Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Brigadoon
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Good boat. But wished they had railings and wide decks wrapping around the whole boat.
You have to pick between side decks and interior space. You can’t have both in 32’. Dual pilot house doors give me good access to the fore deck and most importantly, the midship cleats. I rejected a very nice Camano 31 because it didn’t have any pilot house doors. As a single hander access to the rails and foredeck was more important.
Adagio43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
Congrats! Nordic was in our top three before we found our AT, love those Nordics and that blue hull is beautiful!
Wait, you're a Florida resident but moving the boat to Groton...?
Yes, Groton, CT. I live aboard in the summer and return to my home in Florida for the winter. I have been very lucky in life.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Mark, I think NBS meant that with pilot doors both sides, walk-around decks are less important, and the positive trade-off is not only increased interior volume, but that volume translates into more buoyancy laterally if the side decks are submerged in foul weather. That is, contributes to a better self-righting moment.
An Aussie translating for a Finnish dude.....I love it!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

hi,

A good interpretation of this meant stability in the matter.

Single hand sailing side doors can be accessed quickly to put doging lines, long side, med style or bow first attachment vs twisting behind side decks, i know both of them do not have a narrow perspective on the case because my old boat had wide decks around the walk but no side doors .

Taste things ...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Mark, I think NBS meant that with pilot doors both sides, walk-around decks are less important, and the positive trade-off is not only increased interior volume, but that volume translates into more buoyancy laterally if the side decks are submerged in foul weather. That is, contributes to a better self-righting moment.
Pilot doors don't substitute for walk-around decks: they compliment each other. ... If one's worried about side decks being submerged, one shouldn't have large windows but instead large scuppers. ... If you want volume, just check out the latest cruise ships carrying 5000 or more souls.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio43 View Post
You have to pick between side decks and interior space. You can’t have both in 32’. Dual pilot house doors give me good access to the fore deck and most importantly, the midship cleats. I rejected a very nice Camano 31 because it didn’t have any pilot house doors. As a single hander access to the rails and foredeck was more important.
I lean toward boat handling rather than living space.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #27

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
There is a narrow "side deck" on the NT 32/34's. It's about a foot wide and you can shuffle forward and aft holding the rails along the salon roof. Side doors make docking easy in slips with finger piers. I just step out of starboard door with mid-ship line in hand, onto finger pier and cleat to pier before setting dock lines at stern and bow... easy-peasy (I dock bow in). Side doors also make it easy going forward for anchor work or mooring pick-up. Cruising between 7 and 10 knots, you can anticipate an average 2 GPH fuel burn (my average burn rate over 13 seasons). A steady 7 knots should come in less than 1.5 GPH. To Peter B's "9 knots is some way above her hull speed" comment, my semi-displacement NT32+, 270 HP 6BTA wide-open throttle at 2600 RPM tops out at 18 knots. Per Cummins, the sweet spot on my 6BTA is 2200 rpm, meaning I could run all day at about 12-14 knots (wind and weather permitting). Granted, at that speed, I'd be burning about 12 GPH, but nice to carry that speed if trying to run away from some weather. I normally cruise around 9 knots.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #28

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Nice!`
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Groton. Sub base or Gales Ferry marina? Great cruising grounds at your doorstep and the Nt32 is an ideal New England boat to do it in! Congratulations.
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I lean toward boat handling rather than living space.
You like side decks. Others have a different opinion. Whatever works. Curious though, when would not having an aft side deck cause a major issue in regards to boat handling if access to the forward and midship area is accessible as explained by others?

OP, congrats on your new boat.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
You like side decks. Others have a different opinion. Whatever works. Curious though, when would not having an aft side deck cause a major issue in regards to boat handling if access to the forward and midship area is accessible as explained by others?

OP, congrats on your new boat.
Wifey B: It means a line handler has to walk through and work their way by the helmperson. So, it could be less convenient, but nothing that can't be handled.

It comes down to use and the majority of your cruising.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Congrats on a very nice boat. I think you will enjoy it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: It means a line handler has to walk through and work their way by the helmperson. So, it could be less convenient, but nothing that can't be handled.

YTrue, but irrelevant to a single hander like me.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinri View Post
Groton. Sub base or Gales Ferry marina? Great cruising grounds at your doorstep and the Nt32 is an ideal New England boat to do it in! Congratulations.
Thanks. I will be keeping Brigadoon at the Shennecossett Yacht Club.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I asked that question rhetorically. I know a line handler has to do that, but as others have noted I don't see it as a major issue and think the extra cabin space is well worth it. Trade offs.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #36

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Congrats Adaggio - NTs are fine boats. Enjoy!

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I asked that question rhetorically. I know a line handler has to do that, but as others have noted I don't see it as a major issue and think the extra cabin space is well worth it. Trade offs.
Wifey B: It's also a negative on locks, but you adjust. We have sport boats that you can't get to the bow at all or you have a rail that's about a foot tall and a deck that's six inches. You learn techniques and keep lines attached to the cleats or learn to just use the mid boat cleat.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
We aim to please on here, don't we John..? All part of the TF service..!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
What to do in docking and tying up.

A. put out your fenders and prepare your lines before you even get close.
B. secure your midship line to the dock (another option later)
C. which ever it pointed toward the break wall, secure the lines at the other end.
D. secure the lines at the other end, adjust your lines and relax.

Other option, depending upon the docking position and current.
Secure line to the break wall end of the boat. Use your rudder to control the direction of other end, moving it closer or further away from the dock as needed, while under power.

If you are stern in, lines in order to secure, after the midship line, 1, 2, 3, 4
Bow in, 4, 3, 2, 1 (I think I have that correct.)

Locks, I suggest medium size round fenders. Round fenders are not that particular and are forgiving. Once you have your fenders out, midship line secured (at a reasonable length), you have the option of adding or subtract bow and stern lines, long enough that you can shorten or lengthen them from a central point if you are single handing. If you are lucky enough to have a line handler, one at the stern line, captain (closer to the helm) at the bow line to adjust the line length. After the water has reached it proper level, take in all lines, move away from the lock wall and exit the lock, pull in fenders if so desired.

Above all PRACTICE.

I am not sure if I have it 100% correct. I have been trying to do this in my feeble mind.

I can take the criticism and correction and suggestions.

Okay, let the fights begin.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio43 View Post
I have finally made the transition from sail to power. Just closed on a 2002 Nordic Tug 32. She is located in Florida and Come April I will be moving her to Florida. Looking forward to life at 9 knt’s.
Wifey B: You've got a great boat. I don't know why Mark felt the need to criticize it. I understand had you been considering it and asking but you've already purchased it. Be happy with your selection.