Found: cheap kk42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What did the surveyor find that turned you off so badly? Give us a ballpark of your new offer, like is it half the asking? Most of us seemed to think somewhere in the 30's might make it worth the effort, of which there will be a lot.

pete

A fixer-upper is poor economics in my view. Especially one needing extensive work. But again, in my view the same effort and expense in a Krogen potentially returns more than in a Mainship or Marine Trader. Not to pick on those brands in particular.

The hull of this vintage KK is cored below the waterline. The condition of the coring and the amount of water in it would be a good thing to check pre-purchase.

Prior threads maybe mentioned plywood decks and bulkheads too. Don't know, but worth checking.

Last edited:
What did the surveyor find that turned you off so badly? Give us a ballpark of your new offer, like is it half the asking? Most of us seemed to think somewhere in the 30's might make it worth the effort, of which there will be a lot.

pete

It's not just what the surveyor said, I went back 2 days later and spent the time I should have initially, but due to my inexperience in boat buying I didn't, and also conveniently the worse areas were very dark and on top of that I forgot my spotlight. From what I see, if someone were to pay $10-15K for this boat, and were very handy and capable, it might work out okay for them. That's not the figure where I'm at so I might be asking for my good faith deposit back, wishing him luck with the sale and walking away.

Just to name a few problems,

Rot in the deck plywood core.
Tabbing separations.
Bulkhead rot.
Rotten support beams noted in areas.
Wet core above the waterline from rain/snow(bad news in northern climates, can cause delamination issues).
House/Pilothouse side core rot and cracks/separation/delamination.

and there's more...

Well, just imagine what could happen to a boat sitting for some years facing water intrusion especially in a northern climate.

And what about the unknown,

Do the engines run?
Hull delamination?
Galvanic corrosion?
Blister?
etc..... and things I yet don't know about boats.

I thought the original fuel tanks being replaced with aluminum was a positive but not after I measured them and calculated them to a total capacity of 450 gallons. The fresh water tanks are small too, at a total of 100 gallons only.

It's a shame because this was once a beautiful boat and if someone doesn't get working on it soon it will find it's way to the scrapyard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage any potential buyers. I'm just putting it how it is.

2020-03-16 21.42.53.jpg
I've been wondering about how this hole got here and if it is of much concern. It's under the sink in the head and about 6"-12" above the waterline from what I was able to estimate. There was fresh water leaking from it at the time.

View attachment 100429
I've been wondering about how this hole got here and if it is of much concern. It's under the sink in the head and about 6"-12" above the waterline from what I was able to estimate. There was fresh water leaking from it at the time.

If I had to guess, maybe a crack with water leaking in from a saturated core.

Read this: warning about this boat

I had three surveys done on this vessel. We suspected water in the hull. We finally got permission from the vendor to take a core sample. Water gushed where we pulled it. That hull is saturated and there's no realistic remedy. If she's kept in warm waters, she might have a useful life for some owner, but that's basically a condemned hull. We were gutted. She's otherwise a lovely boat. One of only five twin screws produced. But this boat's a tragedy.

The below the water line coring is foam so it can get as wet as it likes.
No air conditioning
No double or queen berth
Buy it for whatever, put $125,000. in it and you will have the nicest vintage $95,000. Krogen ever.
She was surveyed for a buyer about 10 days ago.

There are 5 kk42s with twins.
Richard - I have never heard of a KK42 with twins. I see you're a KK42 guy, any sense of how many were done that way? I imaging twins i reduces the market appeal - thoughts? I know it limits appeal to the few Nordhavns that were done in twin-configs.

Just curious- not a buyer or looker. But like many, an admirer of KKs

Peter

Maybe a drain hole to dewater the hull above.
View attachment 100429

It's not just what the surveyor said, I went back 2 days later and spent the time I should have initially, but due to my inexperience in boat buying I didn't, and also conveniently the worse areas were very dark and on top of that I forgot my spotlight. From what I see, if someone were to pay $10-15K for this boat, and were very handy and capable, it might work out okay for them. That's not the figure where I'm at so I might be asking for my good faith deposit back, wishing him luck with the sale and walking away.

Just to name a few problems,

Rot in the deck plywood core.
Tabbing separations.
Bulkhead rot.
Rotten support beams noted in areas.
Wet core above the waterline from rain/snow(bad news in northern climates, can cause delamination issues).
House/Pilothouse side core rot and cracks/separation/delamination.

and there's more...

Well, just imagine what could happen to a boat sitting for some years facing water intrusion especially in a northern climate.

And what about the unknown,

Do the engines run?
Hull delamination?
Galvanic corrosion?
Blister?
etc..... and things I yet don't know about boats.

I thought the original fuel tanks being replaced with aluminum was a positive but not after I measured them and calculated them to a total capacity of 450 gallons. The fresh water tanks are small too, at a total of 100 gallons only.

It's a shame because this was once a beautiful boat and if someone doesn't get working on it soon it will find it's way to the scrapyard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage any potential buyers. I'm just putting it how it is.
If you could do all the work yourself, it would be a good project boat.
Pulled out of the water the hull will drain and dry. Then you reseal.

Much of the work though would be in replacing the decks and other boat systems.

Good luck

It's embarrassing to say, but if I didn't hire a good, honest surveyor, I would have laid out 55K for it and would have been very sad. :(

It's embarrassing to say, but if I didn't hire a good, honest surveyor, I would have laid out 55K for it and would have been very sad. :(

Every now and then it pays off to have a survey...

If you could do all the work yourself, it would be a good project boat.
Pulled out of the water the hull will drain and dry. Then you reseal.

Much of the work though would be in replacing the decks and other boat systems.

Good luck

Doing all the work myself was what I had in mind but after discovering all the extra repairs needed, the right price for me became substantially less than the seller was willing to accept. And besides, I'd be a bit concerned about the hull, rotted balsa core above the waterline and delamination caused by freezing and thawing.

If still interested, find a marine surveyor that uses a Flir Infrared camera. That will show any, all delamination, saturated bulkheads & decks, soft spots, rot, the condition of the coring and more. I use a Flir 40 Bx to inspect all my boats. It's amazing what I have found. My motto is "finding faults before failures" and it has saved a lot of trouble.

If still interested, find a marine surveyor that uses a Flir Infrared camera. That will show any, all delamination, saturated bulkheads & decks, soft spots, rot, the condition of the coring and more. I use a Flir 40 Bx to inspect all my boats. It's amazing what I have found. My motto is "finding faults before failures" and it has saved a lot of trouble.

Thank you for the info! I'll for sure keep it in mind.

Flir is mentioned in many threads here. You seem to have more confidence in it than many other people who post about it. Have the technology and technique "grown up" to match their potential for finding hull warts?

I use the Flir 40 BX ( comparable to a 3 megapixel camera, wish I had thousands more for higher resolution) to find "faults before failure". It's not so much the technology as it is the knowledge and experience of the user. I have hundreds of hours using my equipment and have looked at lots of boats in marinas, in the water, in shipyards, on trailers and so. I have been to multiple boat building plants. This requires effort, to know how the vessel is constructed, then one can see what "doesn't look right". Then study the pictures.
As far as engines go, I look at those also. With a gas engine with 10+ degrees in temp difference, it's an indication of a compression issue. I can tell I have a weaker cylinder, I can't tell how low the compression is. You have to take in distance as a factor also.
Like anything else it takes effort to figure it out, not done with the $25 pistol laser type.

Curious as to what level of fixing one would go through in order to own a unique boat such as this. Does that factor into the decision? like buying an old classic car that sucks, but youve always wanted one and there it is needing work. If KK42's are your thing does that also factor in......lastly I understand the surveys, but for a boat this age would it be anything other than realistic to expect many of the issues mentioned in previous posts. I dont think any survey would generally come out favorable.

I looked at this boat as well and found significant neglect. I messaged the owner with an $8k-$10k counter...He told me to go pound sand in so many words.

The subject boat has been moved out of this marina. The owner was asked to move. It had to be towed to its new location. The marina was afraid that the boat would sink in its berth and create a nightmare environmental hazard.

"All boats are sinking, some quickly, some slowly"

pete

Do you know if it sold? Last I spoke to the seller, on March 20, he got another offer for 55K and they were closing the following week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom