Old 10-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #21

City: St. Louis
If you have a U-Line ice maker, NovaKool make a 12v / 120v freezer that fits in the U-Line space perfectly.
We did this on our boat and got a desktop Frigidaire Ice maker to replace the U-Line.
Wonderfullife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #22

City: Newport Beach
Love this unit. Two years and going strong.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1971 GB Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #23

City: Hamilton
Vessel Name: Moon Dragon
Vessel Model: 1989 IG32
Our IG32 refrigerator is powered by propane, 12V or 110V and as already been mentioned, has a very small freezer. It also has a very well insulated ice chest, just under 3 cu.ft.. The problem of course, when add 10# of ice, there is not much room for food.
Our 2nd winter project (to begin in two weeks) is converting it to a freezer powered using a BD50 Danfoss 12V compressor and a VD151 Dometic Evaporator.
Calculations suggest a less than 50% duty cycle meaning a 2.5 amp hour draw. Given our 440 amp hour battery bank, worst case is 40 amp hours without a recharge method in place.
An interesting side note - on a three week cruise in August this year, one of the hottest on record, we spent approx $100 on ice. Full time cruising it would pay for itself in less than a year.
Leo Reise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #24

City: Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Arctic Jade
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 42
We’ve got a small chest freezer on the sun deck mounted along side our washer/dryer. They’re wired to a 110 GFCI outlet. Works great for us.
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #25

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Last Hurrah
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
The two drawer would be ideal but it is too high.

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero II View Post
You say you have room for a 4.5 cu. ft., but are looking at a 1.2 Vitrifrigo single-drawer cooler. I'm confused.
We replaced our old NorCold, with the miniscule freezer, with the Vitrifrigo 2-drawer unit (freezer on top), and love it. Works great in our GB 36, looks great, and holds all the things we want. A minimal of wood butchery to fit, and we haven't looked back.
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #26

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Last Hurrah
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
No product dimensions on the Brass Monkey website.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V View Post
Any freezer with that name just forced me to check it out. Pretty good product from what I saw. Too bad they don't make it for 120v operation although they ship worldwide.
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
World wide 120V AC operation would make things more complicated for them as 120VAC 60Hz is in fact NOT world wide. We are the only continent that uses 60Hz power. There are 47 countries out of 247 that use 60 Hz power. See the website below.

Many countries do not use 120V 60 Hz power , rather 380/220V OR 400/230V at 50 Hz. Of course we do use other voltages based on 60Hz.
Maybe they decided it is not worth the effort to design other than the 12/24V DC units.

It can be done but with a 12/24V DC operation then most vessels can operate the equipment on 12/24VDC

I bought a unit as a 12/24V DC & 120V AC and have never used the AC. I just plug in the charger and let it look after the fridge.

https://www.generatorsource.com/Volt...y_Country.aspx
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:30 AM   #28
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I suggest as others have to avoid spending big bucks for refrigeration/freezers for your boat. I firmly believe that spending the big bucks for a 12V so called marine fridge/freezer is beyond my accepted limits for wasteful spending.

15 years ago I purchased an 8.3cuft Summit apartment fridge ($550 delivered) for our boat with a great freezer that features self defrost. It continues to run flawlessly and ice cream gets rock hard.

I designed a simple relay system to operate from dock power when available and changes to my 4KW true sine wave inverter immediately if dock AC is not there. Geez…..still thrilled about it having self defrost!
As long as you are comfortable with using triple the amount of electricity for a domestic 120VAC fridge, your choice is good for you.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle
The high efficiency modern domestic fridges use less electricity than those Danfoss’ and about half what a traditional domestic does.

However the best ones are European 230V-50hz, usually in the 130-300 litre range. Most utilize digital inverter tech.

When I lived in Qatar my Samsung measured about 1kW of electric daily and it was (roughly) about 320 liters
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:29 PM   #30
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
The high efficiency modern domestic fridges use less electricity than those Danfoss’ and about half what a traditional domestic does.

However the best ones are European 230V-50hz, usually in the 130-300 litre range. Most utilize digital inverter tech.

When I lived in Qatar my Samsung measured about 1kW of electric daily and it was (roughly) about 320 liters
Less? Perhaps, but how about finding us one that would replace those you see in the picture with the specs that support your assertion. The Virtifrigos you see in the picture draw .57 amps on 120VAC. I'll wait. And I'll eat crow if you find anything that beats that number. European models are not relevant to those in North America.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_132604.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	122588
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote