Found a boat to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Jackson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
JOURNEY
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
I have been looking for a boat for sometime now, an found one of the ones I'm interested in. My concern right now is to look at the boat, I have to travel about 2,000 miles (would drive as I don't feel safe flying right now), very unsure what we as a country are looking at with Covid-19, and with a new government getting in soon, what the economy will do in the next couplle of years. Money isn't the problem, Covid and the economy are a big concern. What are other peoples thoughts at this unstable time in our lives.

Wow! That's commitment! A 4000 mile round trip by car is like the cannon ball run! Personally I fear flying a lot less than the road trip and all the potential points of possible covid contact. The airlines have gotten the cabin sanitation and ventilation down to a science. I am flying on the 10th for business. Not giving it a second thought. That is indeed a personal decision. Seems like in the middle of all this crap boat prices and availability for the good stuff is nutty. Good for sellers. It is definitely a bubble. I am in a similar place. The boat I am dealing with is in my town, but it's the whole price issue. Buying at an inflated cost with the Covid Tax will leave us upside down when this all shakes out.

This is my personal opinion and worth nothing more than that.

I too have been looking for a long time.
I am on a restricted budget unlike you.
I have every reason to be concerned about catching the Corona virus.
My future is far from clear.

If I had the means I would be at the indoor heated storage facility working on my boat right now. I would drive to look at a boat in a socially distant fashion wearing my N95 or N100 mask and take all appropriate covid precautions. I would buy the boat of my dreams and meticulously prepare to indulge myself in the dream of a lifetime.

Tomorrow is always uncertain. You have today and today only. The virus and the country and the politicians have nothing to do with living your dreams and loving your life in my opinion. I would do nearly anything to make my dream happen.

What are you waiting for? A spaceship? A missile? A sign? An opinion?

Don't take this negatively or as a swipe against you. I wish I was in your situation for purchase. You are in the cat bird seat. Good luck.

Boats are very pricy right now, but the boat I have found looks a bit inflated, but not what I see on YCHTWORLD prices, I may just wait and see if when fuel pricces go up, boat prices come down.

Fuel prices go up? You might have a wait on your hands. If they go up enough you will see US and Canadian production resume again. They are finding new oil deposits all the time. Supply is not going to be the problem unless the middle east blows up, and even then it might not be a problem. Plug in and Hydrogen are coming sooner than you think. Oil producers want to sell oil now as their future is VERY uncertain.

We have made a couple of road trips to look at boats last fall. We only stopped at rest areas to use the restroom. My wife made a kit for herself to clean the toilet before she used it. We did drive through for food. At the hotel we cleaned the whole room and used our own sheets and pillows. Maybe extreme but we didn’t catch the virus so it was worth it. There is absolutely no way I would get on an airplane now. We have several hundred thousand air miles that we could use but not now. My wife just read a story about a guy getting sick with the virus so he lied and flew home, infecting many of the people on the plane. Just not worth the chance. We told the broker that we needed him to wear a mask and social distance when we viewed the boats. So you can do the trip, it is just a bit more work. Good luck in your search.

I live in South Dakota, the least restricted state in the U.S. so I'm not a good example, but we did fly three weeks ago for Thanksgiving for the first time since 2019. I think planes are disgusting disease carriers even in normal times, but I have to say the planes (happened to be United and American) were spanky clean and smelled like a hospital. They spaced out the passengers, handed out alcohol wipes multiple times, and even O'Hare was mostly empty on what would normally be the Thanksgiving rush. We had dinner in the terminal and had almost no close contact with humans, including the wait staff (we ordered by QR codes and phone menus). It was eerie. Like the other poster, I'd be more concerned about truck stops and roadside bathrooms and multiple food places and hotels on such a long trip.

(And then on boating in general, we're determined to charter something, somewhere this summer, we'll just have to be very flexible and go wherever might be open or possible. We'll paddle on 55-gallon drums in the swamps of Louisiana if I have to. We love our home marina but we need to get out.)

Last edited:
I have been looking for a boat for sometime now, an found one of the ones I'm interested in. My concern right now is to look at the boat, I have to travel about 2,000 miles (would drive as I don't feel safe flying right now), very unsure what we as a country are looking at with Covid-19, and with a new government getting in soon, what the economy will do in the next couplle of years. Money isn't the problem, Covid and the economy are a big concern. What are other peoples thoughts at this unstable time in our lives.

None of us have a lifetime guarantee, if you like the boat, buy it and make memories while you have the chance.
Money comes and goes.
The economy goes up and down
We get older every day

I would rather fly than do 4000 miles in a car, overall less touch points, less interaction less exposure time. Airports and planes are much cleaner than truck stops and hotels...

I fly all the time, its kind of nice right now as there are little to no lines, and most of the people flying right now know the drill.

Reactions: GT6
Hi Steve. Back in March and April, forums like this had a ton of chatter that prices would drop like a rock as they did after 2008. When the exact opposite happened, the chatter morphed to "just wait until all those newbies get a taste of ownership - they'll be selling at a big loss!"

The only time you really need a boat is when the one you're on is sinking and the one next to it isn't. If you're looking for a financially rational time to buy a boat, well, you'd have to wait a long time. I can honestly say I don't remember what I paid for my boat 22 years ago.

If you have the time, a 2000 mile drive isn't bad. We are both seasoned travelers and decided we didn't want to fly due to covid too. So my wife and I did a round trip from Florida to Ensenada (near San Diego) a couple months ago to check on the refit of our boat. Almost 2500 miles each way. Like Comodave, we were pretty self-sufficient along the way and avoided contact. That said, California was difficult to find open restrooms as many places simply closed them to the public rather than comply with state guidelines. But that's a different topic.

If you're going to look at one boat, make sure you've had some decent conversations on it. I chatted with a guy last week who had placed a sight-unseen offer on sailboat. When he flew-out for sea-trial/survey, he was told the owner (or broker) restricted the sea trial to 45 mins and refused to put the sails as he'd taken them off for the winter. Another example: There's an active thread on TF right now about an owner who had his boat wrapped for the winter and got an offer. Owner doesn't want to bear cost to re-wrap if buyer doesn't go through, so wants buyer to pay to re-wrap boat if he declines to purchase. Sellers market to be sure.

Good luck

Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: GT6
The boat is in Florida, right now I'm in AZ, so although a long drive, not impossible. The boat is in the water, so no problem about launching or unwraapping for sea trails. I have read the posts on selling during the winter. Boats out of the water and wrapped are another problem for both parties. I will make my decision, go or pass on this boat, by this evening. Thanks for your insites.

Steve - lot of TF members in Florida. If it would help, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a member nearby who could take a quick peek at the boat for you. Maybe put out a general casting call. I've been semi isolated for months. Wouldn't take much to get me to go on a blind date with some boat flesh.

The only time you really need a boat is when the one you're on is sinking, and the one next to it isn't.

This is probably the most profound comments I have seen in a long, long time.

Not sure where the boat might in FL but my father lives in Stuart. Former boat broker (but don't hold that against him), but he's retired now. Knows boats very well if you want a remote pair of eyes to give you an opinion, if the boat is in that area. Nothing beats looking at it yourself though.

1) Hire a good surveyor for an hour or 2 for a quick walk thru & phoned report before making the trip.
2) if u make the trip, mask up inside or close proximity anywhere, wash hands a lot, do not eat inside bars/restaurants, take your own pillow wherever u sleep (hard surfaces are only low risk for transmission by comparison).

Good luck!

People who wait for prices to go down never buy a boat. Prices only go down during extreme economic down turns when everyone is to scared to spend money. The few people who buy at the bottom of the market usually were not looking to buy a boat but find they can’t pass up that bigger boat that is now cheaper than the boat they currently own. Those who waited for prices to fall are now to scared to make the commitment and decide to wait until the economy is better of course that’s when prices go up.

People who wait for prices to go down never buy a boat. Prices only go down during extreme economic down turns when everyone is to scared to spend money. The few people who buy at the bottom of the market usually were not looking to buy a boat but find they can’t pass up that bigger boat that is now cheaper than the boat they currently own. Those who waited for prices to fall are now to scared to make the commitment and decide to wait until the economy is better of course that’s when prices go up.
Well put. However it sounds like the OP has made begrudgingly amends with the state of the market. He's ready to hold his nose and proceed. In a few years time, if he's like me, he'll have many memories to displace the odious sellers market. Heck, I don't even remember what I paid for my boat.

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow hasn't happened. Gotta focus on today. If you can afford a bit of premium, and lord knows boats are rife with premiums even in the best of markets, might as well bite the bullet and make an offer.

Peter

The boat is in Florida, right now I'm in AZ, so although a long drive, not impossible. The boat is in the water, so no problem about launching or unwraapping for sea trails. I have read the posts on selling during the winter. Boats out of the water and wrapped are another problem for both parties. I will make my decision, go or pass on this boat, by this evening. Thanks for your insites.

We've been boatless and shopping for 6 months now...

Given I know our next "target" boat reasonably well, I'd be happy to have broker (my buyer's broker), surveyor, and engine guy do the inspections and sea trail and so forth... on that model... with us absent. And in fact, that's our general intention if given the opportunity.

Can't say that for boat layouts I haven't seen in person, though...

Found a slightly larger boat (and more expensive) with good layout ON PAPER, might be a candidate. In this case, there are semi-local versions I could maybe tour first before deciding whether to pursue any of those in inventory. But that could also maybe turn into a "I don't need to go there" sea trial...

-Chris

Last edited:
Fuel prices go up? You might have a wait on your hands. If they go up enough you will see US and Canadian production resume again. They are finding new oil deposits all the time. Supply is not going to be the problem unless the middle east blows up, and even then it might not be a problem. Plug in and Hydrogen are coming sooner than you think. Oil producers want to sell oil now as their future is VERY uncertain.

Sorry Mopaharn but I think there is more to fuel price economics than what you mentioned. I agree with you if no government intervention occurs but that may happen next year. It's not the supply/demand that's the concern about fuel prices going up. There is a strong commitment by the incoming administration to put a very large carbon tax in place that will artificially raise the price of fuel. If this happens the oil producers will not see prices go up due to higher demand and they will not be making more profit. Therefore there will not be an incentive to increase production and thereby reduce fuel prices. Instead, demand will drop and fuel prices will remain high. Not a political statement, just basic economic analysis. The hydrogen /electric powered boats may be a future option but they don't help all of us that currently own boats or are looking to buy, but perhaps those who purchase new boats 10-20 years in the future.

I have expressed my sentiment numerous times on this situation but I feel so strongly about it I will repeat it again. I'll use CAPS this time. (CAPS are generally considered to be rude and the equivalent of SHOUTING)

BUY YOUR BOAT CLOSE TO HOME !!

Viewing, surveying, launching, outfitting and supplying the new boat will require a minimum of four round trips to the boat. Getting it home will be a daunting task. DONT DO IT!!

SHOP AND BUY CLOSE TO HOME!! (About a four hour drive should be MAXIMUM)

pete

Pete- Thanks for the advice, but we live in AZ and want to do the Great Loop, so buying close to home is impossible. What I was thinking, is make the trip, spend a 1.5 weeks, or so there, doing sea trials, survey, oil samples, etc. and if all is well do the deal. Aleady found out I can leave the boat in the same slip until I go back. I will then come home for a couple of months, until early spring, load up my truck with all my gear (I probably have six large totes and coolers of stuff) and and drive back down to work on the boat and get it ready to cruise.

Not sure what cruising will be like in 2021, I need to have a plan if I can't do the Loop as I want. So then I want to cruise ending in at least the Cheaspeake Bay, where I have looked into wintering the boat, out of the water. Life being what it is, make me have to have reasonable other plans.

But Biden and Dems could be a problem if they decide to further tax the evil fossil fuels to make them less desirable.

If you really want to purchase that boat, hire a highly recommended marine surveyor. Like you, I'm not ready for public transport yet.

Don't wait for the 'perfect' economy / government / you name it to come around before buying; it may never happen. Life's too short!!! Jump in, buy the boat you want, and enjoy it. By the way, gas prices should only go down as more EVs hit the road. Until the point that there is such a glut of gasoline that production slows or stops. And when that happens, all petroleum product prices will rise to offset the cost of throwing away all the gasoline that comes from refining oil. It's not like they can choose to turn all the crude into diesel, it doesn't work that way.

I just completed a 3700mi + drive. There were 4 legs each at around 860. Did one leg a day with only stops for gas and bathroom. Had a 6 day break between leg 3-4. Brought my own food and drink. If you have the time make the dive as you can see some great country that you many never get to again.

Found it

I wouldn't offer advice on covid to anyone, because it is only my opinion & I don't know your risk factors. I had it back in February. It was during a delivery from Bahamas to FLA. I was pretty sick, along with my shipmates (I got it first). But we had no choice but to keep going. I do agree that there has been a lot learned since about causation, prevention, mitigation of affects. I had been looking for a while before that for my own boat to buy. I put it on the back burner since due to the covid issues, and my hesitancy to travel. I decided one day to look on line again, and found the boat I was looking for, in my price range, 65 miles from home. I closed on my GB36 Nov 11. So you never know what may turn up. Have faith and keep living.

Why do you have to make this political?

Not making it political. Not saying whether or not I support any political agenda, but the truth is that fuel prices can and will be affected by whoever is running the govt. With Biden replacing Trump and the possibility of a Democratic senate, the push for the Green New Deal or at least parts of that could become a reality. That likely means, more subsidies for alternative fuel technologies, higher taxes on fossil fuels, less exploration and drilling/fracking in the U.S., stricter standards on emissions, etc. Not trying to get into a political discussion, but if someone is concerned about the future of fuel prices, how can you ignore this? I can picture a not too distant future where gas or diesel boating could be very restricted or banned on some bodies of water (some already are). Should we really not discuss it because it involves politics?

I think air travel would be as safe or safer than a 4000 mi road trip. But also, you should consider that you will probably want to make more than 1 trip. I recently purchased a boat that was about a 4 hour drive away. I made the initial trip, but then additional trips for survey, sea trial, provisioning, etc. probably about 6 in total. You could do it in less, but I would require a minimum of 2 personally.

Found a boat .....

Steve, I would agree with several of those who encouraged you to fly. I hadn't flown anywhere until October, when my brother's death forced me to go out to California from the NY area. If you are able to fly on Delta from where you are, they seem to have the most consistent practices about spacing passengers out, and never filling a middle seat. You might also check out first class, there are a lot of real airfare bargains right now - as opposed to boats!- and Delta only permits one passenger per row in first class. ( Of course you can sit with a family member if you are traveling together. ) I don't work for them, by the way, but before I retired I flew several million miles for work on almost every airline there is, and while I was dreading the flights in October, they turned out much better than I expected.
I also found that the hotel I stayed at made the experience very comfortable, they were clearly committed to keeping everyone safe, and they did.
Flying would also help you avoid making a decision because you are tired and want to be done. When we were looking a few years ago, we wound up driving back and forth several times between NY and the Chesapeake area, as far as Virginia even, so nothing compared to your trip, and there was a boat we almost bought because we were simply getting tired of all the traveling. Thank goodness we didn't do it, though.
I didn't see anywhere where you said what boat you were looking at, but is there really nothing similar closer to you, in SoCal, for instance?
Good luck, whatever you decide!

Not making it political. Not saying whether or not I support any political agenda, but the truth is that fuel prices can and will be affected by whoever is running the govt. With Biden replacing Trump and the possibility of a Democratic senate, the push for the Green New Deal or at least parts of that could become a reality. That likely means, more subsidies for alternative fuel technologies, higher taxes on fossil fuels, less exploration and drilling/fracking in the U.S., stricter standards on emissions, etc. Not trying to get into a political discussion, but if someone is concerned about the future of fuel prices, how can you ignore this? I can picture a not too distant future where gas or diesel boating could be very restricted or banned on some bodies of water (some already are). Should we really not discuss it because it involves politics?

Yes, it is better not to even bring politics into TF. No matter what you say it will offend someone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom