Florida marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone's life is made difficult by what is going on, starting the Covid 19. Cruisers are a small part of it. I don't know any one not impacted. I'm impacted as a businessman, as a resident of South Florida, up to 614 cases, over half of those in the state and an update in 30 minutes, but those working in our grocery stores are the ones having a really challenge, still not as bad though as the medical professionals. They're the ones at significant risk and their lives disrupted in so many ways.

One other group of impacted persons I think of is family members of those with Covid 19 who can't go with them to the Hospital, can't visit, can't spend the night with them. And in some cases there have been deaths and even immediate family couldn't go to the funeral, had to do that online.

While it's rare at this point, there have also been those who lost multiple family members to Covid 19.

Oh, and marinas in Broward County are not shut down, only the city owned Marinas.
I didn't realize city owned marinas in even Broward County are closed. I don't know how many are city owned, but I was unaware of closures at all in Broward County. That does make it worse than I described above. Palm Beach to their north, Miami-Dade to the their south, and Morgan County even farther south issued orders to close them all. I thought Broward remained the exception, but I guess not entirely. Thanks for the update, BandB. I'm sorry to hear that, though.

One other group of impacted persons I think of is family members of those with Covid 19 who can't go with them to the Hospital, can't visit, can't spend the night with them. And in some cases there have been deaths and even immediate family couldn't go to the funeral, had to do that online.

This has to be extremely rough.

When my dad passed three years ago after dealing with meslothioma, at least Mom, my sister and I, were there for his last couple of days. I can't imagine the helplessness many families must be going through today under the current circumstances.

Jim

Disgraceful? Might want to know some more facts as it could have been a poor report of the incident, a misunderstanding on both/either side, or if on the money, the dock holders may have been just trying to attain what they were responsible for....closed private property.

PS.....I didn't see in the article where anyone yelled anything.
Yes, it was disgraceful. That's the perfect word. In full disclosure, I was over there and watched it happen. It was a grand display of ignorance, and sad to see boaters treat another that way. It wasn't a big incident, but just one more little glimpse into how some people are unable to cope even at this early state.

As to the article, you must not have read it because it had nothing to do with the marina incident. It was about the municipality that is kicking renters out of their homes even though they have a lease. It was discussed above as another example of decision makers losing their minds and doing harm, much like the marina closures. Fortunately, they are getting some backlash, as they should. That one will likely get ugly if they do not pull it back in.

I have no dog in that fight (the city kicking out the renters of the homes). I am just finding it fascinating how panic-stricken and stupid some (not all.... just some) of the "leaders" are acting in smaller governments. In that case above, their explanation is laughable if it were not such a serious issue. Go to their site. It is worth the read. We aren't even in the battle yet. Things have really not even started to get messy. If they are cracking now, it is not a good sign when they are faced with real difficulty, which will likely come over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
JLD and BandB, you are hitting the nail on the head. A friend just lost his dad. He was literally 1 mile away in a nursing home for about 5 days, but they could not visit. From what I understand, they are going to let as many as 10 family members attend a funeral service.

Obviously they understood why they could not visit a nursing home, but what a tough thing to go through.

Where the hell is Morgan County? I’ve lived in Florida for almost 75 years and never heard of it. I need to check it out.

Yes, it was disgraceful. That's the perfect word. In full disclosure, I was over there and watched it happen. It was a grand display of ignorance, and sad to see boaters treat another that way. It wasn't a big incident, but just one more little glimpse into how some people are unable to cope even at this early state.

As to the article, you must not have read it because it had nothing to do with the marina incident. It was about the municipality that is kicking renters out of their homes even though they have a lease. It was discussed above as another example of decision makers losing their minds and doing harm, much like the marina closures. Fortunately, they are getting some backlash, as they should. That one will likely get ugly if they do not pull it back in.

I have no dog in that fight (the city kicking out the renters of the homes). I am just finding it fascinating how panic-stricken and stupid some (not all.... just some) of the "leaders" are acting in smaller governments. In that case above, their explanation is laughable if it were not such a serious issue. Go to their site. It is worth the read. We aren't even in the battle yet. Things have really not even started to get messy. If they are cracking now, it is not a good sign when they are faced with real difficulty, which will likely come over the next few weeks.

Well...I have had enough.

Good luck with your travels and trials.

I am glad I see the world a different way.

Monroe County I know, had a house on a deep water canal years ago. Morgan threw me a loop.

Scott I agree. Honor is one of the most important things we can possess.

I didn't realize city owned marinas in even Broward County are closed. I don't know how many are city owned, but I was unaware of closures at all in Broward County. That does make it worse than I described above. Palm Beach to their north, Miami-Dade to the their south, and Morgan County even farther south issued orders to close them all. I thought Broward remained the exception, but I guess not entirely. Thanks for the update, BandB. I'm sorry to hear that, though.

Just three marinas in Broward are city owned and they're not locked down by ordinance, just by the city not operating them now.

"It was discussed above as another example of decision makers losing their minds and doing harm,........."#97

"Power corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutly." Nothing new,

Yes, Monroe County. Thanks for the correction, High Wire. I appreciate you clearing that up. BigsFish, I apologize for the confusion. It was my error. Morgan County is a place we have spent a lot of time in, but it is in Lake of the Ozarks, another place we love so much and have boated on a lot. I typed Monroe the first few times, but then "Morgan" crept in out of habit and familiarity from our years at LOTO. Sorry about that.

Good news/Bad news

While in "correction" mode, I should clear this one up, too. Unfortunately Miami-Dade did order all marinas to close. We had it wrong above when we said they were open. That's the bad news.

Here is the good news, and I think this sets Miami-Dade apart in a good way compared to other counties. Realizing their error, Miami-Dade amended that order by making some VERY GOOD exceptions that I think might help boaters stuck in bad situations.

I'll paraphrase to keep it short, but it is emergency order 06-20 amendment 3. The amendment allows marinas to provide limited service for commercial fishing, government,enforcement, etc. More relevant to this thread is the amendment allows the marinas to provide services to accommodate persons living aboard their vessels, accommodate those returning to the US (very important as boaters must leave the Bahamas due to their new directives), and to allow for removing vessels from the water, perform emergency maintenance on the vessel or the marina, fueling stations, and marine supply services. Again, that was just paraphrasing.

I'm not sure that would allow a boater to come in and get a slip if they wanted one. If they have empty slips I would hope they could fill them, but I am not sure they would/could. I would think the need for water, provisions, medicine, or fuel could at least be accommodated, and certainly necessary maintenance could be addressed. It's a start, and I'm glad to read about it.

Last edited:
I would interpret that as maybe being able to provide a slip, but definitely being able to provide a spot to land a dinghy to get provisions and being able to sell fuel.

I would interpret that as maybe being able to provide a slip, but definitely being able to provide a spot to land a dinghy to get provisions and being able to sell fuel.
I think so too, and I most certainly hope so. Arguments could be made either way, but I would take it the way you do. It is at least hope for those that need a place to land for a bit.

Just read that Ft Pierce municipal marina is closing. Any local SITREPs?

We're a bit south and were restricted in Riviera Beach City Marina, BUT...that has changed, and only the commercial boats like all the dive operators are restricted to port.

Big question though, is what's going on further south. Biscayne area is supposedly closed, and not certain if we can even anchor out there.

Meanwhile, no one's answering their phones to get answers.

Hmmm, Urber you stores to a dock?
Publix will deliver food, I guess that includes to a dock... pick them up and keep moving afterwards.

Harbor town Marina still has diesel at $2.34 I think and 10 dollar pump outs

Harbor town Marina still has diesel at $2.34 I think and 10 dollar pump outs

Hmmm $10 for a pump out? Depending upon your boat, would be cheaper to go out 4 miles, pump out, come back in and take on fuel.

I keep my Mainship 40 at the FP City Marina. Marina is closed to any in coming vessel. Slip holders are fine. Fla. Gov DeSantis declared all marinas closed along with beaches and basically any place a visitor from out of State would want to be. Sadly, the states biggest industry is out of business until further notice.....I am guessing middle of June!:banghead:

Good God.

Just got out of the Jacuzzi and cleared away the empty wine bottle, to find this.

Really?

There is a great saying in Ireland that is pretty self-explanatory.

Folks - wind yer necks in!

And who’s stopping everybody from going boating? Hint: it starts with a G and ends with a T. My last post, I promise.

Hi I went boating the other day and passed several cops, I am in Fort Lauderdale though. We anchored up off of Hillsborough Inlet and there were other boats there as well; there were not any issues. However, you cannot use any of the boat ramps around here the police are there. There was a another city car, not police at a small boat ramp too

Hi I went boating the other day and passed several cops, I am in Fort Lauderdale though. We anchored up off of Hillsborough Inlet and there were other boats there as well; there were not any issues. However, you cannot use any of the boat ramps around here the police are there. There was a another city car, not police at a small boat ramp too

All escape routes are closed and the bridges are locked down to prevent escape ????
Good thing I dont need a raised bridge to escape. SMIRK
"Hello Cuba, got room? I will bring a boat load of disposable diapers."

Pretty much the same here in the South of France, all canals closed which blocked our access to the Med, there was no point in going to Italy or Spain as both countries are far much worse off than we are. Even so all marina's along the coast are closed to new arrivals.
Plenty of food/wine available in the supermarkets and being France, fresh bread everyday.
During this lockdown only essential journey's are permitted, food, medicine authorised work etc, we're allowed 1 hours exercise (that includes dog walkers) within 1 kilometre of our berth and have to have a paper stating what were out and about for, the fine for a breach is up to 2,000 Euro's.
To be honest lots of folks were ripping the ass out of it, going to the beach, and walking along the canal with baby strollers was just as busy as any summer Sunday afternoon so they had to bring some sort of sense into the situation.

Look on the good side :D all those '5 minute' jobs around the boat are getting done to keep us occupied.
'Snow Mouse' is shining like a new shilling right from the cooker to the ventilators, the engine's cleaned and lacquered and looks better than when it came off the production line :)

Last edited:
If I was committed to stay in a place "under a state of emergency " ....I might cruise canals looking for empty docks,and someone in their backyard with a neighborly attitude.

Yes I know the waterways are technically closed...I bet if you told a water cop the situation, and he saw a lone figure in a dingy, he just might ask but not bother you too much....
Agreed. Maybe anchor politely and go from there. You can get friendly with acceptable social hygiene gradually.

All good here in Toronto as far as I can tell. I'm happily self quarantined on my boat.

Back
Top Bottom