Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Fresh Water Filter

I currently have a GE "smartwater" two element system under the galley sink, it has a dedicated spigot and works fine but the flow is very low even with new filters.
I would like to eliminate it and put a "Whole House" filter to filter all of the fresh water, to the galley and two heads.
I know normally this filter would be placed at the outlet of the fresh water pump, on my boat it would be a much easier and neater installation if I mounted it in place of the strainer now about two feet ahead of the pump, between the water tank and the pump. It would protect the pump, the water tank is higher than the strainer location so it should have some positive head. The pump I believe is a 2.5 gpm Jabsco vane type with accumulator tank.
My question is does anyone have a filter so located have you had pump problems with such an installation?
All replies, suggestions, and comments welcome!
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

City: Toronto
I am thinking of doing the very same thing. Something tells me that the pump will not have enough suction to get enough water through the filter media, that's why the filters are on the pressure side of the pump.
I'm not entirely sure on this and I too look forward to comments from someone with this exp. Frank B.
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Sailor View Post
I am thinking of doing the very same thing. Something tells me that the pump will not have enough suction to get enough water through the filter media, that's why the filters are on the pressure side of the pump.
I'm not entirely sure on this and I too look forward to comments from someone with this exp. Frank B.
Correct!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
The filter between the tank and the pump will not work or work poorly.
My BIL tried that and wondered why he got no water at all.

Pumps need low to no resistance aat the suction side and that filter is a resistance to flow.

Pumps push much better than pull.

Use a screen to protect the pump from larger bits and install the filter just after the pump.
Use a ball valve on each side of the filter head so you can change the filter without losing a lot of water and making a mess.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote