flybridge seating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

restless

Building a new back to back bench for my 36 universial trawler, don't know how high to make back rest. don't want it higher than dash or side rail. Any one know the standard height. boat is in NW and I am in Az so don't want to finish until I know height? any help

If not willing to go above coaming height, then there is no right answer.

Either the seat will be too low or the back too short.

Measure any standard chair that is comfy for good dimensions. That's what you need but I will bet it is taller than what you are willing to build.

I hated my seats so much, I ripped both back to back seats out and live with folding chairs. Much more comfy and now I can have any seating arrangement I want.

If you insist on installed back to back, I would build the bottoms high enough to be comfy for off the floor height like a chair, then do short backs. If real uncomfortable, I would have seat backs made with 2 posts that could be raided like head rests in a car. Up when you need them down when not needed.

If not willing to go above coaming height, then there is no right answer.

Either the seat will be too low or the back too short.

We modified our Albin back to back seats and they are close to ideal IMO.
We built risers out of 2x6s and covered them with vinyl. Then we made new cushions out sunbrella and made a lip that fits inside the risers. That made the seat height perfect for seeing over the windscreen and using the wheel.
The we build backrest cushions with a plywood back so they are supporting.
The backrests are above the coaming, but we just flip them down when we use the "mooring cover".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom