fly bridge opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Hello all
I was wondering about thought on flybridges. I am in the pacific northwest so more rain then sun. F
Do you find people use or not use the flybridge. If you don't have one would you? and if you do do you wish it wasn't there.
It seems to me that logically it would be handy and present good views but in reality is that an item that should be on my must have list?
Thanks
Rod

Personally, I only use my FB when stopped at anchor or tied to a dock.

It is certainly nice to have. My last boat had only one helm -- on the flybridge. My current boat, which was semi-custom so I had a choice between FB only, PH only, or both, and went with both. From my last boat, I learned that I didn't want FB only, as the helmsman is usually up there at night, cold and lonely. And from a previous express style boat with only a spotting tower (no controls) up top, I learned that during the day, when the weather is nice, up top is the place to be. There is also a tower (with full controls and electronics, though limited to one screen) on this boat, so it turns out that FB gets the least use, PH the most (since we typically run through the night), and the tower is the place to be on nice days (because of its height, the view is amazing from up there). I have had this boat in the PNW, and my experience was the same, though there were more days during which weather made the PH the best place to be. So, everything else being equal, a FB is great, but equipping it with electronics will significantly increase your electronics investment.

Some one will answer yes to every one of your question and some one will answer no to every one as well.

There is no right answer, just trade offs. The advantages of not having a flybridge are less cost, less wind age, less potential for rain leaks.

The advantages of having a flybridge are great visibility, more lounge area, more storage space.

The advantages of having a covered flybridge is less potential for rain leaks, usable almost year round, cleaner but you give up a lot of the great visibility.

I have had both an uncovered and covered flybridge in the PNW. My best day was on an uncovered flybridge but I get 10 times more good days on a covered flybridge.

I used to love boating at 6am wrapped in my foul weather gear with the world’s most awesome 360 degree view. Now I love boating at 6am in a t-shirt and shorts, yes my view is a bit hazy through my vinyl windscreen but as I said, it’s all trade offs.

Last edited:
I had a boat with flying bridge but pilotted 90% from below. It was useful when backing into a slip. Adds a lot of costs in maintenance on the bimini and its enclosure (if so equipped or desired), extra steering and engine controls, and navigation instruments. My current boat has no FB, and I prefer it that way.

Have no use for one. Closest boating friends with flybridges use them for storage or watching the fireworks at anchor. Others seem to enjoy them.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 122
Personally, a flybridge was on my do not want list. I wanted to minimize any windage for one thing.

As you are aware, (and depending where you do your boating, for example, the Broughtons) it can be wet and sometimes cool in the PNW. In a seaway, you will experience more motion up there, as well, a longer trip to the head, or to get food, coffee, etc. and maybe some isolation from other crew members at times. As we age, depending on the exact access, it may get more difficult to get up there, especially if there are waves. Plus, as MYTraveler stated, the increased cost of the added electronics, and possible other items like bimini's, etc.

The bonus of having a flybridge is on nice days with fairly calm waters the visibility would be great, and if you are a sun lover that could be good as well. (Personally I try to avoid the sun). Also, especially in the evenings at anchor, it could give a good vantage point.
It really depends on how you see yourself boating (needs and wants) and whether or not the added expenses mean anything to you.
Good friends of ours own a Kadey Krogen 52 with flybridge, and they never use it, and basically would rather not have one. Different strokes kind of thing I guess.

I use the flybridge 90% of the time when underway and when backing into a slip for visibility reasons. I will use the lower station when it is cold out or in a very heavy rain because i have windshield wipers below and none on the flybridge.
john

One does not need a flybridge to enjoy outdoors.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 105
Some one will answer yes to every one of your question and some one will answer no to every one as well.

There is no right answer, just trade offs. The advantages of not having a flybridge are less cost, less wind age, less potential for rain leaks.

The advantages of having a flybridge are great visibility, more lounge area, more storage space.

The advantages of having a covered flybridge is less potential for rain leaks, usable almost year round, cleaner but you give up a lot of the great visibility.

I have had both an uncovered and covered flybridge in the PNW. My best day was on an uncovered flybridge but I get 10 times more good days on a covered flybridge.

I used to love boating at 6am wrapped in my foul weather gear with the world’s most awesome 360 degree view. Now I love boating at 6am in a t-shirt and shorts, yes my view is a bit hazy through my vinyl windscreen but as I said, it’s all trade offs.

Exactly spot on. We are 80/20 flybridge/lower helm usage.

We enjoyed an open flybridge for 4 years, and then chose to enclose. While I did enjoy the open views, I vividly remember one summer where it was so hot in the open sun that I was the only one above- everyone else has retreated to the shaded areas of the boat.

The enclosed flybridge makes the boat truly multi-mission and year round usable.

We chartered a few boats for week or two trips in the PNW. Used the flying bridge 90% of the time. Ditto in the various boats we chartered for multi-day use in California. Way back when our first boat was a Tollycraft 32' flying bridge sedan in Seattle. We also used the FB almost 80% of the time except when docking, and we boated year around. Pretty much the same here on the east coast full time cruising in our old Hatteras 56MY. A big part of boating for us is enjoying the out of doors and observing the nature around us. Being cooped up in a pilot house only appeals when the weather is really bad.

My advice is to charter a few boats and see what works for you. Us, we wouldn't have a serious cruising boat without a good FB.

Last edited:
like the twins v single debate.
Maybe those with twins prefer FB and those with a single don't?

... Us, we wouldn't have a serious cruising boat without a good FB.

Most boat purchasers will agree with you, as well as having two engines in addition of a flybridge with one or two helms.. .. But I'm not one of them. We all have a choice.

When we were recently looking for a boat in the PNW, a flybridge helm was on the MUST HAVE list. We had chartered boats with upper helms before in the PNW and had operated the boat about 50/50 from the lower and upper helms. Sunny days up here are beautiful -- and common enough -- that we really wanted to be outside while operating.

Now that we have the boat, it turns out that we operate from the FB less than we had imagined we would. It's hard to say why; perhaps it's just the convenience of having the pilothouse arranged "just so."

Nonetheless, even though we operate about 75% from the lower helm, FB would still be on my MUST HAVE list. As others have noted, it's a great plan to lounge, gather, dine, cook, read, relax, enjoy the view when you're on a dock, at anchor, or on a mooring. It's also a great place to accommodate additional storage. I understand that there are boat owners who clearly do not want a FB, but I would not own a boat without one.

:hide:No Comment other than - What's a flybridge? :hide:
I don't think I even get a vote. :angel:

Last edited:
Well we drive 100% on the flybridge since we don’t have a lower helm. Didn’t want the lower helm since it takes room from the salon. We have a hardtop on the bridge with a full enclosure that we can access without going out in the weather. That was on our must have list.

This is about as close to outdoors in my pilot house sans flybridge while avoiding radiation. Usually have the entire pilothouse door or the bottom half of the Dutch pilothouse closed to keep comfortable. Appreciating living in a non-tropical climate.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Good thing you opted for the tinting on that skylight!

For me, docking doesn't require taking a ladder or stairs. Great to have the pilothouse at the same level as the deck which is close to floating-dock level. :dance::dance:

I have both but almost exclusively use the lower helm.

THat's where the coffee is, the food is and in the rain, as you noted you are out of the rain which we get plenty of.

I realized years ago I could afford to outfit ONE station with decent electronics, not two so all of it is at the lower station and it is all weather protected.

I will admit that in a tight moorage spot i will sometime use the bridge but even that is needed very seldom.

You can get canvas enclosures and they can be done successfully but they are not cheap.
Extra storage can be handled with a decent weatherproof storage box or two.

I also learned that in rough water I do not want to be up there. THe pitching and rolling is accentuated enough to be very uncomfortable. Boat motion can be bad enough at the lower station, I don't need to be up top.
One thing that settled our thinking is we used to winter boat, dealing with the snow and ice and crappy weather. We were very comfortable below.
Others with only a bridge would not go period.

I also know people who are exactly the opposite, love the bridge and would not have a boat without.

THere is more but enough is enough. It is quite a personal choice.

One thing I will suggest is you look at any boat VERY HARD that you are considering for visibility from the inside. Many boats have absolutely miserable visibility from inside. If you go for one of those then you may have NO choice of which helm to use, you will be stuck.

The boats that do have only bridge control successfully are usually larger vessels than my 32 or our friends 36's.

Last edited:
Our FB is covered and enclosed. We drive from there 100%. Visibility from the PH sucks so the weather would have to be really bad to get me to drive from there. If it is that bad we will just stay where we are and wait for better weather.

About 99% of the time we are on our F.B. Whether driving or riding or docking. Only time we come inside is when it gets dark , rainey or the bugs are out.

In the PNW I would recommend at least a bimini.

pete

Willard 36 Sedan with flybridge. Day trips 100% flybridge. Docking - 100%, flybridge. Long passages - 80% lower helm. Visibility is not great from lower helm so when running with instruments, it's lower helm time.

This is about as close to outdoors in my pilot house sans flybridge while avoiding radiation. Usually have the entire pilothouse door or the bottom half of the Dutch pilothouse closed to keep comfortable. Appreciating living in a non-tropical climate.

Same here.

Pilothouse door with immediate access to wide side deck right at midship cleat. Rather have the top of the deckhouse clean for 1400W of solar, dinghy, and 11.5ft bridge clearance if needed.

Oh. Tiny set of twins BTW.....

Attachments

• 20200316_GulfCruisingCaptain (Medium).jpg
    20200316_GulfCruisingCaptain (Medium).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 60
Anybody know what a "stand or sit on the saloon roof with steering & controls on the pilothouse roof" arrangement is called?

Transpac Eagle 40's are made like that. Here's one:

MV Mischief | Cruising in an Eagle 40

That would be my choice...best of both worlds.

Have both and the FB is nice for docking and blue-bird days. I run the boat 80% from the lower helm. Warmer, dryer, less roll. Probably has a tie-in with age (?)

Back
Top Bottom