Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Chainsaw the stern at the aft cabin. I see the forward half as a Tiki bar parked up against the elevated veranda of my home. Thank God it is 800 miles away so that will never happen.
I will take the Stern for my bar then !

No really I am looking for an old teak stern to make into a bar!
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You must be referring to the 'Forward' radar (Open Array) as opposed to the "Aft" radar (Dome) on the fold-down mast. Kind of reminds me of the 70's with the working tv set sitting on the broken console TV set. LMFAO!!!!
This was the setup on my woodie GB42 for the only radar aboard. I placed the display at the lower station which is where you needed to be when piloting in reduced viz because the controls for the fog horn, lights, windshield wipers, etc were located. So nobody was topside when the radar was in use. Since the mast was lowered every time we returned to covered home slip, it was essential that the mast was as light as possible pus who wants to work the multi-part radar cable continually being bent back and forth?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04343.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Snowbird
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Free Grand Banks

Some of those fittings, like the hawse holes, anchor hawsepipes, cleats and any medallions or footpads with the "Grand Banks" name are in demand by GB restorers. There's probably some nice teak and mahogany in there, too. Engines? Mebbe, mebbe not.

Otherwise, it's dump material.
tomdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #24

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Ocean Alexander

A guy recently crashed into a seawall with a about-50-feet OceanAlexander, then pulled back out a bit and it sank. He had no insurance and it took some salvage guys days to get it towed away by hooking it to the side of a barge. Lake St. Clair is very shallow and they lost it a couple times. The salvage bill, responsibility of the owner, was the issue. Have no idea how that worked out. It was a scene, a sight to behold, watching that barge go down the lake with only the cabin of that boat sticking up out of the water. Nope, leave that GB alone!
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #25

City: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Clipper 34
Gosh there are a lot of negative nancies in here!

I got my trawler for free, a clipper 34 and very similar to the GB36. Twin Lehmans etc etc.

Yes it was a lot of work. But after a couple of years we have a completely new hull, rebuilt engines, and everything else more or less sorted.

I learned more in that project than I could ever learn from reading books and watching you tube. The project had its moments, still does. But has brought a helluva lot of satisfaction.

If I had the chance again I'd give it a crack with a 42. And Im far better set up now. Too bad I live on a different continent otherwise I would. These beautiful boats should be preserved and in the right circumstances why not?
mlaloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:50 PM   #26

City: East Lyme, CT
Vessel Name: Sleepy Crab
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Whenever I see an old boat in this condition, I think of how the first owner must have felt the first time he brought her home.
Sleepy Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaloli View Post
Gosh there are a lot of negative nancies in here!

I got my trawler for free, a clipper 34 and very similar to the GB36. Twin Lehmans etc etc.

Yes it was a lot of work. But after a couple of years we have a completely new hull, rebuilt engines, and everything else more or less sorted.

I learned more in that project than I could ever learn from reading books and watching you tube. The project had its moments, still does. But has brought a helluva lot of satisfaction.

If I had the chance again I'd give it a crack with a 42. And Im far better set up now. Too bad I live on a different continent otherwise I would. These beautiful boats should be preserved and in the right circumstances why not?
Maybe in Austrailia...heck look at one of the longest running threads on TF about a rebuilt boat, took something like 8 years...what dedication! I won't give away the ending so I am not a negative Nancy.

But over in the US, for every restored boat, there are hundred if not thousands sitting half done with little or no hope someone will finish them. Cant say the only reason, as I am sure there are many reasons they wont be finished. Everything from impatience to use it, money, energy.............
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Crab View Post
Whenever I see an old boat in this condition, I think of how the first owner must have felt the first time he brought her home.
Wow!!!! So do I!!!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #29
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Crab View Post
I sometimes wonder what happened for the last owner, that let the condition slide. Sometimes things just fall out of favor, or the money runs out, or people pass away. Shame to see a boat go to waste, but every derelict out there started as someone's brand new pride-and-joy.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #30

City: Potomac Maryland
The real cost of boats

The total loss of value reveals the real total cost of boat ownership. The free 40-foot boat new today probably costs about $600,000 nicely equipped. With a 40-year life, that comes to $15,000 per year. Then one has to add slip, consumables, insurance and repairs for another $15,000 if moderately used.
With $30,000 one can rent that boat for 40 days at $750/day and still come ahead by not having to worry about the damned thing.
rolomart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #31

The real cost of boats

The total loss of value reveals the real total cost of boat ownership. The free 40-foot boat new today probably costs about $600,000 nicely equipped. With a 40-year life, that comes to $15,000 per year. Then one has to add slip, consumables, insurance and repairs for another $15,000 if moderately used.
With $30,000 one can rent that boat for 40 days at $750/day and still come ahead by not having to worry about the damned thing.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
rolo, 40 years of enjoyment versus 40 days. That's not even a comparison
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #33
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
1st go do psychiatrist

2nd go see the "free" boat

3rd go back to psychiatrist

4th go see the "free" boat

Repeat over and over... until you are either convinced to forget about the boat, the boat rots away or you pass away!

Whatever you do or think - don't for a second believe that taking ownership of that tub a "good" deal - cause it simply is not!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
rolo, 40 years of enjoyment versus 40 days. That's not even a comparison
Art,
you got it wrong. It is 40 days every year for 40 years, not 40 days once.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Modesto
Vessel Name: Sea Robin
Vessel Model: 79 Grand Banks 42 EU
Free Grand Banks

Actually there are probably a lot of useable parts especially the bronze pieces. The stanchions, hawes pipes, cleats, and other miscellaneous bronze fittings would be very worthwhile to salvage. The ships wheel is probably teak, and spoked with an outer 360degree teak rim, (like a destroyer wheel but all teak). And it probably does have Ford Lehman diesels below that one sees marketed for $4,000 - $5000 each.

I have an older Grand Banks, (79 Europa) and those fittings are beautiful and substantial. Sad to see an older quality built boat like the one advertised in such condition. Hopefully before she goes to the junk pile, some Grand Banks owner or part reseller will be able to remove all the “good stuff”.

Alex
IWAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #36
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
If it were close I would take it. All the teak alone is worth salvaging.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
If it were close I would take it. All the teak alone is worth salvaging.
Gee bligh. Wish I'd known that and known you, back when; 5 or 6 years ago there was an old GB 42' woodie freely available to me. Old girl had severe rot problems inside and outside. No bottom refastening either. Pair of diesels not started for many years. Bilge stunk of old diesel fuel; leaking tanks? She was afloat though, at a yacht club in San Rafael. I turned he down.

Maybe she could have been brought back enough to make it to Santa Cruz??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:54 AM   #38
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I've often considered stashing an old woodie in my backyard rather than seeing them cut up. There seem to be a lit of Stephen's and Chris craft in the delta just hanging on. Im sure there will be another opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Gee bligh. Wish I'd known that and known you, back when; 5 or 6 years ago there was an old GB 42' woodie freely available to me. Old girl had severe rot problems inside and outside. No bottom refastening either. Pair of diesels not started for many years. Bilge stunk of old diesel fuel; leaking tanks? She was afloat though, at a yacht club in San Rafael. I turned he down.

Maybe she could have been brought back enough to make it to Santa Cruz??
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #39

City: Santa Barbara
if a lot of the frames are rotten, it wouldnt be too hard to grab the mahog planks. expensive stuff. But if you have to remove old fasteners from good wood, forget it!
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #40

City: Louisville, ky
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1041464657687/

Not free, but $4k for a GB (36?) woody ain't bad.... It's pretty rough but Hull is sound and engines good according to the ad. It's not the boat work that scares me, its not being able to find insurance, mooring, haul out etc...
Matt Black is offline   Reply With Quote