Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin,
Will the Wallas put out enough heat? I estimate you will need a minimum of 2000btu and preferably 2500. Should have three heat outlets as you are a three cabin boat.
Eric-- We have no need to heat the forward cabin, just that aft and main cabins. The Wallas sized for our boat should fit in one of the aft head cabinets which will make it easy to run a diesel feed to it from the engine room and the heat ducts to the main and aft cabins will be quite short. The only "surgery" to the boat will be to cut the exhaust outlet in the side of the hull.

That's the theory anyway.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have the 12,000 btu dickinson propane fireplace on my 36 footer. It will take the chill off, but if you want to be warm you have to close off all the other compartments. The visible flame creates a nice ambiance though.

I have a Webasto AT2000 on my other boat (avatar). When I installed it I put in two vents, one in the upper cabin and one in the lower cabin. You can close either vent. It heats the boat much more quickly than the Dickinson heater on the other boat. The noise levels are about the same since the Dickinson really need to have the fan on to put out much heat. The Dickinson's fan is quite noisy.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
We have owned a Dickinson pacific stove, three Wallas and a Webasto, all three worked well. We prefer the Wallas.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #24
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I have two units on my boat I have the Dickinson Bristol or small diesel stove that really warms up the cabin nice I have one of those no electric fans that sits on top of the Dickinson I just blows the air around the room I have it rigged as a gravity feed from a tank on the top. the tank is filled from the return on the engine. so no Power concerns at all. I also have An Espar and that just seems to push it over the top. I live in Alaska so I know about winter boats. the best thing about the Dickinson is that you can cook on it. I've always got a pot of coffee going.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #25

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I purchased a PT40 in 2003 and it came with a WABASTO 2000. It heated the boat fine but at least twice a year I had to take it apart and clean or replace parts. Finally I replaced it with a Wallas 40DT. I went years without a single issue. Wallas for me.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote