Fly bridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PSS: Mark - 1/2" thick wheelhouse/cabin top steel... really... think about it!

What do I know? :blush: The Coot's builder told me today the pilothouse roof is made of cored fiberglass. And here I thought the boat's exterior was all steel.

What do I know? :blush: The Coot's builder told me today the pilothouse roof is made of cored fiberglass. And here I thought the boat's exterior was all steel.

Mark

It's your love for and your enjoyment with the high quality, well built Coot that counts. Till you see build-out specs or pick the builder's mind (like you just did) it's near impossible to really know what construction practices or materials were used in some of the different portions of any boat's parts. Looks can be deceiving. I still run into parts and parcels on our Tolly where I say... Really, so that's what they did?? Hadn’t realized that before! :confused:

Sail On, Mark - - > Sail ON! :dance: - Art :popcorn:

PS: Keep the picts coming!!

Last edited:
The Coot has more steel in it than an Iowa Class. Of course the way you guys shoot at Mark he needs it. Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead. (Adm. Farragut in Mobile Bay) Sail on Mark, and keep posting pictures.:thumb:

I'll post one of my favorites for you.

img_110148_0_70880b3601794892293c2cc1a593763c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your support. Damn the barbs and full ahead!

img_110152_0_c3bbc07168d8263919bd3d7ca3efbb6a.jpg

Perla agrees!

img_110164_0_596194a0812644834abe960bd4ac9351.jpg

Mark thinking about adding a flying bridge.
img_110166_0_5ebe0a8287755a3a544f7dbc73900a62.jpg

Not in my lifetime! :rolleyes:

Well said, Don! More pics please, Mark.

For those tired of pictures of Mark's Coot, here's a movie!

(click the image for view the video)

Gotcha, Al.

img_110173_0_c8c15981658ce9eac70dade632a6e78c.jpg

Actually Mark..that must be kinda fun, having sails to muck around with - and steady the boat too no doubt, but if you get sick of it you can just say bugger it, I'm going in, furl and forget the things, and just drive with the engine from the helm.

"The Coot's builder told me today the pilothouse roof is made of cored fiberglass."

Cored? With what one wonders considering the number of fittings and attachment points up there.

And just think... Marin is pondering the idea that deleting some his 7000+ posts that are more than a year old would cure his connection problems with TF. Yet, Mark has half the number of posts, but probably accounts for 5-10 times the disc space on the server. :ermm:

:D:D:D:D

(sorry Marin... couldn't resist)

1/2" steel of course.

Don - What a Great Idea! 1/2 steel core wrapped in FG. Guaranteed to never bend and no rot ever. Bit o' rust streaks tho when FG flex-cracks eventually appear due to metal expansions/constrictions from summer heat and winter cools. But, nothing some Ajax, gel coat, and paint can't make like new. Also, carbide drill bits and ez-thread taps for fine thread bolts mean that Mark could permanently fasten leather covered easy chair recliners up top. Heck... no Fly Bridge ever required! I’m sure he’d supply picts of himself, wife, and friends well seated with drinks in hand and shade-brellas overhead. Someone with photo-shop could make a cool rendition by using parts of Mark’s already printed picts. LOL :rofl:

Mark your love of boating and use with the Coot, as well as the great picts you provide, are one of the energies that keep this forum fun! Thanks for all you do!

Last edited:
With 175++ posts already, just deleting this thread should free up significant space. I'd say that comments on the original question/issue have been long exhausted, and the moderators should, at least, move it to "off-topic" .:horse:

With 175++ posts already, just deleting this thread should free up significant space. I'd say that comments on the original question/issue have been long exhausted, and the moderators should, at least, move it to "off-topic" .:horse:
Spoil Sport! :lol:

And just think... Marin is pondering ... Yet, Mark has half the number of posts, but probably accounts for 5-10 times the disc space on the server. QUOTE]

You know the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words, well maybe not in bandwidth but it might be a measure of the need to publish in some form or another ...

Statistically, both have nearly identical posting rates, Marine has about 4.1 ppdom (not the Indian food, posts per day of membership) while Mark is gaining quickly with 3.98 but as Gonzo pointed out, Mark is the all time leader in bandwidth and data storage consumption.

At least when Marin posts, he contributes ideas and content rather than just putting another billboard along the waterway that more closely resembles the product of the algorithms that generate the advertising that clutters the sideboards of this site - but, unfortunately, Adblocker doesn't have a version for eliminating gratuitous photos yet.

I am just glad I don't pay per byte to look at the stuff.

And just think... Marin is pondering the idea that deleting some his 7000+ posts that are more than a year old would cure his connection problems with TF. Yet, Mark has half the number of posts, but probably accounts for 5-10 times the disc space on the server. :ermm:

:D:D:D:D

(sorry Marin... couldn't resist)

No problem. And for the record I'd still like to see my previous posts and photos removed. In my editor's role I hate seeing server space taken up by outdated, no-longer-needed crap. I love it at work when I've finished producing a project, which in our organization includes the editing, to walk into our engineer's office and tell him that he can "blow the Air India (or whatever) project away." Which in our group means clear off the workspace assigned to that project on our central media server.

Last edited:
I can understand needing to remove the Terabytes of raw video from your highspeed storage servers to make room for your next video project. I'm sure the information is retained somewhere (backup tapes?) if the customer comes back, and wants an edit.

For me, removing you old posts is akin to removing all but the last maintenance log entry from the Beaver.

I can understand needing to remove the Terabytes of raw video from your highspeed storage servers to make room for your next video project. I'm sure the information is retained somewhere (backup tapes?) if the customer comes back, and wants an edit.

For me, removing you old posts is akin to removing all but the last maintenance log entry from the Beaver.

No, we don't back up the media when we blow a job away unless there is a high liklihood of needing to do revisions later which is very, very rare. The original camera tapes are retained, of course, and the stuff we shoot today on our new card cameras-- a least the "keeper" footage--- is copied off to digital tape for long term storage. But other than a master tape copy we almost never back up our edit files when we are done with the job.

And I don't agree that removing all but say the last month of so of my posts is going to make a lick of difference to value of this forum. I'm talking about my posts, not anybody else's. Posts that give specific data about stuff, be it a boat or an engine or a radio or whatever, might have some value to someone looking for information about that subject.

But 99.99999999 percent of my posts are just conversational. No data, no specs, nothing concrete that anyone would be searching for in the future. It's timely and (I hope) relevant to the immediate conversation, but like a conversation on a dock, it's relevant only at the time of the conversation.

Plus in my case it's almost all just opinion, and opinion based on a very narrow experience in boating. I know our Arima and our Grand Banks pretty well now. But I'm not like Rick B whose career is built on dealing with all manner of vessels and vessel systems all over the world. Or Carl (Delfin) who I gather has been boating in all manner of boats in all manner of situations for a long time. Or Bob Lowe over on the GB owners forum who's a former shipwright and for years owned and managed a boatyard that specialized in doing virtually anything and everything having to do with Grand Banks (and other) boats, wood and glass.

So as far as I'm concerned, with the possible and perhaps doubtful exception of my most recent material, the value of the server space occupied by my past posts far exceeds the value of the ones and zeros currently occupying it.

If I could figure out a way to delete them myself I'd do it. (I've got someone working on that for me:)) But what I'd love to see is either the ability to set a "life" of one's posts in their UserCP section or a non-expiring "edit" function so that members could go back in time if they wished to and delete at least the text and photo content.

Last edited:
"The Coot's builder told me today the pilothouse roof is made of cored fiberglass."

Cored? With what one wonders considering the number of fittings and attachment points up there.

The inner/lower stays are attached to steel straps (passing through the roof) connected to the steel pilothouse sides. The mast, under compression, stands on a tabernacle adjacent to the supporting rear wall of the pilothouse.

img_110296_0_e3c3b0b17afdf1ff3cff6f8e9d785887.jpg

Last edited:
Actually Mark..that must be kinda fun, having sails to muck around with - and steady the boat too no doubt, but if you get sick of it you can just say bugger it, I'm going in, furl and forget the things, and just drive with the engine from the helm.

That's the idea.

It's the accumulation of knowledge and experience from the past and the active participation in the present that makes a website like this so interesting and valuable. I'm sure the database of posts from the past and current member participation is what made this website so attractive for purchase by Andy.

If we were to follow the advice from disgruntled members who suggest Member A should not post this or Member B needs his posts deleted, the value and usefulness of this community would be diminished. I'd rather see a community where we are all free to post what is in our interest and knowledge base without the offending comments from the peanut gallery who do not share our interests or perspective.

The FB is even OK w me on boats w enough stability and used w good judgement and/or moderation. And I can definitely see why one would want one in southern waters but viewing them as a necessity is over the top. And what did people do before the FB? They went boating and probably had just as much fun as we do w a bit extra to a lot of extra painting thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom