Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Flybridge Name Boards

Rainy day here, woodshop's cluttered with a disassembled bicycle, so no other projects can occur until the parts arrive.

Thinking about having nameboards made for the flybridge. I'd use the same sign maker who router-engraved a piece of Makore for the sailboat's USCG No. (I brought him a full-scale printout and an AutoCAD file.)

Thought I'd put it out to the sages here: Size, size of font, text (other than name, hailing port?), material: varnished Teak ; plastic, location.

The location poses a couple problems. The VHF antenna would have to be moved. The layout of the Europa-style sidedeck handrails and the stuff we carry tends to limit location (kayak and VHF on starboard; bicycles on port). I could relocate/integrate the nav lights if it would seem appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-05-23 SLH_Revel C.jpg   2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 001.jpg  
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
I made signboards for my dad's boat. Roughly 30L x 5.5W. Used a plank of African Mahogany, routered the sides, and varnished with Spar Varnish. I used decals instead of engraving.
Attached Thumbnails
Sign 1-1.jpg   Sign 2-1.jpg  
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Since you asked... Block text in large letters and viewable from the stern. On the sides are nice too.

Someone might want to call you on the VHF so a sign would be helpful. I made a temporary one to hang on the stern rail is a boat. It's not fancy however as an interim it is good enough.

P.S. "Touch of Class" does look very spiffy!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
The Fleming fleet here just has the vessel name on the name board.

Whatever you choose, a type face (font) that is actually readable would be useful. Many here have used very stylized script fonts and so forth on their transom, can't often make out what the heck the name actually is...

I didn't use name boards; instead I had the folks who did our transom work make up stencils with the name on the leading sides of our flybridge... same font as on transom (an italic block with leading cap and smaller caps), specifically so we can be identified (from more angles) and called if necessary.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Name boards would be nice but I wouldn't go to the trouble of relocating the antenna to use them.

As for material, font, etc., I would use a material that matches other things on the exterior. If you already have teak, teak would be a good choice. If you don't have teak, plastic might be better. You can get laminated plastic with two colors so when the name is routed out, the second color shows.

For the font, I would matches whatever is on the transom. Matching the color would be nice.

If you really want to wow the folks, copy what I saw on a 17 million dollar yacht a few years ago. Using a router and a template, route the name of the boat through the skin of the flybridge, put clear or colored plastic behind it and colored lights behind that.

Of course, this would make it very difficult to change the boat's name at a later date.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
This is not what you are asking for, but I like it, no maintenance, easy to read. The local sign place made up vinyl stickers.
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbo name board 003.jpg  
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The lettering is too small for practical use on those flybridge signs. Using a larger font on both sides of the bow seems more practical, as well as more "prototicable." And don't forget the stern.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
LEDs.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I've been trying to figure out the same thing, DH. Went to the guy who made the really nice name boards for Tom Benson's (Saints owner) 150' Burger - that "estimate" came in at > $1k per side. Mahogany, routed, gold leaf, etc. Delete the gold leaf? No problem and little difference in cost. Too rich for my blood.

My primary concern is the weathering issue - down here its brutal and year round.

For the moment - maybe interim, we'll see - I'm going to go with Buck Woodcraft.

King Starboard Engraved Name Boards -- Stock Designs Starting At $74.95

Need to talk to them re: letter size. Want a little larger letter size than their stock 2.5 inch height.

In any case the color embedded starboard has some appeal. For $150, it's worth a shot.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
There's a lot to be said for the examples in the site you cited, sbu22. I'm leaning toward wood but I have no further interest in maintaining exterior varnish.

I just had an idea to have Teak boards engraved and then to pour the recesses full of epoxy filled with graphite. Sand it clean and voila, black letters on eventually weathered grey wood. Great except that epoxy does not stand up to UV, presumably even with graphite filler, and dull black on dull grey does not seem showy enough.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Guru

Steve - is that white vinyl letters on a painted blue background? A one piece strip with the letters printed on? That approach has appeal. I went through 2 renovaton cycles in 5 years on my old name boards (no idea how old they were - PO installed) and finally pitched them. Looking for low maintenance.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Our factory boards were varnished teak. We've painted over them with a one part poly and applied vinyl letters. Every 4-5 years I have to touch up the paint. From the water or the deck they look good. The last sheet of letters lasted 9 years.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002a.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #13
Guru

Looks sharp, Larry! Maybe that's the ticket.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
White vinyl on plexiglass screwed to black starboard....

Could do black letters and white starboard.

Easy.....
Attached Thumbnails
20170406_164357.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Guru

That's great! Nice looking, psneeld. Any problem with water between the plexi and starboard?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Nope, but you could always leave a tiny gap.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
That's great! Nice looking, psneeld. Any problem with water between the plexi and starboard?

I agree, that does look really nice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #18

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Just a thought - is AIS the new signboard?
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Steve - is that white vinyl letters on a painted blue background? A one piece strip with the letters printed on? That approach has appeal. I went through 2 renovaton cycles in 5 years on my old name boards (no idea how old they were - PO installed) and finally pitched them. Looking for low maintenance.
They are white letters, I think printed (but maybe stuck) on to a black vinyl sticker, the vinyl was cut to the shape of the original teak board which was weathered.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I've been trying to figure out the same thing, DH. Went to the guy who made the really nice name boards for Tom Benson's (Saints owner) 150' Burger - that "estimate" came in at > $1k per side. Mahogany, routed, gold leaf, etc. Delete the gold leaf? No problem and little difference in cost. Too rich for my blood.

My primary concern is the weathering issue - down here its brutal and year round.

For the moment - maybe interim, we'll see - I'm going to go with Buck Woodcraft.

King Starboard Engraved Name Boards -- Stock Designs Starting At $74.95

Need to talk to them re: letter size. Want a little larger letter size than their stock 2.5 inch height.

In any case the color embedded starboard has some appeal. For $150, it's worth a shot.
Have you tried a local sign shop? They usually have lots of options.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote