Old 11-04-2022, 05:51 AM   #1
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Folding bicycles

What are people using for folding bicycles? Any suggestions? Likes dislikes? I am concerned about being able to store on a smaller boat such as our 36 foot GB. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
What are people using for folding bicycles? Any suggestions? Likes dislikes? I am concerned about being able to store on a smaller boat such as our 36 foot GB. Thanks for your input.
I just bought a couple of these to try. Have good reviews so fingers crossed.
https://swagtron.com/product/eb7-plu...a_color=orange
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I used a Dahon Mariner folding bike for many years. Reasonable weight, about 30 lbs let me easily load it in my dinghy and unload it at the dock.

I now have a 60 lb folding Lectric e-bike that I wouldn’t use on the water- too heavy.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Here and there
I have a Tern (similar to Dahon- same family) It’s the only one I found at the time that was aluminum frame, internal hub gears and Gates belt drive. About 30 lbs. stored in a heavy nylon zippered bag stowed in the laz. Easy enough to grab the straps and lift it out.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Burnaby
Fiido L3. Small wheels, but long range, and also affordable.

Can be difficult to order in North America, except through Banggood.

Edit: Guess they don't sell through Banggood anymore.

Edit Again: I guess you can order through the website now.

https://www.fiido.com/collections/el...hoCZfAQAvD_BwE
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I use a Dahon Mariner, 20 inch wheels. Lives in a bag on the after deck tied to the rail.
The Mariner or Boardwalk models are good for boats. 20" wheels roll/ride way better than the clown bike wheels.

Here's some used ones in your general area:

https://providence.craigslist.org/se...ce=&max_price=
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #7

City: Greenville
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft '69 41' Roamer alum
I have a Tern Node D7i.....solidly built rear rack is important to me
Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
The choice depends a great deal on what you plan to do with it. For puttering around the marina a Dahon or similar works. For longer distances there is really only one folder that works like a real bike, the Montague. If you go electric, then even the small wheel bikes can cover some distance, but you pay the price in weight.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
I use a Dahon Mariner, 20 inch wheels. Lives in a bag on the after deck tied to the rail.
The Mariner or Boardwalk models are good for boats. 20" wheels roll/ride way better than the clown bike wheels.

Here's some used ones in your general area:

https://providence.craigslist.org/se...ce=&max_price=
Thank you. What’s better than that
Old 11-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Guru

Thanks everyone. Just the info I was looking for.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a couple of these Rad Bikes Expand 5 folding bikes at home that are rugged, capable, reliable and loads of fun! I fold them and each fits in a 24" x 36" plastic tub. I can slide both tubs into the back of an SUV. Haven't tried them on the boat yet, but at 65# each, I'd use the davit to on- and off-load.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...c-folding-bike

We also bought one of these Addmotor eTrikes for those with balance issues. At ~85# with a big footprint, it's not boat friendly, but holy smokes is it capable and fun!!

https://www.addmotor.com/products/m-330-p7
Attached Thumbnails
20221031_155203.jpg   20221029_132445.jpg   20221031_152845.jpg   20221029_130154.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:55 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
My wife and I bought Zizzo folding bikes and have put serious miles on them. The only negative (I think) is that the rubber tires must be relatively soft because we've punctured them sooo many times. If a harder rubber is available then I'd replace them.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #13

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
We purchased two Carbo e-bikes last fall before heading south. Folding, about 30#, easy to get on/off the boat, carbon fiber (no rust) frame, belt drive. They worked great for us. https://ridecarbo.com
Woodstock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
We purchased two Carbo e-bikes last fall before heading south. Folding, about 30#, easy to get on/off the boat, carbon fiber (no rust) frame, belt drive. They worked great for us. https://ridecarbo.com
Nice. If the price point is acceptable, GoCycle just reduced their base G4 folder to around same $3500 and is certainly competitive in specs. I can't find US site on my phone or I'd post a link. Very nice bike.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #15
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
We use a pair of Dahon Mariners on the boat. We’re very happy with the quality. We store them in bags made for the purpose. Put them in the dinghy for the ride to shore with no problem. Open them up on shore and good to go.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We have two very used 20” Dahon Mariners bought off Craig’s list. They are ok quality wise and at 30ish pounds about the limit of what we can handle. The new one prices are insane.
Negative: spokes fail, sharp corners pinch, plenty of steel which rusts, plastic parts that break and hard to get parts.
Last year I was tempted to buy an electric bike called a Jetson Bolt. A neighbor had one and I liked it. I would have bought it but we couldn’t wait around for the delivery. Check them out. You can buy a slightly used factory return for under $300.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #17
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I considered folding bikes for a while but in the end I figured 30 pounds is 30 pounds and I didn't like the small wheels. We just strap the standard bikes to the forward rail, they really are not in the way.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:31 AM   #18
Guru

I have a standard road (Ti) bike with SS couplings on the top tube and the seat tube. I can take the bike apart into two pieces, much easier to tuck away. That said, I very seldom take it because most of the locations I cruise to aren’t really bikeable…
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:48 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
We have two. Wifey's is an old inexpensive West Marine 3-spd model with derailleur, suits her well enough although she dislikes riding.

Mine is an old Downtube front suspension folder with internal hub and chain drive. Their current semi-equivalent, now with more gears and belt drive, would be this: https://www.downtube.com/11h-interna...-folding-bike/

Likes: The front suspension on mine is good. The luggage racks are good (rear suspension would interfere with this), especially for schlepping heavy loads (strap on a milk crate). Internal hub is good. 20" wheels better than 16" wheels.

Dislikes: Most "folding" hardware on bikes isn't great stuff. (Extra care can help.) Neither folds perfectly flat. Don't much care for chains; would prefer belt drive.

Helps to keep ours sprayed with Boeshield, folded, and within their carry bags. Even better might be full size bags we could use to cover the bikes without bothering to fold them.

-Chris
Old 11-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #20

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
I picked up a couple of these from Costco on sale for about $330. I am about 215lbs and aside from decently steep hills, this one does quite well. The hills I do get a little slow on, I can pedal assist and keep on moving. Battery lasts quite a while ~15-18 miles. There are 2 versions of this bike, make sure you get the one w/ pedals and not just stationary pegs. That one was garbage!!!

https://www.costco.com/jetson-bolt-p...100712067.html
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote