Float Home capsizes off Valdes Island.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Lizard Island is part of the GINPR and the small unnamed islet to the NW has some kind if "ecological" status.
you are correct, land based reserves that a passing boat does not affect. The water based areas are off limits for anchoring to protect seabed but boats can transit over them. In that area wind made waves are more than what a boat produces.

you are correct, land based reserves that a passing boat does not affect. The water based areas are off limits for anchoring to protect seabed but boats can transit over them. In that area wind made waves are more than what a boat produces.
You're kidding, right? Look at the video again and look closely at Georgeson Passage. THAT boat, doing THAT speed passed Lizard Island is harmless, because winds cause more damage?

Tha's like leaving a steamer in a playground and saying birds leave more.

You're kidding, right? Look at the video again and look closely at Georgeson Passage. THAT boat, doing THAT speed passed Lizard Island is harmless, because winds cause more damage?

Tha's like leaving a steamer in a playground and saying birds leave more.

you must be a kayaker! :facepalm:
Georgeson is up a way from Boat pass, not sure why you mentioned it. But yes sea waves are often much more than that boat wave, so get over it.

Now if you would have said in an anchorage full of boats that he was entering, different story. But your land based ecology is no more/no less disturb by a passing boat. But let us know when the speed signs are installed.
You appear to look for arguments.

Have you heard the BC Ferries stop running when wind gets too high. That little island gets those wind waves.

you must be a kayaker!
Georgeson is up a way from Boat pass. But let us know when the speed signs are installed. You appear to look for arguments.

I was curious, so I exhausted every conceivable Google search and spent 2 hours in the library, going through every atlas they have, trying to locate Soo Valley.

I couldn’t find it but have concluded it has to be in TX, KS, NE, or OK, because the Great Plains is the only logical place for a twister of your magnitude.

BTW, the boat in the video would be to Georgeson in less than 3 minutes. Not that I said it was going there; just wondering if it would respect such an area.

I was curious, so I exhausted every conceivable Google search and spent 2 hours in the library, going through every atlas they have, trying to locate Soo Valley.

I couldn’t find it but have concluded it has to be in TX, KS, NE, or OK, because the Great Plains is the only logical place for a twister of your magnitude.

BTW, the boat in the video would be to Georgeson in less than 3 minutes. Not that I said it was going there; just wondering if it would respect such an area.

try this

https://roadsidethoughts.com/mb/sioux-valley-nearby.htm

Ted

soin2la Malcolm Island BC
did not even have to google that.
I enjoyed several beers in the waterfront pub as a guest of a native indian, which I mention because the white man pub is/was across the road at the time.
Got any more insults to throw?

I enjoyed several beers in the waterfront pub as a guest of a native indian, which I mention because the white man pub is/was across the road at the time.

The white mans pub? Soo, you are indeed the epitome of self-contradiction and a hoot to boot.

Beers at the waterfront? Are you sure it wasn’t something else at the Rub Pub?

Some “Mental Giant” thought it was a good idea to tow a float home through Porlier Pass during 6 kts of flood! Needless to say it was not successful.

At 55 seconds in you can see “The Boat” that was used to attempt this Herculean feat.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7352124/capsized-float-home-valdes-island-storm/

I'll bet they were from the other side of the Rockies.

No way was that an Albertan's boat. That was a true British Columbian boat. Did you not see the algae-mold-moss growing on it? And it had the proper faded scotsman fenders (Orange polyform A series) and the old school "log lights" (aka docking lights). Probably been in the family for years...

I bet it's chock full of either empty Lucky cans and flannel or a fair stash of bud and tie dye. But as I don't see any Tibetan prayer flags, I'm leaning towards Lucky.

Albertan boats are fast and shiney and have Canadian Tire 3/8 docklines and hard plastic micro-fenders. All lights are 50,000 lumen LED lightbars.

Last edited:
soin2la Malcolm Island BC
did not even have to google that.
Got any more insults to throw?

I hate to step into this mess, but Soo-Valley, are you sure you were not in Alert Bay? Same area, different island.

No way was that an Albertan's boat. That was a true British Columbian boat. Did you not see the algae-mold-moss growing on it? And it had the proper faded scotsman fenders (Orange polyform A series) and the old school "log lights" (aka docking lights). Probably been in the family for years...

I bet it's chock full of either empty Lucky cans and flannel or a fair stash of bud and tie dye. But as I don't see any Tibetan prayer flags, I'm leaning towards Lucky.

Albertan boats are fast and shiney and have Canadian Tire 3/8 docklines and hard plastic micro-fenders. All lights are 50,000 lumen LED lightbars.

Snagged! Albertan's do like their big, shiny, aluminum Kingfishers.

Last edited:
I hate to step into this mess, but Soo-Valley, are you sure you were not in Alert Bay? Same area, different island.

I was at both and it was in 1973-74. The whale rub does not look right but a map search does not find a water side pub across the street from the pub still in alert bay. The water side one was on stilts. Things can change a lot.
Probably Alert Bay for pub because at Sointula we were at a beach party until early morning and both did not happen on the same day in the same town.
Both involved alcohol. Did you know Alert Bay back then.

Mods: Why is this thread still open ? It ceased being productive after the second post and devolved into an insult fest between forum members, nationalities, geographies and more. We should be better than this.

I was at both and it was in 1973-74. ................Did you know Alert Bay back then.

I lived in Port Hardy then and spent quite a bit of time in both Sointula and Alert Bay. From your description I would say you were in the Bayside in Alert Bay https://goo.gl/maps/n6M2EcYko8hxqUqC9 . The other beer parlour was in the Nimpkish hotel, on the water side of the street, but a ways down the street, and yes it was on pilings. When you used the urinal you could look down thru the drain and see the beach. Locals seemed to favor the Bayside, the fishermen the Nimpkish. I liked the Bayside. Yes, beer was plentiful! Two bits a glass! Good memories of both Sointula and Alert Bay.

Last edited:
Buildings on piles and floats, defined the BC coast, but early 70's in Haddington, there is little doubt the beer parlor (PC changed it to "pub") on piles would have been 'the Nimpkish" at the head of the Gov. wharf.

Attachments

• N H 01.jpg
    N H 01.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 32
I lived in Port Hardy then and spent quite a bit of time in both Sointula and Alert Bay. From your description I would say you were in the Bayside in Alert Bay https://goo.gl/maps/n6M2EcYko8hxqUqC9 . The other beer parlour was in the Nimpkish hotel, on the water side of the street, but a ways down the street, and yes it was on pilings. When you used the urinal you could look down thru the drain and see the beach. Locals seemed to favor the Bayside, the fishermen the Nimpkish. I liked the Bayside. Yes, beer was plentiful! Two bits a glass! Good memories of both Sointula and Alert Bay.
Nimpkish does not appear to have a pub now. Anyway it was not the Bayside as it was definitely water side on pilings. The windows of the Nimpkish look familiar. The reason I said white man pub across road was an assumption since we only went into water side which was quite lively until we pushed open the door and then you could hear a pin drop. We were about to exit when I was recognised. Good memories of misspent youth.
Thanks for the reminder. :dance:
Buildings on stilts were the precursor for float homes. :hide:

Buildings on stilts were the precursor for float homes.
They were pilings.
Stilt houses are built in areas prone to flooding, like SE Asia, the Amazon and Stiltsville Florida.

Camps and canneries on floats were fixtures on the BC coast, for almost as long as pilings and were the birthplace of float homes and fishing lodges.

They were pilings.
Stilt houses are built in areas prone to flooding, like SE Asia, the Amazon and Stiltsville Florida.

Camps and canneries on floats were fixtures on the BC coast, for almost as long as pilings and were the birthplace of float homes and fishing lodges.
:rofl: Grow up already. I choose to call them stilts.

Stilts
Stilts are poles, posts or pillars that allow a person or structure to stand at a height above the ground.

In flood plains, and on beaches or unstable ground, buildings are often constructed on stilts to protect them from damage by water, waves or shifting soil or sand. Stilts for walking have platforms for the feet and may be strapped to the user's legs. Stilts have been used for many hundreds of years

Even worse than being upside down on your mortgage?

WOW. Back to your regular scheduled OP's thread.

So does anyone know about salvage of the floating home? I wouldn't think they would try roller her over and re-float it. It would seem an excavator on a barge with a grab bucket and just crush it and put it on a barge for disposal.

WOW. Back to your regular scheduled OP's thread.

So does anyone know about salvage of the floating home? I wouldn't think they would try roller her over and re-float it. It would seem an excavator on a barge with a grab bucket and just crush it and put it on a barge for disposal.

With the 90KPM winds expected today I suspect it will be scattered in pieces and avoid an expensive recovery effort.

With the 90KPM winds expected today I suspect it will be scattered in pieces and avoid an expensive recovery effort.

It has calmed right down (I am 10 miles NW at the moment) Yesterday's predicted 25 knots isn't happening today and the wind is now blowing off the shore, at 10knots.

It has calmed right down (I am 10 miles NW at the moment) Yesterday's predicted 25 knots isn't happening today and the wind is now blowing off the shore, at 10knots.

Yes, even the wind warning has been rescinded. And calm has arrived.
Wonder if Global will do a follow up.

Stiltsville is on stilts because there is no dry land and exposed to the open ocean.....wouldn't really call that flooding.

I choose to call them stilts.
You may choose to call them “stilts.” Some on here choose to call Grenville Channel, “the ditch” and the BC coast “PNW.” All are wrong and a slow erosion of our historical identity.
Chip, chip, chip.

In flood plains, and on beaches or unstable ground, buildings are often constructed on stilts to protect them from damage by water, waves or shifting soil or sand.
On that, you are correct. However that was not the reason for pilings on the coast.

The federal government and every commercial enterprise on the booming BC coast, post WW I had ready access to pile drivers, not stilt drivers, which were kept busy providing a base for wharves, log dumps, booming grounds AND a means to build out over the water, more economically than on land. Many places had and still have no flat land in the most viable industrial locations.

The railway in Beaver Cove, operational since 1917, had a rail mounted steam driven crane with pile driver, in near full time use.

Most places also had a blaster and a blaster’s shack. One of the blasters routine jobs was to light a stick and drop it off the wharf, timed to blow after it broke the surface...toredo control.

Telegraph Cove is one of the best examples of piling use. Being the best location for storing, sorting milling and loading timbers on sailing ships bound for Japan, a sawmill and camp were built on pilings, many of which are still in place more than 100 years later.

Steveston, Butedale and Prince Rupert too.

There are more than a few BC raised boys who would take “stilts” as a personal affront.

Please don’t be sloppy with my heritage and our history.

Attachments

• P R 02.jpg
    P R 02.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Stv 01.jpg
    Stv 01.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 28

There are more than a few BC raised boys who would take “stilts” as a personal affront.

Please don’t be sloppy with my heritage and our history.
Interesting, the race card.

Many found it offensive that Queen Charlotte Island was renamed Haida Gwaii, but that is OK, we accepted it.
We can still call the pond between Vancouver and Gulf Islands Georgia Straight, even though it is now part of the Salish Sea, BUT call a piling a stilt and by god we have offended your heritage.

When is a piling not a piling.
When it is a dolphin.
We should rename that as dolphins may be offended.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom