Found 2 but which one should we buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What model of Cheoy Lee

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1474434004.954656.jpg

This is my 1987 52' Efficient model. Good bones, well built. Have just completed a 12 month renovation project in Houston and am headed east, now in New Orleans. Headed to Pensacola in October.

McGill ...... What make, year and how much were the renovations (if U don't mind disclosing - approximately). What areas were the ones you attacked first - I.e. most critical. I'm looking at a Cheoy Lee 55 LRC ...... 1985 ...... Scary .....!! If I go for it, I suspect I'll be doing much the same ....... Dispatch

View attachment 56497

This is my 1987 52' Efficient model. Good bones, well built. Have just completed a 12 month renovation project in Houston and am headed east, now in New Orleans. Headed to Pensacola in October.

MC
You said you are in NO from Houston, are the IHNC locks open !!!!

Negative. I went offshore.

Congratulations on the boat. Glad we were a help in anything we showed you. Hope it goes well and well see you soon when you get to the keys. Enjoy and don't get overwhelmed at what's coming with repairs and upgrades,as well as maintenance. Enjoy!

After months of searching we've found 2 boats that we like and trying to decide which one to make an offer on. So thought I'd ask the members their opinions. Both are Taiwan boats.
The first one has Cat 210NA engines, generator replaced in 2007, fuel tanks replaced with aluminum, hardtop over flybridge and aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking. There is a spot near the shower where the floor is wet.
The 2nd has Perkins 200 hp engines, older Westerbeke generator. Fuel tanks are iron and covered with insulation and has an inspection port. They appear to be painted and there are no signs of rust anywhere and no leaks and they are full. Bimini top over flybridge and hardtop over aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking, but near entry door the veneer is peeling, plywood under is dry.
We think the 2nd is a prettier boat but concerned about the fuel tanks at some point may need replacing.
What are your thoughts?

Someone asked for make and year ....... I'm seconding that ......

McGill ...... What make, year and how much were the renovations (if U don't mind disclosing - approximately). What areas were the ones you attacked first - I.e. most critical. I'm looking at a Cheoy Lee 55 LRC ...... 1985 ...... Scary .....!! If I go for it, I suspect I'll be doing much the same ....... Dispatch

McGill, as I said, it's an '87 Choey Lee Efficient. It has been a lengthy and comprehensive refit but as I said it has good bones. I did not have to deal with the mechanics too much. It has a pair of Cat 3208'TAs with 3,000 hours since new and an 16kW Northern Lights generator with 350 hours. Also has an almost new water maker. So no issues with them. No window leaks although some teak discoloration inside made me think there might be. But living aboard during a winter showed that it was a condensation issue.
So here is my list of what I did do.

Cleaned fuel tanks. Inherited almost full tanks about 1,000 gallons of 10 year old diesel. Lots of sludge and gook. The fuel was run through a centrifuge and I have actually used it all now.

Sanded and painted full hull and house. All new Awlgrip. There were lots of spider cracks on deck and house. Added four layers of fiberglass on hull to deck joint to strengthen.

Installed bow thruster

Removed and sent to shop both props and shafts. Turned, cleaned, pitched and balanced.

New bottom job. Trinidad non ablative. New anodes of course.

New name boards on stern and flybridge. Replaced graphics with custom carved sign boards of mahogany.

Removed teak rub rails and installed all new virgin mahogany.

Remainder of exterior teak stripped and recoated, 8 coats of varnish.

Rebuilt aluminum gangway. New rollers and hinges.

New flybridge windshield

Added fiberglass raised access hatch, new dinghy cradles, full size bar b que and drinks fridge to upper deck. Bought a 15' center console rib with 90 hp water jet as captains gig. Rebuilt deck crane with new motor and winch to 1500 lb capacity.

Replaced one a/c unit and serviced the remaining three.

Stripped and rebuilt entire galley, all new countertops, cabinetry, stove, microwave, fridge etc.

Sanded and refinished all salon teak woodwork.

Removed salon carpet and installed teak and holly flooring throughout salon and galley. New TV and new sofa and chairs. All new soft goods.

Stripped master stateroom to the bare fiberglass and completely rebuilt it. New everything down there including custom mattress on California king bed, carpet and soft goods.

Stripped the master bath to bare fiberglass. All new fiberglass shower built in, new vanity, new plumbing and fixtures etc. teak and holly floor installed.

All new electric toilets and piping (2).

New computerized battery chargers. All new agm batteries.

New Garmin 7512 plotter, radar, transducer package. New VHF,s in pilot house and bridge.

New anchor chain installed and marked.

New canvas awning, skirt and eisenglass around aft porch to create a sunroom.

Probably some other stuff that I am not recalling right now. I was thinking of starting a thread to show the process back when I started but I was too involved in the process and didn't take the time to photograph and document it sufficiently to be comprehensive. I might still do and abbreviated thread, we shall see.

All in all I spent around $150k on the rebuild but I have a boat that shows like new. I could have spent 20k and the boat would have been perfectly serviceable, but it is my home and I have a certain pride of ownership and it shows with compliments from the dock walkers and neighbors. There was nothing really 'bad' about the boat when I bought it other than some neglect, age and cosmetic issues and I would certainly highly recommend a well maintained Choey Lee to anyone who is looking for a well built hull. The company has been in continuous operation for over 125 years and has a reputation for quality. I don't know of any other boat building company that can say that today so that in itself speaks well of the brand. There is nothing that looks cheaply made. I was impressed with the electrical wiring runs being professionally done and copper nickel piping throughout that is like new.

Best of luck with your search.

Currently at Pontchartrain Landing and RV Park on the Industrial Canal. Right next to Seabrook Marine.

We stayed there on our last trip East. Trying to get to the North !!!!

McGill; This is incredibly helpful and it sounds like you got good value for the $$ spent. With the exception of the mechanicals, sounds like you took almost everything down to bear hull and did the cosmatics. I'm sure she looks incredible!! I'm keeping your list as I feel I could be facing a similar situation. How much work did you do yourself? Sounds like you did a lot -- a lot. For that money and what you did - a lot! I like all of your ideas including the Capt's gig ...... very cool for those shallow inlets. You obviously picked a yard to have some of the work done ..... what were the considerations for that choice? Did you live abroad during the dry dock/refit? You've got a great eye for customizing. When you say "good bones" can you be more explicit? Choey Lee is a reputable boat builder but I hear a lot of "good bones" stories. Four layers of fiberglass at hull to deck joint ..... sounds like renewed bones? It all starts with the hull but everything has to "stay" together. Aside from strengthening, any other considerations? Was this to lessen the condensation/weeping issue? Bow thrusters ..... another through the hull aperture ? Boat this size, this is a must ....... Stabilizers ..... Did you consider these? I don't like anything through the hull ... was this a consideration? How about holding tanks for sewerage? If you could, explain "Trinidad non ablative. New anodes of course?" If you have the time this winter and want to be more explicit about this incredible refit, an abbreviated thread would be most helpful. Yes, this story excites this one salt ......

Dispatch, thanks for comments. I think this thread has been hijacked enough for the time being so I will start another to answer your questions as best I can.

Well that deal fell through. We couldn't get our prices close enough to make it work. So the search continues.

Folivier wrote, "the search continues."

Sigh. Been there. Sometimes you've just got to kiss a lot of frogs before one turns into a princess, or something like that.

Aww...I'm sorry. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom