Florida ICW Poop Patrol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really Ted....who says we have started a slow "take over"?? First the Geese, then the Ducks, maybe then the River Otters.......
One of the candidates said she was going to give them health care and citizenship. Something about no honker left behind.

The year round resident geese have become a real problem on Maryland's eastern shore.

Ted

The prospect of more NDZs was why I went to Incinolet toilets. No holding tank, looking for pump outs, no plumbing, and no trouble with the CG. And no taking apart a failed marine toilet full of crap. My 2 toilets, away from the dock usually run on the inverter.

I just went the big holding tank route. Current tank is 70 gallons. If I'd gone with a custom tank instead of something off the shelf and possibly modified the tank mounts, I could have fit somewhere in the 90 - 100 gallon range. But the 70 gal is plenty big. With 2 of us aboard, I'd say we could easily go 2 weeks before even thinking about a pumpout.

Unfortunately that argument didn't prevent another group of enviro-zealot bullies from succeeding in making Puget Sound an unneeded NDZ.

Yet the local government (King County) has dumped millions of gallons a raw sewage into The Sound in the last few years without concern. Ah, but “government” is exempt...especially when run for decades by one party rule.

Yet the local government (King County) has dumped millions of gallons a raw sewage into The Sound in the last few years without concern. Ah, but “government” is exempt...especially when run for decades by one party rule.

Atlanta thought they too were exempt. The learned differently when the Feds got involved.

One way to solve the problem it to instruct they put their drinking water intake down stream of their sanitary discharge.

Last edited:
There was a article awhile back about how Seattle's homeless "problem" is creating a serious enviro issue due to the homeless crapping where they may and it washing off into the sound.. I would look it up but i don't give a crap!
I would much rather deal with fido poo vs that of some sick drug addict.
When its all said and done I bet the total actual marine discharge is a drop in the bucket vs. dogs and homeless runoff.
HOLLYWOOD
Have you been to Seattle lately? That info is spot on. But again...one party rule.

Atlanta thought they too were exempt. The learned differently.
One way to solve the problem it to instruct they put their drinking water intake down stream of their sanitary discharge.
Seattle is a s#*thole...

The city/county get their drinking water from a river which is sourced from the mountains in SE King County. My point is, they are hypocrites who claim to “love” the environment...but only as long as they can wield it as a weapon or a source of revenue.

Seattle is a s#*thole...

The city/county get their drinking water from a river which is sourced from the mountains in SE King County. My point is, they are hypocrites who claim to “love” the environment...but only as long as they can wield it as a weapon or a source of revenue.

Atlanta gets their water from the Chattahoochee River and also discharges their sanitary into the same river but down stream of their water inlet.
When the plant has trouble.... cities down stream have trouble too.

Okay, I apologize for the thread drift and approaching political condemnation

As far as municipalities being "fined" - Cities don't get fined. The taxpayers who live there do.

There generally is no payback for politicos in maintaining infrastructure. They want to spend tax dollars on free stuff that ingratiates uninformed voters to them. Every public utility I've encountered barely does breakdown maintenance. Preventative maintenance is a unicorn.

There is, from a political perspective, zero constituency for old rich guys with boats. And we must be rich or we wouldn't have a "yacht".

Here in Stuart ,fl the county has a free (no tip) pump out boat, so easy to request a pump by email or phone. Why wouldn't boaters here use it. There
is a movement to clean up florida waters and finally it is starting to happen...

Yeah. I've emailed and called them at least 5 times in the last year for pump outs. They have never responded or showed up. The closest pump out to me is a 4o minute run so it's a bit of a pain, but I do it.

Greetings,
Perhaps someone with too much time on their hands and a few spare $$ can launch a lawsuit on behalf of the local sea creatures against Vero Beach the next time the town has an "oopsie" with their sewage or get the ASPCA involved, with any settlement going to them.

Doesn't matter. Portland and Vancouver (WA) pour millions of gallons into the Columbia. If they are fined, it is insignificant.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/201...YbKKcPakW6JshqAu5RaZj2baNreT9-vvSNi2xpu2g3YOM

I totally agree with you, if Vero Beach has an sewage spill, treated or untreated. The EPA should should fine the City a SIGNIFICANT and escalating amount.

The City of Atlanta made a decision to pay the fines rather than repair their sewage system. Seems the fines were less than the cost of repairing their system. Plus the cities have insurance to cover these spills.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. The only problem I can see with the EPA approach is that the $$ stays in the government loop. EPA, federal govt agency takes the $$, puts it in the federal "pot" and if the offender applies to the feds for funding for something it basically gets that $$ back. Same pair of pants, different pockets. Sure, the $$ may not get applied to sewage control but juggling funds is a skill practiced by most jurisdictions.

Now, IF those $$ disappear into private hands, it's out of the loop and lost. That's why I suggested the ASPCA, just as an example. As I mentioned, if some individual started a non profit for the protection of sea anemones, say, they might be able to sue a municipality for polluting/killing those poor Anthozoa.

IF Atlanta or any other place was fined BIG $$, enough times, they would most probably lose insurance. Insurance companies don't like paying out large sums multiple times.

Hmmm Firefly,
How can there be a NDZ if the fish poop in the same area?
I am not advocating we do away with NDZs.
As per sending the money to ASPCA, I have no problem with that IF and only IF the ASPCA stops their fund raising TV commercials and are held accountable for the way they spend the money.

Per the insurance companies... those that insure boats have been know to drop boaters and find another line of insurance.

You all are taken this all wrong. If they are fined, big deal! The tax payer will see an increase in their sewer bill. So they don't really get fined.

You all are taken this all wrong. If they are fined, big deal! The tax payer will see an increase in their sewer bill. So they don't really get fined.
Yep. Corruption is the word you’re looking for...and incompetence.

The water authority never fully explains the rate increase so the public believes the city/county are doing a good job.
I am not picking on Atlanta. I have lived in the Atlanta area for over 30 years and have some knowledge on this subject.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "You all are taken this all wrong." I don't really think so. IF the taxpayer sees a massive increase in taxes, they'll want to know why. A direct connection can readily be made between the non-caring local government (lack of maintenance/upgrading of the sewage works) and the increase in the sewer bill. I don't think the media would miss the opportunity to point out the reason behind the increases and the effectiveness of the current water board.

Great platform for any opponents of the current administration in the next election.

Last edited:
"You all are taken this all wrong. If they are fined, big deal! The tax payer will see an increase in their sewer bill. So they don't really get fined."

Just as when business taxes are raised the company simply passes the increase to the purchasers.

"You all are taken this all wrong. If they are fined, big deal! The tax payer will see an increase in their sewer bill. So they don't really get fined."

Just as when business taxes are raised the company simply passes the increase to the purchasers.

Everything is a 'pass through' to the US tax payers.

Greetings,
I fully agree. The taxpayer foots the bill for everything but how about this scenario....The EPA notifies the worst offenders that big fines will be applied to spills. I have no idea what big might be so let's say 5 million per occurrence ramping up for subsequent infractions.

City X ignores the warning, has a spill due to failed and unsupported infrastructure and is fined the 5 mil'. They not only have to pay the fine but fix the problem potentially doubling or tripling the tax rate. The city residents will NOT be happy.

City Y takes the warning to heart, raises taxes and puts that money into fixing their sewage problems. The residents are NOT happy either but city council can then point to city X and say "See, we've saved you $$ in the long run".

SOMEONE has to be accountable and band-aid solutions or putting the onus on us "rich" yachties just ain't gonna work as a solution. Yes, it will give the GMOTU (great mass of the unwashed) a warm and fuzzy "we're doing something" feeling but as we all know, that's about it.

Ludicrous fines should be a wake up call to those sources of sewage pollution to clean up their acts and it will probably only take one or two incidents to effect changes.

Pie in the sky? Of course and it will never happen....

200.webp

Yes, RT,
"SOMEONE has to be accountable and ....", but they never are. At most, they are fired, given a glowing recommendation and they find a new job at a higher pay.

Fix it properly, patch it, ignore it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom