Found my trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You like side decks. Others have a different opinion. Whatever works. Curious though, when would not having an aft side deck cause a major issue in regards to boat handling if access to the forward and midship area is accessible as explained by others?

OP, congrats on your new boat.

Wifey B: It means a line handler has to walk through and work their way by the helmperson. So, it could be less convenient, but nothing that can't be handled.

It comes down to use and the majority of your cruising.:)

Congrats on a very nice boat. I think you will enjoy it.

Wifey B: It means a line handler has to walk through and work their way by the helmperson. So, it could be less convenient, but nothing that can't be handled.

YTrue, but irrelevant to a single hander like me.

Groton. Sub base or Gales Ferry marina? Great cruising grounds at your doorstep and the Nt32 is an ideal New England boat to do it in! Congratulations.
Thanks. I will be keeping Brigadoon at the Shennecossett Yacht Club.

I asked that question rhetorically. I know a line handler has to do that, but as others have noted I don't see it as a major issue and think the extra cabin space is well worth it. Trade offs.

I asked that question rhetorically. I know a line handler has to do that, but as others have noted I don't see it as a major issue and think the extra cabin space is well worth it. Trade offs.

Wifey B: It's also a negative on locks, but you adjust. We have sport boats that you can't get to the bow at all or you have a rail that's about a foot tall and a deck that's six inches. You learn techniques and keep lines attached to the cleats or learn to just use the mid boat cleat. :)

What to do in docking and tying up.

A. put out your fenders and prepare your lines before you even get close.
B. secure your midship line to the dock (another option later)
C. which ever it pointed toward the break wall, secure the lines at the other end.
D. secure the lines at the other end, adjust your lines and relax.

Other option, depending upon the docking position and current.
Secure line to the break wall end of the boat. Use your rudder to control the direction of other end, moving it closer or further away from the dock as needed, while under power.

If you are stern in, lines in order to secure, after the midship line, 1, 2, 3, 4
Bow in, 4, 3, 2, 1 (I think I have that correct.)

Locks, I suggest medium size round fenders. Round fenders are not that particular and are forgiving. Once you have your fenders out, midship line secured (at a reasonable length), you have the option of adding or subtract bow and stern lines, long enough that you can shorten or lengthen them from a central point if you are single handing. If you are lucky enough to have a line handler, one at the stern line, captain (closer to the helm) at the bow line to adjust the line length. After the water has reached it proper level, take in all lines, move away from the lock wall and exit the lock, pull in fenders if so desired.

Above all PRACTICE.

I am not sure if I have it 100% correct. I have been trying to do this in my feeble mind.

I can take the criticism and correction and suggestions.

Okay, let the fights begin.

Last edited:
I have finally made the transition from sail to power. Just closed on a 2002 Nordic Tug 32. She is located in Florida and Come April I will be moving her to Florida. Looking forward to life at 9 knt’s.

Wifey B: You've got a great boat. I don't know why Mark felt the need to criticize it. I understand had you been considering it and asking but you've already purchased it. Be happy with your selection. :dance::dance::dance:

I lean toward boat handling rather than living space.

For over a decade we cruised a Willard 40 wide body sedan along the Inside Passage and Alaska, often single handing...no side decks and never missed them. It's what you get accustomed to.

Wifey B: You've got a great boat. I don't know why Mark felt the need to criticize it. I understand had you been considering it and asking but you've already purchased it. Be happy with your selection. :dance::dance::dance:
Wifey B. Thanks. The NT 32 decision was the result of 2 years of searching for the boat that worked best for ME. Initially I thought Marks comment was simply a strongly held opinion which he is entitled to. The “boat handling” comeback proved me wrong.

"I am looking forward to finding the right RPM/KPH/GPH for me."

About the square root of the LWL (in feet) will give the speed to start in K.

Adagio,

I am at Shenny as well, C26 near the lift well! Can't wait to see the boat!

Rob

Rob,
I remember the boat. Look forward to seeing you at Shenny this summer. I will be on either C or E dock. It’s still up in the air.
Mike

Mike,
looking forward to seeing you and the boat this spring.

Rob

Adagio, noting the musical screen name,you might not want to know a friend who sang in a Brigadoon production called it "Brink of Doom".:)
Just Aussie humor. I wish you and Brigadoon happy and successful cruising times, she looks a great boat.

Adagio, noting the musical screen name,you might not want to know a friend who sang in a Brigadoon production called it "Brink of Doom".:)
Just Aussie humor. I wish you and Brigadoon happy and successful cruising times, she looks a great boat.

I played Pirates of Penzance years ago, renamed Pilots of Pan Am. Not just Aussie humor!

Rob

Back
Top Bottom