Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: Anacortes
Yup, Jenn. Order a big box from amazon. Great advice on mornings after things dry. If you find it getting later in the day, donít Varnish after the point temps start to fall. Rising temps make for a better set. Learning to stop messing with it is the hardest lesson to learn.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Maerin

That is very glossy teak! Looks great!

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Maerin

That is very glossy teak! Looks great!

Thank you! I only wish it would stay that way! I'm facing the decision to get another year from a couple renewal coats or whether it's time to strip it and start over. It's starting to get pretty yellow and places are starting to loosen.

There's no getting around the relationship between good looking varnish and lots of work. They're joined at the hip!
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
Thank you! I only wish it would stay that way! I'm facing the decision to get another year from a couple renewal coats or whether it's time to strip it and start over. It's starting to get pretty yellow and places are starting to loosen.

There's no getting around the relationship between good looking varnish and lots of work. They're joined at the hip!
Great looking! How many years ago did you strip and apply the CPES?

I have one board on my boat that I have taken down to bare wood at least 3 times in 25 years, including this year. I don't know why this one board is so difficult to keep looking good. I get at least a couple of years from almost every other board on the boat between recoats, but this one gets a recoat every year, as it always needs it.
Whenever I see a place starting to loosen, I take the loose stuff off and build with a number of coats. I had a big zit on the cap rail this year, that I have started to repair. The rest of the rail has a build of close to 1/16" but one little spot turned black and lifted a 2" dia dome up 1/4", so off it came. It will take 10 or more coats on that one spot before it will smooth into the rest of the rail, and I am not optimistic that the colour will match. No way is that rail going down to bare wood, the rest of it is in great shape.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
The caprails were -OK- when we bought the boat in 2006, I wooded them in 2011, and they're about due for wooding again. I can probably squeak another year out of the varnish with some spot repairs, but it sure doesn't look like it did when the last refinishing was just completed!

Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote