting.

I will spend more money next week getting some gel coat work done than I spend on fuel in 2 seasons so it’s all relative

FYI Just returned from topping up the tank in Vancouver.
2.08 Cad + 5% tax a litre... so 8.27 Cad per Gal.

I ran a 3208 Cat for a main engine in my salmon troller at low rpm for much of the time I owned it, 12 years. Got almost 20,000 hours on it before rebuild was done. Pulling the engine apart showed that the rebuild like should by have been done a bit sooner, maybe at 18 or 19,000 hr?

The reason it was ran in such low rpm was it was mainly used troller, 14 plus hours per day. At night it only ran a hydraulic pump driving the freezer, even lower rpm. The engine ran 24/7 only stopping each day to check oil and belts. It was a naturally asperated 210 hp unit. At least twice each day I ran her up to high rpm to burn out whatever.

My point is I am not concerned with running my now twin Hino engines at low rpm (naturally asperated) to same fuel burn from time to time. But I do run them up to high rpm for 10 minutes every four hours or so following the engine manufacturers recommendation.
Good to know the 3208 naturals will do fine at lower RPM. I've been told by so many I gotta run em hard. But I like my boat best when turning 1400 to 1600. I'll push them up to 2200 for a short time each day. They're over propped so I think that's high enough.

Rising fuel prices is good news for full-displacement, single-engine trawlers. And I've got four full tanks of diesel. :blush:

I have a motorsailer. Stingy diesel. This is not even news for me, it's a shrug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost

We discussed this earlier this week. I looked it up and over the last 4 years the average fuel burn of 515g per season so I am figuring my extra cost will be around $750 more. We will likely do less single day trips and shot for longer time aboard weather permitting.

I will spend more money next week getting some gel coat work done than I spend on fuel in 2 seasons so it’s all relative

I just spent $10,000 on wood rot repair. That has no bearing on the fact that fuel cost has doubled or tripled in some cases. Repairing your gel coat is “elective surgery”. Fuel cost determines how you can use your boat.

Portage Bay

I believe that you will do fine with your running plans this year for your 3208's. I agree with your observations. My engine sounded happy running in the 1600 rpm area. Even 1700. But sounded like the sweet spot with mine was in the 1600 area?

The reduction in fuel consumption was spectacular from my days of cruising at 1900 to 2200 rpm. On slowing down to 16 to 17K when I was running to and from the fishing grounds my speed was not grossly impacted. I had a big fat displacement hull that was build to pack 6 tons of fish with no concern for speed or fuel economy. She was only about 35' waterline and drafted 6.5 feet with a 14 foot beam. The hull wouldn't do much more than 8 knots no matter how much power I pushed. She just dropped further into the depths and pushed a giant wake.

So cutting back the rpm dropped me from around 8 knots to around 6.7 to 7 with a joyful reduction in fuel burn! When I ran mine up to burn out the carbon for 10 minutes at least twice a day I mostly did that around 22K and rarely took it over 2400. I was slightly over prop too.

Last edited:
Here we go. I knew that the 'experts' would kick in!
I am not interested in any theories. I prefer the proof of the pudding and I'm eating it.
I have proved 5kts at 800rpm today with no current running, so time will tell whether I get much of an mpg improvement . I would love to afford a modern more fuel efficient vessel but most of us just have to urinate with the tool that we have.

Dude, people are entitled to have opinions and voice them. If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, you are welcome to not participate. However, you are not welcome to tell other people they cannot voice their opinions.

We have a 'Be Nice' and you are veering ever closer to infringing on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom