Fresh Water tank venting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
I have two water tanks that have separate fill ports and vent lines
The starboard tank vent line is clogged and I have to remove it to get it clean or replaced.
This clog I believe causes this tank to continuously burp water back up the fill line requiring constant monitoring to get the tank full.

The port side vent is operational but when filling this tank the water eventually blows back past the water hose indicating it is full.

Both vent lines terminate about 2/3’s of the way down in the water column.
I don’t understand this. Why aren’t they just open into the top of the tank?

Seems like when filling that water would blow out the vents when full and any extra pressure would be released out the fill port. There must be a reason for this design but I don’t know what it is. I guess maybe a bit of water sloshing out through the vent in rough seas when the tank is full?
I have included a very simple drawing of the present tank system.
Thanks

Attachments

• A8CD4CF3-7BAC-4F34-AEE4-E54D0915E074.jpeg
    A8CD4CF3-7BAC-4F34-AEE4-E54D0915E074.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 35
You don't want the vent lines open inside of the boat. Overfilling or sloshing will drain into the hull. If you're inattentive during water filling you could accidentally flood and sink the boat. The vent must come out the top of the tank and must vent overboard.

The vent through-hull can't be higher than the top of the tank. You don't want a wave, grey-water from boat washing, or contaminants (bird poop) to wash into the tank through the vent.

To fix this the vent through hull ii placed lower than the vent outlet on the tank, or a loop is placed in the vent line with the loop going ABOVE the discharge through-hull. This way, anything that gets in through the vent, drains back out the vent and not into the tank, contaminating the water.

Maybe I didn’t pose my question properly.
I don’t want to vent inside the hull. The existing vents will remain in use. They exit outside about 2 feet above the tank with downward facing screened holes to prevent bugs etc from entering. The vents are well above any seawater wash unless something else is terribly wrong.
My question is do the vent lines need to project so far down into the tank or can they just terminate at tye Inside the top of the tanks as pictured in my new drawing and listed as #2 Proposed Plumbing.
#1 is the existing plumbing.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2ADD5C0E-19B9-43F7-A80F-E05137F22196.jpeg
    2ADD5C0E-19B9-43F7-A80F-E05137F22196.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 111
Vent lines should be connected to a hose fitting that's on the outside of the tank. Water and fuel tank vents should have a high arch in them to keep sea water from getting into the tank via the vent. (Arch isn't needed on a holding tank vent).

If your water tanks vent line extends into the tank, I strongly suspect the vent line was a DIY install by a clueless PO. If he use a Uniseal UNISEAL it'll be easy to fix.
--Peggie

Thanks Peggy. I am inferring from your information that the vent should “not “extend down into the water column?
If this is the case then it is an easy fix as all I need to do is pull the extended pvc pipe out of its fitting at the inside top of the tank.

Thank you
Bones

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's a non-workable design. The part of the vent that goes into the tank needs to be in air not fluid. Air can't vent through a fluid which is why sink traps work to keep odors out.

As an example, if you take a tank (say a black tank in an RV) and fill it up to the point where the vent end (coming in the top of the tank, but sometimes extending in a couple of inches due to installer did not trim it correctly) is in fluid not air, then you will know when the black tank is almost full as it will "burp" at you when you flush it. This is because the vent end (in the tank) is now covered in fluid, and doesn't have air to work with. It stops working as a vent at that point in time. Vent end inside tank must be in an air environment that extends cleanly (no low points with trapped water) to the atmosphere.

It's like you have that happening all the time.

But you can test this: Fill the tanks to only a point below the vent inlet, and they should work normally (presuming there is no "dip tube" extending them down to the bottom of the tank :nonono:). Once the water level in the tank goes up over where the vents go in, then the problems you have should start, because the vent will be under water when it needs to be in air.

Frosty

PS: I have had vent lines on boats that terminated inside the boat. It's okay as long as it is high enough that water won't come out when heeling or filling. Not the only way to go though.

One thing to think about is that air is being sucked IN that vent line every time you run water. So try not to have it someplace where it can suck in things you don't want in your water (mold; I have seen them terminate in anchor lockers) (diesel fumes) (etc.). If the vent terminates inside you can put a filter on it which can be a good way to go. Vent hoses are often mold filled (ewwww, cause that's being sucked into your tank constantly).

Last edited:
Is there any chance that at some point someone disconnected the fill and vent lines and then reversed them when reconnecting? A fill line could go down into the tank, but a vent line shouldn’t.

Yes, you can simply remove the part of the vent line that goes down inside the tank and replace it with a fitting connecting between the tank and the vent. Nothing should go down inside the tank from the vent line. I didn't know about the vent being the same height as the top of the tank, but it makes sense, and I have a hose loop connecting the tank and the vent as well.

I "T" d off one of mine and used one side of the T for my water maker connection, the other side is the vent, bottom of the T is the water tank. Both of my tanks are vented, and cross feed from the bottom so they are equalized in volume.

Both ends of the vent (tank and exit) have to be in free air, above any liquid that will ever be in the tank. There also can't be any "traps" (low spots in vent where water can pool).

So the vent has to be at the very topmost part of the tank *as it exits the tank*. It can't start down in the tank and then go up, dip into the tank, or originate below the top of the tank. If it does any of those things it doesn't matter if it ends up at skyscraper height, it still won't perform as a vent (vent has to be in air from start to finish).

If water sits in the vent at any point -- or it originates below the upper water level of the tank -- then it will act as a trap. A trap purposely does not allow air through (why your bathroom and kitchen at home don't stink like the sewer they drain into - because air can't get through a trap filled with water).

To this end, typically a vent is just a fitting (say a pipe thread to barb straight fitting) that is screwed into a boss on the very top of the tank. There is no pipe or tube or hose going into the tank on the inside of the boss. This way the fitting is at the very topmost part of the tank, and then the vent hose/tube goes up from there, in free air all the way.

Last edited:
All is good now. New vent line to replace the collapsed one. Both tanks fill perfectly with no burping. I have enclosed photos of the port side before removing the down pipe and after. The starboard side is buried under a bench seat and very difficulty to work on.
Thanks to all for the help. Bones

Attachments

• A1A1BB5A-45D6-4A1F-8A31-FE248F8C6427.jpeg
    A1A1BB5A-45D6-4A1F-8A31-FE248F8C6427.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0700F604-C2A6-40D5-9E60-2F713CE2C82D.jpeg
    0700F604-C2A6-40D5-9E60-2F713CE2C82D.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 17
Interesting. That "vent" with down tube (aka pickup) looks like the point you draw from on sailboat water tanks I've had. Point of having it that way was so a leak couldn't make you lose all your water at sea (say if you draw from bottom exterior of tank and there is a fitting/clamp/hose issue).

I see you have it fixed now, but did that used to be where the pump took water from the tank to your fixtures?

(dhays also mentioned this above, before I did; but at that point I hadn't visualized this pick up type tube.)

Thanks Peggy. I am inferring from your information that the vent should “not “extend down into the water column?
If this is the case then it is an easy fix as all I need to do is pull the extended pvc pipe out of its fitting at the inside top of the tank. Thank you

Without seeing it, I'd say that should solve the problem. Leave at least 1" inside the tank and enough above the tank to put a hose onto, secured by two hose clamps with screws 180 apart.

And as I said previously, make sure the vent line--which can be flex pvc #148, but NOT clear water hose--has a high arch in it just before the thru-hull.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom