Free standing helm chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simon J

Vessel Name
Simon J
Vessel Make
Morton & Hersloff 36
I need to replace my helm chair, unfortunately there is an engine hatch directly below where the helm chair needs to be. Does anyone know of a sturdy free standing helm chair I can look into?

Still standing...

Look at Tightlinestackle.com Bulkhead mounted seat posts ,swing away, sturdy and affordable. You can have a local welder fab the same type

IF the hatch below the chair can be fastened down well, a nice tall portable pilot chair with a cable and snap fastening to a pad eye should be safe.

Last edited:
I use what is called a draftsman office chair or a task office chair (taller than regular office chair). I found one at a used office supply furniture store for $150. It retailed for $1600 new. It has adjustable height, as well as adjustable back, seat, armrests, lumbar support, etc. Extremely comfortable. I replaced the casters with factory glides/feet ($40). Our pilothouse is carpeted and the glides provide enough friction to keep my 260# in place during most sea conditions but make it easy to move for access when not in use. I have a padeye in the sole that can be quick connected to the pedestal with a nylon ratchet strap in rough seas.

I had previously used a Garelick base with a boating seat. I found it poorly designed and no longer available in the tall size.

Tator

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom