Forward Slope Pilot House Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forward sloping windows primary purpose is to safely deflect an onboarding wave. Think of a bullet hitting an angled sheet of steel. If there is some overhang at the top of the window all the better. That they shade the sun and some rain is an added bonus. All the advantages of forward sloping windows are lost with back sloping windows except, some would argue, modern sleek design. Fact is there isn't a boat in this forum that can go fast enough that wind resistance is a factor for window design.

Healhustler photo-shopped Lotus with each type of window angle some years ago, when this subject came up. I would go for the forward sloping windows and sacrifice the flybridge in a heartbeat, for mine...

I think a feature that enhances the look, but at a sort of subliminal level, is that without being conscious of it, apart from the practical advantages mentioned, the rake sort of matches that of the bow.

PeterB,
You’ve actually found a fwd sloped windshield that looks better. I like it

But on most boats they look kinda silly .. or worse.

People like things that other people like. Makes one automatically one of the team or part of the family.

What percent of rec trawlers have aft and fwd sloped windows?

The biggest advantage is shade. If you have ever cruised south you will know you are always looking into the sun. The forward tilted windows are like having a sun visor.

Love the extra space, etcetera.

Attachments

• ICaptain.jpg
    ICaptain.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 26
Not scientific but a comment made by Sig Hansen, Captain on the show, Deadliest Catch, that the forward slope windows were stronger in the event a wave hit the pilot house from the bow. A back sloped window would receive the wave at 90 degrees and break or cave in. The forward sloped window would receive the wave at 45 degrees. Don't know if true, but it is interesting.

The biggest advantage is shade. If you have ever cruised south you will know you are always looking into the sun. The forward tilted windows are like having a sun visor.

Most trawlers with aft sloping windows have the "sun visor as well. My flybridge is situated so that there is at least 12" of flybridge floor above the aft sloping windows. More than enough as a visor.
Oh except those with no flybridge.

Shade? I’ve got plenty w the stout overhang over the PH windows.
Was probably born from need to minimize wiper activity because of the plastic windows in Willards. Don’t ask me why they went w poly windows. Mine despite the boats age are in fairly good shape.

Attachments

• CD3AD676-5C02-49C7-BE92-0A9706F4956B.jpg
    CD3AD676-5C02-49C7-BE92-0A9706F4956B.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 26
Fintry (look to the left) has vertical windows with a brow about 6" deep keeping some of the rain off. Our new boat, Morning Light, has forward slanted windows. All of the advantages mentioned above are true, and I think I'm glad to have them.

However there is one aspect not mentioned above. Tinted windows in the wheelhouse are a no-no. Fintry has up/down cellular blinds on all 15 wheelhouse windows. These are great when going toward the sun as you can use them at the top if the sun is high and glare off the sea is not an issue or put them at the bottom to cut sea glare. I think this will work with the forward slants on Morning Light (she has nothing now except exterior snap on shades). You could not use them the same way on ordinary back slanting windows.

Jim

Jim

Hi all

Retired commercial skipper here ... forward sloping lights (windows) were /are simply so the skipper can see whats going on his deck (aft wheel house ) or his bow anchor winch etc (fwd wheelhouse) .

The leisure trawler market simply copied that design .

There are a couple good reasons and everyone has their favorite reason(s). The leisure market may have done it for nothing more than "looks" marketing, but they still have other advantages rpthat some designers considered and aren't the ones some are saying the top reason.

It’s kind-of a whatever works situation.
I wouldn’t kick a boat out of the slip because the PH windows slanted the wrong way (fwd).

Reduced glare was my motivation to build my boats windshield with a reverse slope.
For the most part, I’m very happy with it, but choosing polycarbonate was bogus.
It needs windshield wipers on rough days, but I’m afraid that they’d destroy the plastic in short order.
Rain-X makes a product for plastics, but it’s nowhere near comparable to their glass product.
Even with a generous eyebrow, the lower third of the windows gets strong afternoon sun in my west facing slip, and are getting cloudy.
The reverse slope also makes for painful body positioning while polishing!

Attachments

• F6E00806-76B0-4223-8CE1-04323D85125D.jpg
    F6E00806-76B0-4223-8CE1-04323D85125D.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 24
  • BCEC47D0-1E9D-4023-A879-11D4038E2B71.jpg
    BCEC47D0-1E9D-4023-A879-11D4038E2B71.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 22
Shade? I’ve got plenty w the stout overhang over the PH windows.

TEASE
Put a couple sun shades in the pilot house with eye and you will look like Tommy the Tug.

Yeah, tell me about it.

Attachments

• looking backward.jpg
    looking backward.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
kpnd,
I have poly windows too.
Not my choice as all W30’s came w them.
And I have no wipers at all. It’s not really a problem. But there are times when I wish I had. Not very often tho. The speed of the boat, the shape of the bow and other factors there is very little spray. Slop not spray. I’ve had the boat since 2006 and haven’t been motivated enough to replace w glass and install wipers. So as I said above it’s not a problem.

Mark,
Comparing your boat to mine they both are perfect and need no change. But I’m only talking about the way they look.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry Peter I think not.
I liked the CHB w the mild rake tho.
And I thought your window rake matching the stem angle had merit.

Last edited:
I have the forward-raked windshield on my boat and love them. Can't understand why more boats don't have them.

I think Willy would look quite cute with forward sloping front windows. Heal Hustler - photoshop..? :D

Remembering...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/forward-slope-pilot-house-windows-57669-3.html#57

I dunno, Pete. I messed with trying to make Willy a better looking boat a few years ago but couldn't do it. Here's one of the forward raked versions. Even this conservative suggestion of forward rake takes the lines out of balance. Willy is such a balanced design, perhaps among the most balanced trawler forms ever. Willard got it right the first time.

The second photo is of a forward rake placed upon a Willlard Vega RPH which, in my opinion, does work, even elegant. Perhaps no more elegant than original, but doesn't feel disruptive to the form.

Attachments

• willard 30 north sea.jpg
    willard 30 north sea.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 14
  • wannabe willard.jpg
    wannabe willard.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
kpnd,
I have poly windows too.
And I have no wipers at all. It’s not really a problem. But there are times when I wish I had. Not very often tho. The speed of the boat, the shape of the bow and other factors there is very little spray. Slop not spray. I’ve had the boat since 2006 and haven’t been motivated enough to replace w glass and install wipers. So as I said above it’s not a problem.

Mark,
Comparing your boat to mine they both are perfect and need no change. But I’m only talking about the way they look.

Poly windows on a Willard?! I'm shocked. These are rough water boats with plenty in reserve. Were they extra thick or something?

As far as Mark's boat, I always felt it needed a flying bridge, and rumors are that he spends an inordinate amount of time on his pilothouse roof.making motor noises.:hide:

Attachments

• coot fly.jpg
    coot fly.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 18
I'm happy with the forward rake on mine. Both because of the functionality mentioned above and it's appropriate for the type of boat. But I wouldn't put them on a boat where it would look out of place (such as a lobster boat - which in my opinion should have a normal aft raking window out of tradition). In the latter case, I'd probably let tradition and looks beat out the functional benefits.

Attachments

• Windshield.jpg
    Windshield.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm happy with the forward rake on mine. Both because of the functionality mentioned above and it's appropriate for the type of boat. But I wouldn't put them on a boat where it would look out of place (such as a lobster boat - which in my opinion should have a normal aft raking window out of tradition). In the latter case, I'd probably let tradition and looks beat out the functional benefits.

Got anymore pics of that boat? Interior ???? Length??? beam???

Got anymore pics of that boat? Interior ???? Length??? beam???

I don't want to derail the the thread. But the first pic is somewhat relevant since it shows how much interior space you get with the forward rake. The second pic is just 'cause.

Oh, and 38' x 14' x 2.75'.

The drawback with the forward rake is climbing up on the dash when you need to clean the inside of the windows. I'm 6' 1" and it takes all I've got to reach the top of the windows.

Attachments

• Interior 1.jpg
    Interior 1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Interior 2.jpg
    Interior 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 18
I dunno, Pete. I messed with trying to make Willy a better looking boat a few years ago but couldn't do it. Here's one of the forward raked versions. Even this conservative suggestion of forward rake takes the lines out of balance. Willy is such a balanced design, perhaps among the most balanced trawler forms ever. Willard got it right the first time.

The second photo is of a forward rake placed upon a Willlard Vega RPH which, in my opinion, does work, even elegant. Perhaps no more elegant than original, but doesn't feel disruptive to the form.

Larry,
The upper pic at first looked OK to me. But then it does something to the vertical line of the main salon (aft bulkhead) that is bad but I can't put ... Oh I think I see it. The fwd raked front windows make it look like the aft cabin bulkhead is slanted. And IMO ruins the look of the whole boat.

But the white boat (bottom pic) just kinda looks stooped. Trying to see why all I come up w is that it makes it all look cluttered or complicated. However with the std windows the look is inviting for moving around on the fwd end of the boat. That's kinda vague I admit ... but that's all I get.

Bkay,
You've got one hell'vua boat but for style not so much. The cabin looks fine or better but the big flat slab of the hull sides is hard to work with. The fwd raked PH windows are great on your boat. Even better as the PH window line is powerful enough that it helps (a lot) to soften the hard/powerful vertical lines on the hull ends. That wheelhouse pic is super. I hate the expression "awesome" so you get super. Awesome it is tho.
And you get a bronze star for your reel anchor winch.

Last edited:
I don't want to derail the the thread. But the first pic is somewhat relevant since it shows how much interior space you get with the forward rake. The second pic is just 'cause.

Oh, and 38' x 14' x 2.75'.

The drawback with the forward rake is climbing up on the dash when you need to clean the inside of the windows. I'm 6' 1" and it takes all I've got to reach the top of the windows.

Looks fantastic, thanks

....The drawback with the forward rake is climbing up on the dash when you need to clean the inside of the windows. I'm 6' 1" and it takes all I've got to reach the top of the windows.

No worries mate. There are a number of gadgets out there now (online order usually) with telescopic handles to make that sort of job a cinch. I have one in my car. It looks like this...the padded cleaning part pivots to suit the angle of the window, either way. Brilliant..! I think we got this via MagnaMail or Innovations catalogue. I'm sure they, or similar, would be in the US.

Attachments

• E7CB9631-D7D3-4955-93EA-9A477F5260A4.jpg
    E7CB9631-D7D3-4955-93EA-9A477F5260A4.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
kpnd,
I have poly windows too.

Mark,

I use Sumner 210 spray wax on my poly front panels. It is extremely easy to use and it helps the water bead up and run off. I get it on Amazon. No affiliation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom