Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
Freeze Protection

Hey I need advice:
I'm in the process of buying a 42 ft grand banks that is in Southport NC, this weekend and into the 1st part of next week the temps are going to be in the lower 20's at night.
I don't think the owner has a plan for freeze protection, would turning on the 3 AC/heat units keep everything from freezing or would heaters placed in strategic places be needed?

The haul out and Mech surveys might be accomplished this week so the freeze may come after these are done.

Am I being over cautious?

What is ya'll thought?

OBX
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #2

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Regarding "Freeze Protection"...

Move to where I am, Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico, and you'll never have to worry about it. Just Sayin'.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Guru

The most exposed component of our trawler was pilothouse window washers. These had frozen before we purchased the vessel in Florida. Anything below the water level should be fine for a night or two. Drain water from galley and FW heads. The reverse AC should definitely keep things from freezing but it is not clear whether you are considering running those on the hard (which you can not do). Out of the water, I would definitely run some electric space heaters, and make sure the yard does not disconnect the electricity!!.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The water (that the boat is sitting in) won't freeze. That's a lot of protection. Since you have heat, you could run it at a low temperature (say 65 degrees) and that will protect the inside.

You should know that reverse cycle AC units become very inefficient as the water temperature reaches 40 degrees or so so that may not be a viable choice.

Self standing electric heaters have a problem of falling over on a boat. West Marine sells one designed for boats that has a very low profile and would be almost impossible to upset.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My marina prohibits electric heaters with a fan from being run unattended. The reason is that if the fan fails, the electric element can overheat and potentially cause a fire. This rule was based on some marina fires in the PNW if I recall.

I keep two of the http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...FUVhfgodwawCewunits on my boat. One I keep in the aft, under cockpit storage area. There are some FW lines that run through there as well as some LA batteries. The second I keep in the forward cabin. I also have an old version of this unit that I keep in the ER full time https://www.wholesalemarine.com/davi...FYORfgodQgMHvA

So far in the short time I have owned the boat this has been adequate. This week with low temps will test that however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obx View Post
Hey I need advice:
I'm in the process of buying a 42 ft grand banks that is in Southport NC, this weekend and into the 1st part of next week the temps are going to be in the lower 20's at night.
I don't think the owner has a plan for freeze protection, would turning on the 3 AC/heat units keep everything from freezing or would heaters placed in strategic places be needed?

The haul out and Mech surveys might be accomplished this week so the freeze may come after these are done.

Am I being over cautious?

What is ya'll thought?

OBX
I understood afraid of a short-time freezing air?

As long as the sea water does not freeze does not occur damage to the boat's engine or the water system, water tank, copit shower etc , I have an experience of 30 years from here in winter really comes. of course if you stop the boating season is worth the drive machine glycol, water system, black water and etc.

I do not use any heaters, when I'm not on the boat!

how much sea water warm there?
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My marina prohibits electric heaters with a fan from being run unattended. The reason is that if the fan fails, the electric element can overheat and potentially cause a fire. This rule was based on some marina fires in the PNW if I recall.

I keep two of the WEST MARINE Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier 120V AC | West Marineunits on my boat. One I keep in the aft, under cockpit storage area. There are some FW lines that run through there as well as some LA batteries. The second I keep in the forward cabin. I also have an old version of this unit that I keep in the ER full time https://www.wholesalemarine.com/davi...FYORfgodQgMHvA

So far in the short time I have owned the boat this has been adequate. This week with low temps will test that however.

Hi, it is same product than westmarines dryer? Only 63$ and made in canada
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stor...irculator.html
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I'm going to make one other suggestion: Ask the marina manager and other boaters about what level of winterization they take.

Remember, while in the northern part of the country, winter usually lasts for several months, in the south, the below freezing temperatures are usually just a few hours per day and it may warm up into the fifties or higher by noon. There's a lot of thermal mass in a boat so just a couple hours below freezing probably won't harm it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm in the same area and have about 25yrs experience with the local winters and boats.

If boat is in the water, you really need to do nothing but drain any exterior water spigots/faucets/icemaker, whatever. Inside the boat the fresh water should be ok, but probably a good idea to simply run water tank out until faucets blow air, that takes care of the outside fittings too.

Engine room will be just fine.

Reverse cycle heat set on some low temp like 50F so they don't have to work real hard. If you try to get too much heat out of them, they can freeze up the evaporator and cause trouble.

On my boat I leave the heat off on cold days and do nothing else but blow out water system. Only thing left on is batt charger and dehumidifier. No other steps taken.

A boat on the hill has much more risk, especially to engine room stuff. That is a way different situation from being in the water.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
Obx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I'm in the same area and have about 25yrs experience with the local winters and boats.

If boat is in the water, you really need to do nothing but drain any exterior water spigots/faucets/icemaker, whatever. Inside the boat the fresh water should be ok, but probably a good idea to simply run water tank out until faucets blow air, that takes care of the outside fittings too.

Engine room will be just fine.

Reverse cycle heat set on some low temp like 50F so they don't have to work real hard. If you try to get too much heat out of them, they can freeze up the evaporator and cause trouble.

On my boat I leave the heat off on cold days and do nothing else but blow out water system. Only thing left on is batt charger and dehumidifier. No other steps taken.

A boat on the hill has much more risk, especially to engine room stuff. That is a way different situation from being in the water.
Thanks SKI
I was hoping someone in that area would have some suggestions. Everyone in different parts of the country have to do things different based upon their temps for that region.

I may just ask the broker if the current owner has a plan.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi, it is same product than westmarines dryer? Only 63$ and made in canada
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stor...irculator.html
Caframo makes the heaters for West marine. If you are in the market it is usually a little cheaper to buy Caframo than the private branded West Marine units as there are more sellers. Caframo is Canadian Fractional Motors and have been in business a long time.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
Obx

Thanks now they are says 1-3 inches of snow Friday night and 3-7 inches of snow Saturday but the temps are going to be in the teens and low 20's for a couple of days
Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #13

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
I second the use of Caframo heaters. I keep one in each head on auto start. I like them because they are manual, so if the power goes off, the heater will be at the right setting when it comes back on. I also have two Xtreme bilge heaters in the engine room.

We have had a few nights in the 20's here and my engine room temperature hasn't gotten below 40 and the heater hasn't kicked on.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obx View Post
Thanks now they are says 1-3 inches of snow Friday night and 3-7 inches of snow Saturday but the temps are going to be in the teens and low 20's for a couple of days
The air in a temperature is not the most important, you need to know the sea water temperature, this can determine whether you have a problem freeze.

for example, water is +5 ° C, outside air can be weeks -5 ° C internal temperature and the engine room of the boat + 2 ° C. still nothing does not break even within a few - ° C. Salty sea water3,5% freezes -4 ° C

To day we have littles cool day -20 C° is -4 farenhait and my boat is in warm storages
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We're facing the same types of temperatures you're facing this weekend on Pickwick, in Northern Mississippi. We're just maintaining heat to a decent level, supplementing with small infrared heaters. We're facing 30 degree highs and 18 degree lows, which is extremely unusual for the area. In advance we are warming the interior up higher than we'd normally keep it. Last time I checked remotely temperature was 72 degrees throughout.

My biggest fear in your case would be if it's pulled and out of the water for those days.

Now, I'm assuming that since the surveys are still to be done, you're not the owner of the boat. Therefore, you really can't do anything except have the broker inform the owner of what's ahead and ask if precautions are being taken. If you attempted to take action and somehow it was unsuccessful then you could be held liable.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
Obx

Yea I'm worried, maybe I don't need to be but wanting everything to come out ok so we can have fun cruising
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #17

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Obx you will have fun crusing. Go ahead and sweat it this time. You don't own it yet. As mentioned ask if the current owner has protection plan, and what is it? You may want to use it. Ask others in the area what they are doing. Use reason to create your plan. #9. Ski may have it right for your area. Good luck let us know as your aquisition concludes! Just kidding about sweating it. I think many of us have sweated during the winter chill over what we have done or should have!
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I agree with Toolbuddie post 17, might be a good idea to check with some of the locals to see what they do.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Seagulls standing on the ice about 50 meters from the end of my dock. Unusually cold here.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1483739412.495827.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	60196

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote