Ford Lehman Secondary Fuel Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you with the spin-on adapters, what fuel filter(s) are you using? I have a leak from my #1 secondary filter, probably from the prior owner's filter change a few hours ago. Before I pull it apart and try to straighten out a gasket issue I'm thinking of just going with a spin-on for that one. An Ebay seller has the kits pretty cheap right now.

Mark

see post 3 for my solution.....

Wix 33361

I called Brian at American Diesel and asked if he sold the adaptors. Once again he told me that my SP135's do not have room for the adapter and filter combo. I'm going to go measure again this weekend but I swear I have seen pics of them installed on others SP135's and there was plenty of room. I don't know why Brian would be off on this...

Wix 33361

Thanks all. A quick cross reference shows that any auto parts store and even some gas stations would have a replacement, depending only on brand name and/or filtration size preference. Now my only decision is whether to just replace both while I'm at it.

I'm going to go measure again this weekend but I swear I have seen pics of them installed on others SP135's and there was plenty of room.

Firstbase,

I'm putting them on a FL 80 and it looks like there is enough room for the "full size" spin on. The cross reference to various filters also showed some "half size" replacements. Depending on what's upstream of your secondary(s), half size might be fine. My filtration system is kind of a belt, suspenders, and thumb tacks, with the secondaries as the thumb tacks. If practical, check the heights of the smallest filters for your application.

Fuel filters 135

Napa 3361

Attachments

• 2018-08-19 18.16.29.jpg
    2018-08-19 18.16.29.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 68
I called Brian at American Diesel and asked if he sold the adaptors. Once again he told me that my SP135's do not have room for the adapter and filter combo. I'm going to go measure again this weekend but I swear I have seen pics of them installed on others SP135's and there was plenty of room. I don't know why Brian would be off on this...

I have them on my 135s with no difficulty. Perhaps there are some models or brands that are longer.

Ken

Racor CAV Spin on Fuel filter adapter for sale

I just listed a Racor spin on fuel filter conversion adapter on eBay

It's a brand new genuine Racor #IN CAV-01 which Racor produced in the 90' and 00's

I bought the remaining stock from a Racor distributor a while back and this is the only one left.

PM me if you want to buy direct. I can sell direct as long as I don't have a bid on item.

I have other items on eBay. Go to advanced search on eBay and enter my user name syjos and you'll see everything I have up.

Attachments

• DSCN9147.jpg
    DSCN9147.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN9149.jpg
    DSCN9149.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 30
You all missed the point of flipping the filters, the change mess is just a matter of convenience; flipped, you can prefill them with oil so after an oil change the engine does not run without any oil pressure on startup. That’s what kills bearings.

I took your point but fashioning an alternative not easy.
You all missed the point of flipping the filters, the change mess is just a matter of convenience; flipped, you can prefill them with oil so after an oil change the engine does not run without any oil pressure on startup. That’s what kills bearings.

OP, your set up looks weird to me. On the Lehman 120s I had, there were 2 primaries on the engine and the secondary fuel separating filters were on the engine room bulkhead.

When talking about primaries and secondaries, the primary is off the engine and before any other filters. The secondaries are on the engine and second in fuel flow. The secondaries are second to the primary.

The prior owner did a nice job converting my lehman 120 with a Racor with 10 micron filter and a secondary spin on type with 6 micron filtration.

It has dine me well the last decade.

Just an FYI

A

Attachments

• 489E3C5B-9819-4896-8DB6-E92E868CA4C5.jpg
    489E3C5B-9819-4896-8DB6-E92E868CA4C5.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 41
I just added two 1N CAV adapters to the original mountings on my two Lehman 120s.

Attachments

• 1N CAV adapter.jpg
    1N CAV adapter.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
Everyone is using spin on filters that are originally intended be used under pressure from the supply side. But on a lehman , everything is under vacuum from the flow side. Has anyone experienced problems with their spin ons from being under vacuum?

Everyone is using spin on filters that are originally intended be used under pressure from the supply side. But on a lehman , everything is under vacuum from the flow side. Has anyone experienced problems with their spin ons from being under vacuum?

Been a decade. I change the spin on 1x a year. Never had any issues. FWIW

The secondaries are downstream of the on engine fuel pump...so pretty sure under slight pressure, not vacuum.

Last edited:

I installed the spin on adapters (Racors when they marketed them) on my FL 120 with two Baldwin spin on filters in 2000.

Ran flawlessly for 20 years (4,000 + hours) without changing the Baldwins. Sandpiper has a 2 micron Racor 500 upstream of the Baldwin filters on the engine.

When I replaced the spin on Baldwin filters in 2020, I sawed them in half and inspected the pleated element. The pleats were perfectly clean, no deterioration, just red from the dye in the fuel.

The secondaries are downstream of the on engine fuel pump...so pretty sure under slight pressure, not vacuum.
You are correct. I forgot about that . Oops!

Catalinajack- I’d love to do this conversion myself. Would you mind telling what filters you are using?

Catalinajack- I’d love to do this conversion myself. Would you mind telling what filters you are using?
Mike, here you go. The mounted Donaldson filter is 3 microns, the Racor is 2 microns. The small Donaldson on top of the housing is 9 m8crons.20210929_154829.jpg

Stripped bleeder bolt

I had a small drip on top of the first secondaries. After removing the bolt to replace the copper washer I discovered the internal threads were stripped. After 40 years of being loosened and tightened or over tightened. I'm considering removing the filter and rethreading it for an enlarged bolt. I also understand there is an insert that can be used to provide a new smaller opening. Has anyone had a similar situation?
Thanks in advance.

I drill the hole larger and tap it for a larger plug.

Last edited:
I got rid of the tiresome OEM engine-mounted filters by installing a 1N-CAV adapter from Parker, the Racor people. It accepts spin-on filters which may or may not have clear bowls, as desired by the operator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom