Fresh Water supply pump intermittent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Howdy, my fresh water pump fails to come on from time to time. I found one suspect power connection and repaired but in the past if I just gave the pump a wrap with a screw driver it would run properly for months and then fail again. The vibration could be enough to have woken up the poor connection or might it be an internal failure.?
My question is if it fails in a similar fashion after repairing the one connection today, is there maintenance of any kind besides impeller replacement?
Pump is a Shurflo 2088-423-344. Thanks

Looking at the pump and seeing it has a pressure switch mounted on it I suspect dirty or worn switch contacts. Do you have a pressure tank accumulator installed? Pump should run up to 55psi before shutdown and come on at 25psi.
https://www.pumpagents.com/ShurfloPumps/2088-423-344.html

Last edited:
Well of course you're having problems, your boat is pointing straight up (your avatar is 90 degrees off).

By a spare. When it bothers you enough, swap it out.

Ted

Thanks for the input.

Buy a 120VAC water pump and run it off your inverter.

I don’t have an inverter.

I will wager the switch is a snap switch OR *Micro switch*. They are not terribly long lasting in this application. The contacts will burn causing what you are experiencing.

It is the turning off that burns the contacts.

A new switch should be available from the mfgr. through the local chandlery.
Buy two and keep a spare.

THe pages posted above show the parts available and the switch is part of it although it looks like the sw. may not be available by itself. ASK if it is available by itself.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will take a look.
Much appreciated!

If you take the front of the pump apart (easy) you'll find a common micro switch found in many appliances. I will look similar to the picture. Do a search for the number printed on the switch. It will cost $3-5.

Attachments

• Micro Switch_sm.jpg
    Micro Switch_sm.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 4
Excellent, thanks all.

Does the motor have brushes? Stuck brushes or stuck micro switch are the two failures that would respond to a thumping. In my book the pump has put you on notice that it is ready for retirement. I would replace it rather than being inconvenienced.

IF you can, install a large 6 to 20 gallon accumulator the pump will not need to operate as often .

Yup, if one has the space, a Grundfos, with its own internal tank, is a bullet proof solution to all fresh water problems. It delivers 55 pounds of pressure and at far more volumes than one could ever use aboard a boat. Never suffer pulsating delivery and low pressure again.. Overkill, yes, but so what. The damn thing works and won't ever fail. It is designed to be a booster pump on farms and summer cottages that draw water from lakes.
Buy a 120VAC water pump and run it off your inverter.

Back
Top Bottom