fly bridge opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
West of Antioch, it is not often needed to open both port and starboard pilothouse doors for fresh/comfortable air. Often it is just a single door or just the upper half of one of the Dutch doors.

Attachments

• coot with sails.JPG
    coot with sails.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Wow, this is kinda like asking about anchors :hide: We are not the PNW, so my vote won't count. But we have both - fully inclosed FB, and lower helm. So far 100% from FB - no rear view from our lower helm. To each his own.

Live on the flyu

We cruise from the Bahamas to Canada. Docking, entering and leaving in a narrow channel, ICW and sunny warm days I am there. Rain, wind and freezing temperatures force me into the pilot house.

My vision is unobstructed and I can work on my tan if I wish. I can have my own music and access to the deck refrigerator for a cold drink.

We rarely use the FB, but when we do we absolutely love it. On a perfect day its magic.

I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Flybridge

Our Beneteau ST 42 has a helm station down below and also on the Flybridge. This was originally open with a Bimini. Some years ago we had a solid hardtop fitted which has made a huge difference and increased the living area substantially. We use this for lounging when at anchor, entertaining, drinks and meals. I very rarely helm from up top as it feels like trying to drive a double-decker bus from upstairs. Also as a former yachtie I feel more comfortable standing behind a conventional wheel, particularly in confined waters.

Don't have a choice. The only helm is on the flying bridge. But I live in Florida. Works like a charm.
Me too but always driving from the bridge is by design. Salon station was sacrificed for a dinette which we use daily. Besides, the view from the salon forward windows is crummy, especially when the dinghy is on the bow. All electronics is on the bridge and we use a command mic for communicating with the galley & salon.

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Bridge View.jpg
    Bridge View.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Flybridge.jpg
    Flybridge.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Renee on Flybridge.jpg
    Renee on Flybridge.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 24
Me too but always driving from the bridge is by design. Salon station was sacrificed for a dinette which we use daily. Besides, the view from the salon forward windows is crummy, especially when the dinghy is on the bow. All electronics is on the bridge and we use a command mic for communicating with the galley & salon.

There have been situations when the wind was perpendicular to the dock toward boats on a downwind dock when there would never be enough time to move from a flybridge to the deck in order to secure lines by myself. Tough enough when there were only three horizontal steps from my deck-high pilothouse!!

Flybridge?

If you have to choose one or the other, I think the lower helm station is best all around. Get both if possible. The FB is great in marinas, gets you away from engine noise, and has the nice view. If you are an older boater, definitely have a steering station downstairs. Any hip or knee problems will make it impossible or miserable to use a flybridge very much.

Back
Top Bottom