Friday ponder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheap old boat.

I would never advise anyone to buy a cheap old beater of a boat, depending, perhaps, on your definition of "cheap old beater." In my experience, repairs and improvements will cost more than the higher price of a boat that has already had the repairs and improvements made. I'm glad that I did not buy any of the "fixer-uppers" that I looked at when I was searching for a cruising boat. Sunshine Girl was "turn-key" when I bought her but I have still spent ten years and many boat bucks on improvements.

I completely agree with you. In reality (with very few and far between exceptions) there are no "good deals" out there. If you buy a "project boat" cheap you are going to spend a lot of time and money making her sea worthy and functional not to mention attractive. Between daily yard costs, mechanics, carpenters, electricians et al costs, parts etc you are going to wind up having the same, if not more, money in your boat than you would had you just bought a newer, already re fit boat to begin with. Not to mention all the time your "cheap" boat will be unavailable for use because it's being worked on. Of course, if you are a master diesel mech, carpenter, plumber, electrician, HVAC technician, painter, fiberglass tech etc and you love restoring things then by all means, come to Fl, buy a boat sunk in a hurricane for cents on the dollar, gut it and have a field day. For everyone else look at the cost of a "cheap fixer" double it and go get a boat already "fixed".

We had a couple in one of our Coast Guard boating classes who were shopping for there first boat a 60+ Hatteras or equivalent. We highly encouraged them to consider something a bit smaller to start but he was dead serious. She on the other hand seemed like she would have preferred a Viking Cruise.

I'm a Dreamer! I'm one who has been on the water before (past sailor). I started dreaming on this forum over a year ago and now I'm a veteran member! I asked plenty of questions and you guys have thoughtfully, intelligently, and sincerely answered my them , always. You have been a tremendous help even now as I have tendered an offer and surveyed a boat. (stay tuned I will update). I am almost ready to leave dreamer category but I will still have questions I am sure. So in answer to the OP question, just keep doing what you have been doing, answer those questions. Know that you make a difference in your participation.

I'm a Dreamer! I'm one who has been on the water before (past sailor). I started dreaming on this forum over a year ago and now I'm a veteran member! I asked plenty of questions and you guys have thoughtfully, intelligently, and sincerely answered my them , always. You have been a tremendous help even now as I have tendered an offer and surveyed a boat. (stay tuned I will update). I am almost ready to leave dreamer category but I will still have questions I am sure. So in answer to the OP question, just keep doing what you have been doing, answer those questions. Know that you make a difference in your participation.

Congratulations. What are you looking at buying? I had a friend once that said “free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it”. Nevertheless, I’m always willing to give and seek it. Always ask. I’ve been been boating for 50 years and I still ask for opinions on even simple matters. Someone always knows more than I do. This is a great forum for information. Good luck! Some of the most fun you will have is searching for the right boat and finding it.

Last edited:
The boat I bought I absolutely love knowing it would be costly to bring it up to my standards. The one big surprise was the amount of hacks in the wiring. I knew it would need work but after a few months of ownership I realized a full rewire is in order. This coming week I have a certified marine electrician start a total rewire including replacing all bilge pumps, high water alarms, and anything else he finds. As far as budget on the whole project goes I doubled what I thought it would cost. As of now I think I am about 10 boat bucks low. So far I have replaced the batteries, replaced the electronics with Garmin, replaced the VHF with Icom, added AIS transponder and two cameras one rear view one engine room, replaced the inverter and had a new Generator installed. The to do list is longer.

A dreamer... yes I am guilty. I resemble many of these comments. I think I am realistic and try to be well researched using The Hull Truth, TF, You Tube, Current Owners, Brokers and just about any nut who loves talking about boats. I seriously have a problem that all of you apparently share. How lucky to be in such company! I am ever the sceptic checking one persons answer against others and look for consensus. IMO searched answers can be stale with age and I want the latest thinking. SO, sorry I have definitely asked questions that surface often. After all I don't want to make decisions based on a search that seems to indicate the CQR is all the rage. I know how to use the search function but most times want to find very specific information that is from today and more often than not all of you deliver. I sincerely appreciate the seemingly limitless knowledge of the collective! So...Spade, Rocna, or Manson? WIth a swivel?

I bought essentially a project boat with a decent engine.

I started living aboard after the first winter on the hard.

I cruised 2000 miles that next winter, all while doing projects on her. I had an on call job, so getting work done a lot of the time was not hard or expensive.

I have a boat that just was insurance surveyed at more than I paid for it...

So for those that say a project boat isn't worth it, maybe true, but if that's all you can afford to get onboard and are handy enough and creative enough...it can be done and isn't a waste of time or money.

So it depends on a few things but listening to some are just not seeing what can and does happen more than they think.

Explain your logic

I am definitely a newbie / dreamer looking to do the loop.
I have learned a lot from this forum including:
I am not a boat nut. Sorry
I still really like the idea of doing the loop with several side trips.
I want a boat to enable a trip not a trip to justify a boat.
I don't see much need for a planing boat.
Diesel engines suit me much better than gas.
AIS sounds like a great idea.
People have very different ideas about reasonable.

I learned those things from people who showed the respect to explain why they said something rather than just saying this so so because I say so.

So to me the best way to deal with us dreamers is to give honest answers with some explanation of your thought process.
Thanks

If you've ever been in a facebook group and tried to find info on a particular subject you'll probably be back here quickly!

FB is terrible for me because I like to follow through on a topic without spending an eternity looking through miscellaneous "stuff." I very rarely look at FB, and am not sure why I have an account. It is probably not much better than twitter (I do not DO twitter, so am guessing a bit). It seems it is for the "here and now" types who care only ongoing conversations. I looked at the Mainship page see few posts, and what's there is just a jumble of topics.

“Good judgement come from experience ... experience comes from bad
judgment ”.
I have plenty of experience, and I think, if we’re honest, we all do. At the end of the day, many of life’s greatest pleasures (boats, car's, planes, relationships) and disappointments (boats, cars, planes, relationships), are decisions based on passion and not cold hard logic. If it doesn’t bankrupt you, then enjoy the moment and let it go. Life might be shorter than you think! As a health care professional, I’ve never heard anyone’s last words be “I wish I had worked more, or saved more money”. Let dreamers dream, that might be as good as it gets.

“Good judgement come from experience ... experience comes from bad
judgment ”.
I have plenty of experience, and I think, if we’re honest, we all do. At the end of the day, many of life’s greatest pleasures (boats, car's, planes, relationships) and disappointments (boats, cars, planes, relationships), are decisions based on passion and not cold hard logic. If it doesn’t bankrupt you, then enjoy the moment and let it go. Life might be shorter than you think! As a health care professional, I’ve never heard anyone’s last words be “I wish I had worked more, or saved more money”. Let dreamers dream, that might be as good as it gets.

When some one comes on with that kind of question, I respect the person because they are attempting to do their homework. I feel badly when an arrogant so and so's take them on for their naivety. We were all virgins once. At least with the newbie introverts, it takes a degree of courage to come onto a forum in which it is believed everyone is experienced except you (I know that isn't true, you know that isn't true, but they may not know it isn't true).

I have belonged to all manners of forum types - photography, motorcycles, model railroading, biking, running, etc. And there are those who tell some who are posting for the first few times to use the search function and those questions will be answered. But forums are for human interaction and I (and many of you) prefer to talk to others in our search for answers. If Covid has taught us one thing, it is how social we human being are, how we need and crave social interaction.

Whenever I have brought questions here, you can be guaranteed I probably put hours into searching answers on the net. But I still want to hear from experienced types why they think the way they do.

And as hard as it is to believe, there are many people out there who have never really participated in forums, including young folk as well as the obvious old folk. I have no problem in being told to use the search function if the person answered as follows - "here is what I think, this is why I think it, here are some further links that may help you out, and the search function here is your friend."

Very well written RSN, there can be a lot of scrutiny here to an innocent legit question.!
Listen me son, we all started in a 12’ aluminum boat!

It seems that this forum attracts a lot of not-yet boat owners.

Some of them seem to be chasing a dream, something like this:

They plan to find a low engine hour trawler that has been perfectly maintained, hopefully less than 10 years old, available at a heavily discounted purchase price. Having previously navigated around a lake a few times, they plan to immediately move-aboard and "do the loop".

What's the best way to provide newcomers with information without becoming a dream-killer?

I think the best way is to provide a variety of honest answers from different viewpoints. Sometimes that means encouragement, sometimes questions, and sometimes it means killing a dream based on unreasonable expectations. We've even had some recently where safety was a serious factor and that's where I feel the forum has a significant responsibility. I see people encouraged on Cruisers forum to proceed with dangerous and risky plans and I find that to be irresponsible. One just shouldn't encourage a non boater to buy a 20' sailboat and start a circumnavigation without any training. I think here we encourage most newbies, while trying to help them have a realistic view. There are very few that are offered strong discouragement and when that happens, it's generally for their safety.

I think we need to listen and to ask for enough information to offer intelligent advice. Then we can generally provide a path or means for them to achieve their goals. It may be far different than what they anticipated but realistic. If they ignore all advice, that's their right, but when they lash out at forum members whose advice they dislike, then they are wrong. You come to a forum and post, you'll get opinions and that includes some you may not like but that's part of it. If they are respectful to forum members, then they'll be shown respect, but those who disrespect the forum or it's members, deserve no respect themselves.

The goal is to try to give them the information so they can make the decision that is right for them. If that decision is financially unwise, as long as they're informed about the cost, that's their right. All boats are financially poor decisions. If it's something they aren't qualified or trained to do, they need to be advised how to get there. If it is unsafe, they need to be strongly discouraged. Each person must be treated differently.

I think the vast majority of persons asking do so very well and they get a wide variety of answers, altogether very helpful. For those discouraged by forum members talking about costs or maintenance or other facets of the reality of boating, if they're going to give up the idea that easily then they were provided a service as they surely would have given up at great cost to themselves and serious trauma had the tried.

There are a lot of disgruntled boaters and former boaters out there who say "if I'd only known" and follow that talking about the money or the stress or heartache they would have avoided. Our task is to inform so they do know. If that kills a dream, the dream never stood a chance of being realized.

It's hard for us to recognize that boating isn't for everyone and if we only paint the rosy picture of boating as we experience it, then that's not enough.

I love reading all the different answers to one newbie's questions from a wide variety of TF members. I think it's the collective nature that makes it good. One person will discourage a boat in need of a lot of work while another will talk about the work they did and how they love the boat they bought in similar condition. We don't know who the person asking is most like. There are some here who love working on the boat more than boating itself while others of us who do very little working on our boats.

I remember when we first posted on another forum asking for advice on boats of a certain size. We were told if it wasn't Dutch, it was no good. We were told if it wasn't steel, we were going to run over a container floating at sea and drown. We were told the wiring on all Italian boats was horrible and that all UK boats would have spidering in the gelcoat. We had to sort through it but it was all valuable, just some more than other. On one brand we saw reference to a lawsuit on just the model we liked and read the entire set of legal documents. Then on the builder we found ourselves leaning toward, we found several people on the forum who had run their boats extensively, many boats over many years, and we found no one with experience on their boats who didn't like them. However, that doesn't mean the other opinions weren't valuable. Sorting through them all, evaluating them, thinking about them, all helped us make the best decision for ourselves.

People need to receive many opinions, both the positive and the negative ones. Perhaps they need to watch members argue among themselves. Even your best friend with 30 years of experience can lead you down the wrong path for you. I have a good friend who is a captain and if he had his way everyone would buy a Sportfishing boat. I won't buy a boat without a lower helm. I have a captain friend who disparages all Italian boats. That is based on bad experiences with a couple of brands, but we own Riva and manage Riva for members of our extended family and we've had no issues and love them. Now, that happens to be one brand he lacks experience with.

If all you want is to ask a question and get the answer you want, then I'd highly recommend asking it to a mirror and not in a forum. If what you want is an open dialogue and a combination of encouragement but caution and as much information and as many different opinions as possible, then this is the place.

As to your example of lake to loop, most of us here have made great leaps. If you're like us, you wouldn't trade the boating life you have now for anything, but you also understand the path it took to get there. I have 30 years of boating, 99.9% on a single lake and going from 17' to 30'. I was not in any way qualified to safely get out on the ocean nor to even buy a boat. My wife and I dreamed but then we asked "How?" We looked online and read and we signed up for classes and then we were told we needed hands on training and from there it took off. Everyone here had different paths and experiences and when they respond those do influence the responses, but it's all about helping the newbie find their way. For the occasional newcomer who feels they already know it all even though facts say quite the opposite, then frankly until they accept otherwise, no one can help them. And as to their dreams, no they aren't dreams. They are fantasies and there is a huge difference.

Hello All - Yes, a Dreamer here, but also a Planner.

I thought I would 'jump in'.

The best description I've ever heard of a boat is that it is a large hole in the water. Your purpose as a boat owner is to throw money into the hole and fill it up. It never really gets filled up, so you never stop throwing money into it.

That would kill a lot of dreams. I have a sense of humour so I get a laugh out of the definition, but that's me.

Add to this that the time you spend on the water in the aforementioned boat probably cannot be replaced by anything else. There is time spent, and time well spent. There is also time that is valued beyond measure. I consider time 'on the water' (and about it) in the last category.

Yes, I dream about getting my own boat one day and returning to spending time on the water. It's been awhile - a lifetime. I know very well that the cheapest boat I can find is very unlikely to bring me happiness. I also know that the type of boats I like (roomy, big, expensive) will require an investment about the same as buying a quality house. It will also cost a lot more to insure, maintain, and run. I'm planning for this. I'm planning to spend enough money to 'buy the Earth' and a little more so I can have what I want. I also realize that in many ways this is an unnecessary expense in my life. It is a desire.

I would be disappointed if anyone sent me a sugar coated reply. Same if they lied to me. So, please do not do either. I value good advice from people I someday hope to be friends with.

I've made my plans, and now I am working my plans. Yes, it is working. One day I'll get there. It will probably take 5 years or maybe more, but I'll do it.

No candy. No lies. No sarcasm. Honesty, truth and encouragement are appreciated. I'm a dreamer, yes, but I'm also a realist. I'm a 'newbie' right now, but I won't be forever.

My two cents worth. Play safe.

The best description I've ever heard of a boat is that it is a large hole in the water. Your purpose as a boat owner is to throw money into the hole and fill it up. It never really gets filled up, so you never stop throwing money into it.

I've heard it described a different way. This applies to sailing more than powerboating, but advice to dreamers would be: "Stand in a cold shower lighting $100 bills on fire. Think that's fun? Great, you're a boater!"

"In reality, it is not truth which kills the dream. It is unrealistic expectations."

In the past folks had boats , usually bigger and bigger as they could afford the move up , till finally living aboard was a rational idea.

Today folks want to skip the learning curve and jump right in.

My advice is perhaps it will work for you perhaps not. So avoid Bestitis.

Start with a modest common (CHEAP) like an old Bayliner 25 -30 ft IO, use it a while and then run the loop. This will cost $5,000 to $10,000 , and can be sold anywhere. Do not get a "fixer er up er" , just a running clean old boat someone is done with.

The loop has been done in 16 ft outboards for decades so the only hassle may be comfort on rain days from limited internal volume.

Read what you can about small boat cruising and learn to compromise.

Your next boat can be a 75 ft Abeking & Rasmussen for a world tour.

This is a great thread!

I like this. Good input, ideas, and diversity.

And... Annie Lennox - hard to beat!

What I'm thinking is much like the advice being given here. I do not want a 'fixer upper', just a reasonably good boat to start with. I'll talk with brokers and get a reference to one or two good surveyors. I'll talk about what I want (when I decide) but I'm going to keep an open mind to suggestions, alternatives and opportunities. I've put a lot of thought into it and I believe something in the 30' to 33' foot range would be a great start for a trawler or a cruiser. It's just to get me back on the water and to re-aquaint myself with boat handling. Who knows, I may never want anything bigger than that. I'll probably look to spend some time with a runabout even before I do that - I think basic boat handling is better learned without the 'tonnage' involved - docking mistakes would be less expensive.

I really like the idea of starting with a well known brand and model of boat than can be bought and sold without a lot of fuss. Great idea. I'm also thinking - go back out onto the water with people who have experience - so wherever I'm located at the time I'll be looking for people to 'team up' with.

My past experiences are lake boating, so I feel it best for me to 'get my feet wet' (or re-wetted) on the lakes and not on the ocean.

Until I am able to financially do something about even a smaller boat - I have plenty of time to research and to study, and to make new friends.

Finally, until we have better means to deal with the new unfriendly 'COVID' world, studying and research is the priority.

I feel qualified to answer this as I am this person. I had a runabout for 25 years. When I first got a boat I checked out every boat book the library had. I was almost ashamed as the boat was a 1972 17’ trihull Cheetah. I traded up to a Larson 20’ bow rider in 2001. 7 months ago I decided to buy a mainship 390 and took it about 500 miles to Nashville from Louisville KY.
I tried to fully describe my plan and my knowledge level in a post on this forum and the advice was wonderful and extremely helpful. Some of it conflicted and choose the best answer based on what I thought I knew.
I made it home with out incident and part of it was luck. I watched the temp gauge closely but I didn’t change the impeller. It wasn’t terrible but it was stupid of me not to do that before we brought it home. When I pulled it it was rough.
I think the proper response to anyone who asks these type questions is to respond with questions. That’s what you did for me and it was a big help.
I agree with a previous responder. If you’re lazy don’t do this. It takes a lot of research and planning. I read a lot about handling a single screw and it worked pretty much like you all said it would. I’m still learning.
Great site and great crew here.

Hawk

Back
Top Bottom