Free Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The real cost of boats

The total loss of value reveals the real total cost of boat ownership. The free 40-foot boat new today probably costs about $600,000 nicely equipped. With a 40-year life, that comes to $15,000 per year. Then one has to add slip, consumables, insurance and repairs for another $15,000 if moderately used.
With $30,000 one can rent that boat for 40 days at $750/day and still come ahead by not having to worry about the damned thing.

rolo, 40 years of enjoyment versus 40 days. That's not even a comparison

1st go do psychiatrist

2nd go see the "free" boat

3rd go back to psychiatrist

4th go see the "free" boat

Repeat over and over... until you are either convinced to forget about the boat, the boat rots away or you pass away!

Whatever you do or think - don't for a second believe that taking ownership of that tub a "good" deal - cause it simply is not! :speed boat:

Actually there are probably a lot of useable parts especially the bronze pieces. The stanchions, hawes pipes, cleats, and other miscellaneous bronze fittings would be very worthwhile to salvage. The ships wheel is probably teak, and spoked with an outer 360degree teak rim, (like a destroyer wheel but all teak). And it probably does have Ford Lehman diesels below that one sees marketed for $4,000 - $5000 each.

I have an older Grand Banks, (79 Europa) and those fittings are beautiful and substantial. Sad to see an older quality built boat like the one advertised in such condition. Hopefully before she goes to the junk pile, some Grand Banks owner or part reseller will be able to remove all the “good stuff”.

Alex

If it were close I would take it. All the teak alone is worth salvaging.

If it were close I would take it. All the teak alone is worth salvaging.

Gee bligh. Wish I'd known that and known you, back when; 5 or 6 years ago there was an old GB 42' woodie freely available to me. Old girl had severe rot problems inside and outside. No bottom refastening either. Pair of diesels not started for many years. Bilge stunk of old diesel fuel; leaking tanks? She was afloat though, at a yacht club in San Rafael. I turned he down.

Maybe she could have been brought back enough to make it to Santa Cruz??

I've often considered stashing an old woodie in my backyard rather than seeing them cut up. There seem to be a lit of Stephen's and Chris craft in the delta just hanging on. Im sure there will be another opportunity.
Gee bligh. Wish I'd known that and known you, back when; 5 or 6 years ago there was an old GB 42' woodie freely available to me. Old girl had severe rot problems inside and outside. No bottom refastening either. Pair of diesels not started for many years. Bilge stunk of old diesel fuel; leaking tanks? She was afloat though, at a yacht club in San Rafael. I turned he down.

Maybe she could have been brought back enough to make it to Santa Cruz??

if a lot of the frames are rotten, it wouldnt be too hard to grab the mahog planks. expensive stuff. But if you have to remove old fasteners from good wood, forget it!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/331041464657687/

Not free, but $4k for a GB (36?) woody ain't bad.... It's pretty rough but Hull is sound and engines good according to the ad. It's not the boat work that scares me, its not being able to find insurance, mooring, haul out etc...

Matt - With all due respect: I'm glad you are scared... in this instance.

It would be awful if where you dock etc that your fears came true. That $4K boat could suddenly become a not stoppable money drain. Please be very careful!

Matt - With all due respect: I'm glad you are scared... in this instance.

It would be awful if where you dock etc that your fears came true. That $4K boat could suddenly become a not stoppable money drain. Please be very careful!

Nothing to worry about here Art, I'm old enough to know as cheap as it is, it's no bargain! It is a shame though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom