Found a boat to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is better not to even bring politics into TF. No matter what you say it will offend someone.

I get that, and I apologize if I offended anyone. It's hard to avoid political issues that are directly linked to the topic of discussion, but thanks for the feedback, I will heed it.

I have been looking for a boat for sometime now, and found one of the ones I'm interested in. My concern right now is to look at the boat, I have to travel about 2,000 miles (would drive as I don't feel safe flying right now), very unsure what we as a country are looking at with Covid-19, and with a new government getting in soon, what the economy will do in the next couple of years. Money isn't the problem, Covid and the economy are a big concern. What are other peoples thoughts at this unstable time in our lives.

One more piece of advice if I could. EVERY used boat looks great online. Before you commit to a trip like that, maybe you could have a surveyor do a quick look and send you some "real" pics and feedback. Or hire a local broker who could do the initial look for you. I was looking for a boat for a couple years and found a couple that were fairly local. Upon looking at them, I would never have purchased them. My point is to be wary of online ads and photos. Every one says it's the best possible boat you could buy and in perfect condition. Unless you have better info and a good sense that this boat is really THE ONE that you must buy, I'd advise against a cross country road trip.

Last edited:
distant boats always seem better at a distance.
If you are really serious hire a surveyor for a quick look. You will get an independent opinion and ask for lots of PIX of the good and bad.

I just flew Seattle - Salt Lake City. I felt it was safer than going to the grocery store.

I am experienced at evaluating boats from pictures. It can’t be done. What can be done is determining if a boat is worth an exploration trip.

Pictures can’t tell you if something is soft, lighting can cover up stains and scratches. Assume the boat is 25% rougher than what it looks like in the picture. A surveyor can give you a reading on function but not on cosmetics. For all you know he lives on a work boat and thinks Formica is first class or maybe he lives on a new Fleming and thinks Formica is trailer trash.

I bought my current boat out of Southern California. I took three trips. One to see the boat and make an offer. Second, to do the survey and make a transit home plan. Third to retrieve the boat and execute the transit.

I've flown regularly for work since last July. The airport experience is fine, lots less people than there used to be. Also, the airlines are pretty strict about the mask thing. You don't wear a mask you don't get on. If you decide once you're on to take the mask off, they'll be on you about it. If you continue to make trouble you will be banned from flying. The flight may even divert to throw you off. Finally, not following the instructions of a flight crew member is a federal offense, even if it is telling you to wear a mask.

Where is the boat?

Where is the boat? I have a ton of contacts in Florida that could help you out with a look-see.

My choice would be fly and rent a car.

Steve - lot of TF members in Florida. If it would help, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a member nearby who could take a quick peek at the boat for you. Maybe put out a general casting call. I've been semi isolated for months. Wouldn't take much to get me to go on a blind date with some boat flesh.

Good suggestion. Might not this be a time to hook into the new Trawler Port Captain initiative. For more info take a look at that subject listed in the right column under the latest post list.

My wife and I have used commercial flights four times since August without any problems, I felt completely safe and took no precautions other than mask wearing, and hand sanitizing. Also took a 6,000 mile trip from Florida, through Oregon, California, Colorado, Utah, (not in that order), camping 2/3 of the time in a motor home, 1/3 in motels. Again took no extra precautions, and had no problems. With reasonable mask use and hand washing I think you can go however seems the most convenient. We had no issues with restaurants around the country either as they are all doing everything possible to make people safe and comfortable.

The flight is not that long. I would spend the money to get some good N95 masks. Watch some YouTube video's about making sure you have a good fit, and they are working properly. Then just put the mask on before you enter the airport, and don't take it off till you are in your rental car. You should be pretty safe with a high quality N95 mask, used properly. Way better than driving that far. I will be employing this plan myself next Wednesday when I Fly from Seattle to Hawaii to work on my boat I bought in Fiji a couple months ago. Having a new boat you just purchased, trapped a long ways away sucks, but in your case is sounds like that will always be the situation so go for it.

I haven't read all the threads so my bad. But if you have time you might consider the train.

A couple of people have asked about the location of the boat in Florida and I have not seen a response. If you're wanting to keep the info a "secret" to avoid someone else scooping it out from under you, that's totally understandable. However, I'm near St Pete and Sarasota on the west coast of Florida and will be happy to take a look at it for you, if you're interested.

I will not have fuel concerns in the short term 2-6 years. There are still loaded oil tankers looking for a place to unload. There is oil everywhere. I just purchased a new 1/2 ton pickup truck. It gets over thirty miles to the gallon on the highway (GMC Sierra 3.0 Diesel). Prior rulings on CAFE have driven mileage up and fuel needs down. Electrification is seriously on the move. Americans age 16-30 are owning fewer cars- quite a bit fewer. If Covid moves people out of the dense city populations and away from mass transit, you might see a change in this. If Government decides to tax fuel by 30% (ridiculous, but worst case) fuel could go from $2.50 to $3.25. Fuel was over $4.0 not that long ago around here and it had no effect on boating in my area (northern seasonal). The long term prospects for higher fuel pricing is so bad that MANY people in the industry are getting out. You can look at this two ways. First, the people in the know who have made hundreds of millions see an end. Second, with people getting out you will see a decrease in supply and higher prices-to which I say don't you think the people getting out considered this?

We spent about a year and a half looking for a boat. We wound up doing a lot of fruitless driving and flying looking at boats which turned out to be duds, yet sounded like the proverbial “cream puff” on the website or paper ad.

Eventually, for the distant boats we would hire a local “tire-kicker” to just give the boat a quick once- over. Fee was often in the $50-$100 range. Believe me, it will save you much frustration not to mention time, energy and $ to have an impartial party take a look-see.

You wouldn’t believe how bad some of the boats were that we went to look at, especially in FL. Mold is often an issue there, and many boats smelled like mushroom farms due to leaky decks and trapped moisture.

We spent about a year and a half looking for a boat. We wound up doing a lot of fruitless driving and flying looking at boats which turned out to be duds, yet sounded like the proverbial “cream puff” on the website or paper ad.

Eventually, for the distant boats we would hire a local “tire-kicker” to just give the boat a quick once- over. Fee was often in the $50-$100 range. Believe me, it will save you much frustration not to mention time, energy and $ to have an impartial party take a look-see.

You wouldn’t believe how bad some of the boats were that we went to look at, especially in FL. Mold is often an issue there, and many boats smelled like mushroom farms due to leaky decks and trapped moisture.

I had very similar experience when shopping. Couldn't believe boats were being shown in such poor condition. Most don't even try, yet the online ads looked great just the same! When we finally found our boat we thought we were very fortunate, and we probably were, but it still held a few surprises, some costlier than others.

One of the tells for me that a boat is in poor condition is the photos showing the boat full of junk and crap. If they don’t even care enough to clean the boat up for the sale they probably didn’t care much about maintaining it during their ownership. I look at the photos and if there is crap on every flat surface and stuff all over the refer, I just pass on the boat and go to the next one. When I sell a boat the first thing I do is take all of my personal stuff off the boat and then clean the boat up. Then I take photos of every place on the boat and from every angle that I can. I make sure that the photos are well lit and are in focus. It makes a better impression on the potential buyer. The last 2 boats that I sold, I sold them myself and the first person that looked at the boats bought them.

One of the tells for me that a boat is in poor condition is the photos showing the boat full of junk and crap. If they don’t even care enough to clean the boat up for the sale they probably didn’t care much about maintaining it during their ownership. I look at the photos and if there is crap on every flat surface and stuff all over the refer, I just pass on the boat and go to the next one. When I sell a boat the first thing I do is take all of my personal stuff off the boat and then clean the boat up. Then I take photos of every place on the boat and from every angle that I can. I make sure that the photos are well lit and are in focus. It makes a better impression on the potential buyer. The last 2 boats that I sold, I sold them myself and the first person that looked at the boats bought them.

Sounds like we are very similar. All the personal junk in the photos is a pet peeve of mine. If they can't take a few minutes to pick up before taking pics, it's a good sign about how much they care. I've also had good luck selling my own boats. One sold for the asking price, the next sold to a broker, but at a higher than asking price so I still got what I was asking after the broker's fee!

Pete- Thanks for the advice, but we live in AZ and want to do the Great Loop, so buying close to home is impossible. What I was thinking, is make the trip, spend a 1.5 weeks, or so there, doing sea trials, survey, oil samples, etc. and if all is well do the deal. Aleady found out I can leave the boat in the same slip until I go back. I will then come home for a couple of months, until early spring, load up my truck with all my gear (I probably have six large totes and coolers of stuff) and and drive back down to work on the boat and get it ready to cruise.

Not sure what cruising will be like in 2021, I need to have a plan if I can't do the Loop as I want. So then I want to cruise ending in at least the Cheaspeake Bay, where I have looked into wintering the boat, out of the water. Life being what it is, make me have to have reasonable other plans.

Steve, Plenty of folks are planning to do the loop in 2021. If you haven’t already, you may want to consider joining the AGLCA and participating there also. You will find a ton of information there about all manner of things related to the loop. I think this site and the AGLCA are the two best out there. Most of the folks there buy in the 35 to 45 foot range, more trawlers than cruisers, with a heavier emphasis on boats from the 1980’s to the 1990’s. However, folks have done the loop on about every manner of boat. Good luck with the boat you are looking at!

Found a boat

Call me crazy(I can take it). I bought a Mainship 34 2006 trawler sight unseen sort of. I have been looking for a twin screw lower station for three years in my price range. I missed one (cold feet) did not want to do it again. The boat is in NS now in winter storage. Could not go see the boat due to COVID. I had two separate surveys and a zoom sea trial with the broker and the owner. We went over all the condition issues and I based my decision on the information I recieved. The broker was recommended by someone on Long Island so I felt comfortable. I have the owners contact information and have been in contact with him as well. I have looked at several Mainship 34’s and did some research on condition issues and problems. This boat is not cored below the water line which makes me a bit more comfortable. The Yanmars are pretty reliable as long as they are maintained and I had contact with the yard where the boat has been stored since 2007. I will have the boat detailed inside and out so when my wife and I go to get the boat we can just deal with any other issues. Wish me luck

Call me crazy(I can take it). I bought a Mainship 34 2006 trawler sight unseen sort of. I have been looking for a twin screw lower station for three years in my price range. I missed one (cold feet) did not want to do it again. The boat is in NS now in winter storage. Could not go see the boat due to COVID. I had two separate surveys and a zoom sea trial with the broker and the owner. We went over all the condition issues and I based my decision on the information I recieved. The broker was recommended by someone on Long Island so I felt comfortable. I have the owners contact information and have been in contact with him as well. I have looked at several Mainship 34’s and did some research on condition issues and problems. This boat is not cored below the water line which makes me a bit more comfortable. The Yanmars are pretty reliable as long as they are maintained and I had contact with the yard where the boat has been stored since 2007. I will have the boat detailed inside and out so when my wife and I go to get the boat we can just deal with any other issues. Wish me luck

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you took reasonable care with the purchase. How will you get it home? Best of luck!

We just flew from KY to WA to survey a boat. We didn't really want to travel with the current Covid19 stuff, but we took all the precautions we could. Airline personal were great, except that airlines said no beverage/meal service due to "safety concerns", . . . but beverages were served in Business and First Class. . . apparently Business and First Class are exempt from safety concerns . . . :nonono: Visited boat today and yesterday. Survey on Friday. No eating out, take out only, masked at all times. No contact . . it's not guaranteed to keep us safe, but not difficult to take basic precautions.

Most of the data/science shows within 6 feet for >15 minutes is the sharp end of the curve for when you get COVID. Most planes are well under that and air is refreshed every ~3 minutes.

Driving isn't without COVID risk either, you have to sleep somewhere, eat somewhere, go to the bathroom, wash yourself, and maybe do laundry at some point.

So compare the two probabilities of getting COVID on your Ouija board, multiply times the chance of dying or having a lifelong condition, and then add the probability of dying/being maimed in a car accident over the course of 4000 interstate miles in the winter, even on a southerly route. Flying is cheaper than driving at this point.

If you're worried about the risk maybe just stay home and get the vaccine and fly later.

I think the economy will be the economy, the biggest crisis is interest rate based. Houses are purchased based on monthly payments (ie people will buy what they can afford), as such a house in Seattle that was $500k is now $750k or more. most of that can be attributed to interest rates. They can't go too much lower, but if they go up, plenty will be underwater quick even with a 20% downpayment.

Boat prices I would expect to have their inflection at typical storage/splash times. I don't think when boats come out of storage this year COVID will be under control, so boats will be popular this summer again. Maybe the fall haul out will scare some folks off? Maybe the March 2021 splash and finding moorage will end it. Keep in mind there is still no clear path to an approved vaccine for those under 16, that may be late 2021 or even 2022 before we see that. Are the Jones' going to go on the international vacation with only the parents inoculated? They may hang on for a while. How much is every missed season worth to you?

The greatest economic pressure may be inflation, which would counteract the Jones' selloff of their naval fleet.

Finally, if you haven't realized. Boating is horrible financial decision. So don't do what you can't afford. But if you want to do it, and find the right boat at the right price, don't wait.

Roger, welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Hope it works out well for you. We did travel by truck to look at a couple boats. We only stopped at rest areas to go to the bathroom. I never sat down and my wife had a bag of cleaning gear to clean the toilet before sitting. We did stay in hotels but we took our sheets and pillows. My wife took cleaning supplies and cleaned the room before we settled in. We did drive thru food. It may seem extreme but we have my mom living with us and she turned 100 last year and we both are 68. It worked out well since we didn’t get the virus. Unfortunately my wife didn’t like the boats...

Most of the data/science shows within 6 feet for >15 minutes is the sharp end of the curve for when you get COVID. Most planes are well under that and air is refreshed every ~3 minutes.

Driving isn't without COVID risk either, you have to sleep somewhere, eat somewhere, go to the bathroom, wash yourself, and maybe do laundry at some point.

So compare the two probabilities of getting COVID on your Ouija board, multiply times the chance of dying or having a lifelong condition, and then add the probability of dying/being maimed in a car accident over the course of 4000 interstate miles in the winter, even on a southerly route. Flying is cheaper than driving at this point.

If you're worried about the risk maybe just stay home and get the vaccine and fly later.

I think the economy will be the economy, the biggest crisis is interest rate based. Houses are purchased based on monthly payments (ie people will buy what they can afford), as such a house in Seattle that was $500k is now $750k or more. most of that can be attributed to interest rates. They can't go too much lower, but if they go up, plenty will be underwater quick even with a 20% downpayment.

Boat prices I would expect to have their inflection at typical storage/splash times. I don't think when boats come out of storage this year COVID will be under control, so boats will be popular this summer again. Maybe the fall haul out will scare some folks off? Maybe the March 2021 splash and finding moorage will end it. Keep in mind there is still no clear path to an approved vaccine for those under 16, that may be late 2021 or even 2022 before we see that. Are the Jones' going to go on the international vacation with only the parents inoculated? They may hang on for a while. How much is every missed season worth to you?

The greatest economic pressure may be inflation, which would counteract the Jones' selloff of their naval fleet.

Finally, if you haven't realized. Boating is horrible financial decision. So don't do what you can't afford. But if you want to do it, and find the right boat at the right price, don't wait.

We have several hundred thousand airline points now but we will not fly. My wife read a story about a guy that thought he was getting sick so he lied his way onto a plane and then infected a lot of the people on the plane. Disgusting but some people only think about themselves and will willingly put others at risk.

Roger, welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Hope it works out well for you. We did travel by truck to look at a couple boats. We only stopped at rest areas to go to the bathroom. I never sat down and my wife had a bag of cleaning gear to clean the toilet before sitting. We did stay in hotels but we took our sheets and pillows. My wife took cleaning supplies and cleaned the room before we settled in. We did drive thru food. It may seem extreme but we have my mom living with us and she turned 100 last year and we both are 68. It worked out well since we didn’t get the virus. Unfortunately my wife didn’t like the boats...

It's not the surfaces that concern me, it's proximity to others. The chances of getting COVID-19 from a surface is orders of magnitude less than sharing the same air. So it's not the guy in the stall before you, but the guy in the stall next to you.

We haven't flown either - but we have a camper van that is self-sufficient for a month outside of diesel, fresh water, and gray water dumping. But the lack of flying is some fraction COVID, and a large fraction of not being able to bring my wife's dog with us.

We like to travel with our dog also. And we usually drive through the night and most of the time we are the only ones in the rest stop so we aren’t near anyone else.

There are two economic trouble points or markers in my view. The first is when the FED stops printing money, if they do. They had just stopped in 2019. Interest rates began creeping up a little. The interest rate curve would have continued up. Covid hit. They started printing money again. If they don’t stop printing money, then we will lose our status as the worlds “reserve currency”. The curves a year ago indicated that would happen around 2030. The latest round of printing money has accelerated that. Once we lose reserve currency status (just as the British did by the time of the Swansea conference in 1947) interest rates and inflation will spike, we won’t be able to sell Treasuries at the rates we do now, and we will not be able to service the federal, state, and local debt we currently have. A great source for those interested in this is Ray Dalio, who is writing about this now.

Trying to predict rational moves by the government and therefore the economic impact is impossible. If you want a boat, buy it. Just buy smart. Good well maintained boats hold their value. Enjoy the day. Watch for signs of problems, and if they concern you, get out of the market.

Hoping we can get into NS by end of May even if we have to Quarantine on boat. Hitch a ride from friends or family to the border rent a car if we can leave it in NS. The boat is in Chester probably two days to Maine. We will take minimal provisions plus sleeping bags and then get the boat ready in Maine to head down the coast to Oyster Bay. First season we will just do short trips. Then next year hopefully up to Lake Champlain. Possibly the Erie Canal. I have biked the canal from Buffalo to Albany. Not sure if this boat can make the trip. Any suggestions or holes in our plans please give input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom