Fresh water vs saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

japayne

I am selling my sailboat and am looking for a used Mainship 34 pilot or Rumrunner. My sailboat is a freshwater boat and most Mainships are saltwater boats. I would appreciate any advice or input regarding saltwater boats.

I owned a Mainship Pilot 34 for 5 years and many other trawler and sailboats used in salt water over the years. These boats are designed to operate in salt water. There are some systems that deteriorate faster in salt water and others that foul with precipitated carbonates from the sea water.

Zincs in the engine and on the hull- transom, prop shaft and trim tabs keeps the under water metals in check. The front middle opening window which is mounted in a sheet aluminum frame deteriorates and blisters due to salt water. Scraping down to bare metal, priming with an etching primer and coating with an aluminum compatible finish coat keeps it under control.

Other deck metals are all stainless steel, except for maybe the windlass depending on the model which can have an aluminum casing so the treatment is the same as the windows.

Salt water used in cooling the engine, genset and air conditioning does foul heat exchanger surfaces faster than fresh. But a flush with Barnacle Buster or Rydlime takes care of it. You probably will also have to service the after cooler and it does deteriorate faster in salt water than fresh so read the Sbmar.com articles on aftercooler servicing and do it once. You will probably not need to do it again if you operate in fresh water.

So all of this work which may or may not have to be done will take a day or two of your or your mechanic's labor and then your boat will be fine for your fresh water use.

David

Thread moved from "Welcome Mat" to "General Discussion".

Jerry
Welcome aboard TF from a MS owner.
I agree with what David posted with a few addn'l comments...

When we were in the market a few yrs ago we looked at a couple of salt water boats and I have to say they showed more wear & tear than what I am used to with fresh water boats.
I looked hard for a FW MS 34HT and finally found it... and love it
I have to admit that a lot of condition is dependent on the owner but IMO I think I'd prefer a FW boat from a reasonably attentive owner to a salt water boat from a fussy owner but that's just my opinion.
I think you will find FW boats commanding a premium price and for good reason.
There are frequently FW MS boats that come on the market from the Great Lakes, NY 1,000 Is & Kentucky / Tenn Lakes / waterways and Canada.
Good luck with the search.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom