Float Home capsizes off Valdes Island.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Some “Mental Giant” thought it was a good idea to tow a float home through Porlier Pass during 6 kts of flood! Needless to say it was not successful.

At 55 seconds in you can see “The Boat” that was used to attempt this Herculean feat.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7352124/capsized-float-home-valdes-island-storm/

I’ve gone through Porlier several times and it’s my least desirable choice to enter the inside areas of the Gulf Isles. Reefs all over the place and the tide can set you onto the rocks quite easily.

30 kts of wind today will hammer that home into kindling on those rocks.

Jim

Last edited:
I'll bet they were from the other side of the Rockies.

My wife and I watched some 'Dudes' take a little pop riveted car topper and all their camping gear down to the water line (it was low tide) and then go back up to the parking lot to discuss if they were going to head out or not.

It was late afternoon in the summer, so the wind coming up the channel was blowing about 25 knots. They spent quite a bit of time trying to decide. We didn't tell them about the tide rising into their gear as we felt it would be a good exclamation point to their not having a clue about what they were doing.

They decided not to go, which is a good thing, because they would have been swamped in no time.

There be craziness out there!

Last edited:
Yeah, all one's IQ disappears once east of the rockies.

Yeah, all one's IQ disappears once east of the rockies.

No, just surmising they were lake folk, with no idea what tides are. Even big city BC people would know about tides.

Did you read the article? Did you see the tow boat?

Last edited:
Another one of your grand assumptions...I didn't assume that all people east of the rockies were clueless....

You're going too far.

JD would understand the 'inside joke' and that I was taking an obtuse jab at Albertans. You don't have the local knowledge to get it, so you romped off onto a curmudgeon tangent and vented a hissy fart. Naps take care of that :thumb:

More like IQ disappears with the addition of meth or heroin.

Especially seeing the other post that shows no matter how you thing the USA is F....ed up....you sahare plenty of out problems...

:confused: :ermm:

Backing away slowly, avoiding eye contact...

Last edited:
You're going too far.

JD would understand the 'inside joke' and that I was taking an obtuse jab at Albertans.

How do you get 8 Albertans in a Volkswagen?
Tell 'em it's going to Vancouver.

(running for cover now:dance:)

I read Murray's reference to 'east of the Rockies' as referring to maybe someone from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, not familiar with Porlier Pass with it's high current and rocks. Many of us have seen this scenario before.

Last edited:
Once in awhile we see folks moving their floating homes on the Columbia. Every once in a while one will get loose and float toward the see.

Feel bad for these folks. Probably their dream home.

What? I thought it was interesting. But thread drift:offtopic::speed boat:

Just stepping back and seeing a bigger picture from a mariners viewpoint.

Floating homes, derelict boats....not sure of out on the west coast...but looks a lot like the same problems "mentalities" back east...

Though floating homes are more rare back east as they were more tightly controlled many years ago in the places they were popular.

Floating homes, derelict boats....not sure of out on the west coast...but looks a lot like the same problems "mentalities" back east...

Though floating homes are more rare back east as they were more tightly controlled many years ago in the places they were popular.

We have a lot of problems with derelict boats in WA state. The state has a program to address the problem, but it is poorly funded. Basically, there are more derelict boats than funds available. Of course, new derelicts are being created every year.

The problem is that folks thing buying an old boat, or building a floating shack and anchoring it somewhere is a brilliant cheap way to live an "alternate lifestyle". They don't know any better.

You're going too far.

JD would understand the 'inside joke' and that I was taking an obtuse jab at Albertans. You don't have the local knowledge to get it, so you romped off onto a curmudgeon tangent and vented a hissy fart. Naps take care of that :thumb:

Sadly Murray l think BC has it’s share of clueless clots! I certainly wasn’t thinking of province of origin when I posted this. Just how stupid the individual was.

Not so anymore. This year, the Kelowna virus has put far too many people on the water, who don't know the difference between PFD and PSA.

Ask pretty much any commercial guy on the coast; they've seen one of these in the last 3 months.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/2-people-rescued-after-boat-sinks-off-b-c-gulf-island-1.5072789

For fun, check out Boat Passage on CHS 3477

Soin2la: those of us that have “actually” have gotten out on the water this summer have seen far fewer boats than past years.

Sadly Murray l think BC has it’s share of clueless clots! I certainly wasn’t thinking of province of origin when I posted this. Just how stupid the individual was.

Stupidity has no geographic limitations.

(Sorry...things went off the rails there for a while and has since been tidied up a bit...please go back to the regularly scheduled posting :thumb: )

Last edited:
Soin2la: those of us that have “actually” have gotten out on the water this summer have seen far fewer boats than past years.
:)
North of Discovery, yes; the gulf Islands, maybe not so much. But either way, I didn’t say anything about numbers of boats and fewer boats does not necessarily mean fewer incidents.

Remember this piece?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-coast-guard-covid-19-1.5545405

“So far this year, the coast guard has responded to a "greater number" of search and rescue calls compared to the same time last year.”

Not so anymore. This year, the Kelowna virus has put far too many people on the water, who don't know the difference between PFD and PSA.
Ask pretty much any commercial guy on the coast; they've seen one of these in the last 3 months.
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/2-people-rescued-after-boat-sinks-off-b-c-gulf-island-1.5072789
For fun, check out Boat Passage on CHS 3477

The day of that sinking, I was close when the Mayday call came on ch 16, so I paid close attention. The RCMP boat was on the scene quickly, and had rescued the 2 from the water before I could have gotten close. No details have come out, so I don't think we should conclude boater ignorance was a factor.
Boat passage is fun in a dinghy, as there is often an overfall. Watch the nearby rocks. The clear passage is only about 50' wide. I don't think I would take a big boat through it, though I have been through in a small one. That 34 should have had ample power to manage, though we don't even know if it was Boat Passage where he got into trouble.

soin2la, are you using a speech recognition program? If so, it needs further training. Kelowna, in place of Corona?

Ummm. I must have heard wrong, because I thought you said Porlier Pass at a full 6 knots. Couldn’t be, that wouldn’t make any sense at all. We shouldn’t rule out that it could be a 60’s hippie and might be a displaced American after all.

Also, I’d have no problem historically with chastising those on the East coast. But then recently I did one of those dna test things and discovered My family pretty much came from the East Coast, like....badly. Virginia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, it’s just terrible. Some very early settlers, it’s just terrible, terrible. I’m trying to scientifically figure out how long the gene pool must be removed from the geographic area before it wears off. On the other hand, lately I’ve found that being rude might just be instinctual with me, thinking of embracing it more whole heartedly. Last night I found an ancestor that sailed (and died) with Sir Francis Drake, so I’m entitled to go full pirate privateer too apparently.

You have been warned. My regular softer and gentle persona is done with.

House boat was in Prolier Pass. Nasty piece of water when current opposed by wind...
The 30+ was in Boat Passage.
Going around Samuel Island via Georgeson Passage is the safe alternative
Reef was within feet of his starboard side before entering Boat Passage

Roddy. That video was a great find. I have gone through 3 times so far this year on the way to Cabbage island. The 40 footer shows local knowledge, though he is a bit too starboard of my preferred line.
You run parallel to the Saturna shore line 100~ feet, you frame the barn on Samuel with the pass to clear the big rock at tip of Samuel and turn port as you clear the gap. Reverse in other direction.

Notice at beginning, the white swirl starboard of boat, there is the boulder the size of that 40 footer. Most boats over the years struck that rock when perpendicular to the entrance.

That's a real guts play going through there in a boat of that size and at that speed, especially if a kayak or dinghy were to enter the channel unseen from the port side. I've been through there in smaller boats over the years and his angle looks to be right in the slot, respecting that big Boulder on the north side.

That's a real guts play going through there in a boat of that size and at that speed.
True that.
It ws obviously staged and I wonder if 1) the name on the stern is Show Boat and 2) if it transits the nearby ecological reserve with the same attitude.

There are multiple things going on at the same time. Where did the house come from? Does the previous owner have some responsibility to ensure the safe passage of the home to it's new location? In Portland our space is a premium to such a degree now that sometimes the space is the only thing that is valuable and the house is a total loss. Giving away the home you would think is a good idea, letting someone else deal w/ the burden of freeing up the space. However, where does one's liability end if you know that person has no legal location to put it?
This brings up an even larger question, RVs, boats, and other structures where someone sells/gives it away knowing that it is going to become abandoned in the near future by the new owner. These questions are societies to answer and address.

As property values continue to increase and affordability becomes even more challenging we are going to have more derelict boats, RVs, and homes. Such a burden for our marine industry, government agencies, tax paying public.

Add to the fact that getting rid of these vessels cost thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. Our systems are not set up to take those cost into consideration. One small clean up can use an entire year or two budgeted. Leaving hundreds of other derelict vessels on our water ways.

This was a case in which the owner didn't have the knowledge base to accomplish such a task or decided to take it on regardless. Either way it was negligence. That boat was never designed to take the strain to move such a structure.

When responsible owners move floating homes in oregon we use commercial tugs, experienced operators, and only move them when wind/weather allows.

https://www.facebook.com/bryrick/videos/10212313192696175/

https://www.facebook.com/bryrick/videos/10208922179922975/

True that.
It ws obviously staged and I wonder if 1) the name on the stern is Show Boat and 2) if it transits the nearby ecological reserve with the same attitude.

Staged, of course, there is no cam in the sky there, obviously a drone they are probably flying.
Which nearby reserve? the boat just entered Winter Cove that has a land based reserve, part of the 45% on Saturna, complete with picnic tables and trails. Sure hope he slowed the pace after passing through due to many boats at anchor. He had to do that speed against the current which looked like 4 knots.

But do tell where that boat would be disrespecting an ecological reserve nearby, I do not see any on water based reserves nearby in the Salish Sea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom