Fresh water tanks, BPA and cancer..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haylands

Vessel Name
Barefoot Lady
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
My wife is a breast cancer survivor and as such now takes any and all precautions to try to prevent it's return.

One area that is far from clear is the effect of BPA, a harmful synthetic estrogen. It is used widely in plastics such as:

PVC (POLYVINYL CHLORIDE)
POLYSTYRENE
POLYCARBONATE,
BIOPLASTIC
ACRYLIC
EPOXY RESIN

The BPA is not stable in these plastics and any abrasion to the surface will leach BPA into whatever is contained within. The effects are not yet fully known but there is "some" evidence that even small amounts of BPA can have an adverse effect especially with hormone led cancer, and if you can avoid it then why not...!!! Lets face it the scientists of the day a few hundred years ago thought lead plates were fine to eat off...!!!

BPA plastic is banned in baby products (bottles, food containers etc) in the USA, Australia and here in the UK as well as other places so there is more evidence that it's not such a great idea to expose yourself to it...

So the dilema is, what are "plastic" Fresh water holding tanks made of, the ones on Defender I can find, are PVC, about the worst plastic going, not only does it contain BPA but the manufacture of PVC creates dioxin, a potent carcinogen that contaminates humans, animals and the environment. It also contains phthalates to soften it. These have been linked to male reproductive problems and birth defects.

On the other hand the wastewater holding tanks are made of polyethylene, one of the safest plastics going...!!!!

I know there are lots of ways to avoid drinking water from holding tanks anyway, just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this...

You can't filter or boil BPA from water...

We are not fanatical about all this, heck there are 1001 ways to meet your maker but BPA was made as a synthetic estrogen a long time before someone found it was good in plastic and estrogen is exactly what my good lady is trying to avoid to keep the dreaded cancer at bay...

Thanks..

Rotomolded plastic water and waste tanks are made from low density polyethylene (LDPE). Custom welded plastic tanks are either PE or polypropylene.

In the UK Tek-Tanks Tek Tanks Boat Tanks is your best source for water and waste tanks.

Yes, those Plastimo flexible water tanks are made of PVC and although some manufacturers say that it is FDA approved, I wouldn't want it on my boat. The other manufacturers of flexible water tanks on Defender say that they have three layers, the inside one presumably is safe for water storage.

But permanent tanks in boats are either rotomolded polyetheylene as Peggie notes which is safe for water storage or aluminum or sometimes stainless steel, all of which are safe.

FWIW rigid PVC as used in home piping does not have the plasticizer additives that the flexible stuff has, so the rigid stuff is safe for water.

David

Last edited:
Thanks Peggie and David, our boat will be your side of the pond, far too cold over here...!!!

Good to know as all those are fine....

Last edited:
If you'll be buying a tank over here, Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is your best source for water and waste tanks. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

We haven't bought a boat yet, it's just a fare few have plastic tanks but never state what sort of plastic, just trying to plan ahead.... Thanks for the info..

I wonder what PEX and other plastic pipes add to the water?

I use copper tubing .

I use copper tubing .

A short primer on plastics:

Many single compound plastics are very inert and do not add detectable amounts of contaminants to water: polyethylene (PEX and rotomolded tanks) and rigid PVC (used in home piping).

Other plastcs either release a bit of the compound from which they are made- polycarbonate releases a little BPA or flexible PVC which blends a bit of phthalates with the PVC to make it flexible and a little of the phthalate gets released.

If a plastic releases anything into the water, I wouldn't use it.

David

I use copper tubing .

Can not imagine plastic water pipe being a problem, think of the consequences.

My boat has a SS tank, and all copper pipes. Copper is good for keeping water clean from bacteria and fungus.

These copper pipes are original to this boat, from 1970. They are mechanically joined, using ferrules and nuts, not soldered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom