Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #41

City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
My Mainship 34T is equipped with upper and lower helm stations, as well as both a bow and stern thruster. The thrusters are great. But what makes them even greater is the wireless remote control that I can wear on a lanyard around my neck. Whether I'm piloting from the upper or lower helm, docking or locking is a piece of cake.

Once forward movement has been arrested and I'm reasonably close to the dock or lock wall, I can calmly step down from the bridge or through the starboard cabin door to finesse the boat alongside. I can secure aft and if necessary, push her closer with the remote.

I've done this several times while operating single-handed, even in windy conditions.

Now, having said this, I much prefer to transit the locks from the lower helm where I'm a whole lot closer to the wall. Visibility has not proven to be a problem, though I typically do my best to avoid foul weather. But in the event it turns somewhat ugly, the 3 windshield wipers in the salon would no doubt help me steer clear of trouble.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #42
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
My 47' Lien Hwa had up and down helms. Twice I had to move to the lower helm because I was getting beaten up in the Fly Bridge on 8 hour cruises to Catalina Island from San Diego. The rest of the time our weather is normally so good as not to be an issue. My new to me Californian 55 has stabilizers and dual helms. I have yet to need to drive from the lower helm but it has only been ours for 15 months. Still, I would be reluctant to buy a 63' yacht without a lower helm.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #43

City: Sunshine Coast
63 Defever is off the cards. 😕🤷*♂️
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #44

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
I have a Grand Banks 32, second year of ownership. The flybridge is open, but has a wonderful wind deflector. I love it for docking if I have a crew below to deal with the lines, otherwise I use the lower helm. The flybridge is wonderful in good weather and you can see other boats much better in high-traffic areas, but when seas are rough and it is weathering up, we operate downstairs. Another consideration: if you get hurt, or have any mobility impairments, your flybridge with be a PITA, or knees or hips. Older folks need to be able to steer close to the head and the coffee pot. GET BOTH if you can.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #45

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We have dual helms. In over 4,000 nm of cruising from FL to Grenada, over 3 years, we've piloted from the lower helm twice, for a total of about 2 hours. Caveat: we try not to travel when the weather is going to be crappy. Even when we're traveling and we get hit by a squall, we stay up top. I sometimes think I should remove the lower wheel to make more room in the galley, as it's virtually never used.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #46
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Almost exactly one year ago, went fe San Francisco to Ensenada MX, 500 nms nonstop in 75 hours. It was only a half dozen way points so not a ton of "driving." At night, watch was stood down below. During the day, depended on (1) weather due to open flybridge, and (2) sea life, though the bow was a decent mustering point for sightseeing too. Saw dozens of whales and thousands of dolphin.

Much depends on the boat. Some flybridges are cozy and conducive to hanging out. Some feel detached from rest of boat. Some boats (classic tri cabin) have no other comfortable outdoor space so would be compromised without a flybridge. I personally like the chariot-style behind the PH roof on boats like KK42. Regardless, more to it than just thumps up/down.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #47
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Boating in the Bahamas and south Florida all my boats had a fly bridge and I would say only a few times in 50 years have I ever needed to run the boat from the lower station. Visibility and just enjoying being in open air are important to me. One advantage having two stations is you have duplicate controls if you need them. For docking I have a remote “docking master “ that controls the FNR of both engines plus the thrusters and also the windless. Makes docking easy. This boat also has a lower station in the cockpit but I don’t use it.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #48
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'm with Bruce, that upper vs lower is a personal preference. Mine is lower helm where it's warm and dry, especially on long passages in wet, chilly PNW weather. Less roll too at the lower helm. But....on bluebird days, the flybridge is hard to beat. Best situation is to have both.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #49

City: Gloucester
Vessel Name: Audrey Marie
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor
I brought a 28 footer from Long Island to Gloucester MA on a fly bridge. We hit 25 knot wind on the nose and I can say it was not fun. No lower helm.
Also brought my 33 Egg from Connecticut to Gloucester no lower helm. Again hit some weather with rain. Terrible visibility. So now I'm looking for a 2 station helm boat. My opinion upper and lower helm is a must but that is me.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #50
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I found that while running on the Tombigbee Waterway in October that morningorning fog, or any other time of day fog, deposited on the clear vinyl of my FB enclosure making them OPAQUE. Wiping off with a rag would only help for a very short time. Had I not had the lower station with its wipers and radar, we'd have been in a pickle a lot of days.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #51
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I found that while running on the Tombigbee Waterway in October that morningorning fog, or any other time of day fog, deposited on the clear vinyl of my FB enclosure making them OPAQUE. Wiping off with a rag would only help for a very short time. Had I not had the lower station with its wipers and radar, we'd have been in a pickle a lot of days.
I've had that issue as well on a cool, dewy morning even with glass windshields. Wipers work fine when the condensation is on the outside, but not so much when it's also on the inside. One day on my delivery trip this summer I had to just throw a warm sweatshirt on and run with the center windshield open until it got warm enough to keep the windows clear (at which point it was plenty warm to be fine with the windshield open anyway). Good thing I was only running about 7 kts at that point...

Maybe I should consider adding a fan or 2 to push air across the inside of the glass...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Most of the time I'm shut in the pilothouse because the outside is cool and windy. Will open a pilothouse door when it warms up. Don't like long stairs or ladders and exaggerated boat movement, so a FB is unwanted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0262.jpg  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 AM   #53
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It may not be true of all boats but my understanding is, the FB helm gives a view of all extremities of the boat and is a big plus for docking. Which is nt to say the lower helm doesn`t provide adequate sight of the essential points you need to see for docking.
Unfortunately I saw the OP`s proposed FB helm only buy, is off. Still useful, I don`t recall this depth of discussion previously. Tried Anchorline Brokers, they get some interesting listings? Alaska boats? Some of those won`t need a FB discussion.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #54
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It may not be true of all boats but my understanding is, the FB helm gives a view of all extremities of the boat and is a big plus for docking.

Even that depend on which boats, which configurations. A typical "motor yacht" (aft cabin, with flybridge) often places the FB helm very far forward, with obstructions so the aft corners aren't visible. Ditto with a typical "sport bridge" or "sedan bridge" (of the Sea Ray, etc. varieties... where the bridge is extended aft for additional seating... and often impaired vision aft.

Very much different from most sportfish or "convertible" designs, where the helm is usually placed all the way aft on the bridge and all four "corners" of the boat are easily visible.

-Chris
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #55
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Maybe I should consider adding a fan or 2 to push air across the inside of the glass...

Fans aside, anyone here have feedback on how effective the heated windows are, such as used in commercial vessels, in controlling inside condensation?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #56
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Fans aside, anyone here have feedback on how effective the heated windows are, such as used in commercial vessels, in controlling inside condensation?
As long as the glass can be warmed above the dew point, they should be very effective. Much like the rear defroster on a car window.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #57
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandbanksbayfield View Post
I have a Grand Banks 32, second year of ownership. The flybridge is open, but has a wonderful wind deflector. I love it for docking if I have a crew below to deal with the lines, otherwise I use the lower helm. The flybridge is wonderful in good weather and you can see other boats much better in high-traffic areas, but when seas are rough and it is weathering up, we operate downstairs. Another consideration: if you get hurt, or have any mobility impairments, your flybridge with be a PITA, or knees or hips. Older folks need to be able to steer close to the head and the coffee pot. GET BOTH if you can.
A good point. My wife has a type of neurological leg paralysis, that has become much worse in the last few years. She could easily climb to our flybridge when two years ago, but struggles to do it now. If that was all we had, I would be piloting alone from now on.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #58

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
Flybridge

My last four boats were without flybridges, current boat has dual stations, use the flybridge primarily for evening cocktails, much prefer being out of sun, wind, as well as having heat or a/c as needed.

If I want to go outside underway, I go outside. I have no desire to be exposed for the entire voyage, and I cannot stand Isenglas or what you call clears, for vision or for maintenance.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
As long as the glass can be warmed above the dew point, they should be very effective. Much like the rear defroster on a car window.

Well the ones I’ve seen have the heater wire along the perimeter of the glass. Was wondering is anyone has experience with them to know how effective they are keeping the center of the pane clear
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
... much prefer being out of sun, wind, as well as having heat or a/c as needed.

If I want to go outside underway, I go outside. I have no desire to be exposed for the entire voyage

Agree with you. After 13 hours at the helm of my buddy’s express cruiser last weekend, even I’m surprised at how incredibly worn out and ugly I look in the last photo of the night.

Glad I’m not a sail-boater!