Flemings really do anchor out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
Got to Hadley Harbor (near Woods Hole Mass) about 4:00 today, moorings were full so dropped anchor in the outer anchorage. An hour later this gorgeous Fleming plulled up and dropped his $X thousand SS Delta anchor. Might have been a brand new boat as the owner captain only put out 2:1 scope at first, but finally increased it to 3:1. No sweat, it is calm tonight.

Here is a pic of her.

Also while crossing Buzzards Bay on the way to HH, we met this tired looking square rigger. Couldn't have been any more different from the Fleming.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 397
Nice on both boats. The Schooner is probably en-route to Gloucester for the Schooner Festival Labor Day weekend. We get a really good turnout. If anyone is going to be around, give me a shout.

I've a friend with a Fleming.
I would if I could!

I'll take the Fleming as well. Its hard to find water with a nice downward slope in these parts.:)

Stole the designs from DeFever. Art was too big a man to fight it. Pity.

That square rig looks like it is headed south!

Stole the designs from DeFever. Art was too big a man to fight it.

That's an urban myth isn't it? It would not have been a winnable fight even if true, lots or RPH designs around, peas in a pod to a large extent.:)

Some other discussion on this claim as well. See post #17 in this threadhttp://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/tony-fleming-great-professional-human-venture-30865.html

Last edited:
Don't suppose we will ever know.

But compare my Grand Alaskan 53 to the Fleming 55.

Take away the two extra cockpit feet...

I suspect it is more a case of working for a very successful guy for many years and then leaving to start your own business in the same field. Guess what you are going to do to make your business successful - follow the model.

Last edited:
I was reading this morning that the Flemings are actually a Norman Wright design.
Well the 58 at least
Fleming 58 | Fleming Yachts

Wrights are a Brisbane boat building firm.
My registration says our vessel is Norman Wright build but the brokerage had her listed as a Milkraft, which was an equally respected yard back in the day.
Survey has her as a McLaren.

Last edited:
There was a nice Fleming anchored in Tribune Bay, Hornby Is. BC a few days ago. Guess it can't be all that rare a sight. I've seen a few stay a night or two in Comox Hbr. this summer. Beautiful boats!

I`ve seen one anchored more than once in Yeomans Bay, in Cowan Waters, on the Hawkesbury River. Probably had to, the National Parks moorings provided are for boats up to 15M. Fleming are always at the Sydney Boat Show and are most welcoming of anyone wanting to inspect, no vetting process, like some brands.
Simi, you are right of course,Milkraft, McLaren, and Norman Wright are very well respected designers and builders up your way. I thought the Qld Fleming designs may have been from a Fred Fleming.

Last edited:
Norman Wright only became involved with the new Fleming 58. I think it will prove to be the most popular of all...beautiful design that addresses the (few) shortcomings of the previous models.

Back to the anchoring, they make a nice stable center to a raft-up.

DuckIsland_Raft-up-081117.jpg

I think the second boat is the Amistad. Normally moored in New Haven, CT. And stopped by Duck Island about a week ago.

Last edited:
There is no doubt Tony Fleming makes one heck of a vessel. I did a great deal of research on Fleming and they are a well thought out vessel and well designed. It will be my next vessel as soon as life's bumps smooth out for us.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Cheers Mate.

H.

Norman Wright only became involved with the new Fleming 58. I think it will prove to be the most popular of all...beautiful design that addresses the (few) shortcomings of the previous models.

Addresses things they were hearing regularly, conversations like "I'd love a Fleming but...".

The 58 is actually much closer in size to the 65 than it is to the 55. There were some regular objections by potential customers to the 55. Most heard were the complaint about the master in the bow, undersized davit, engine access, headroom, and lack of pilothouse width.

I was quite amazed at the depreciation hit on the Flemings.
$3,000,000 + new
2000 ish models for around $700k.

Fleming 55 for sale - YachtWorld UK

If you do some research you will find they hold their value quite well. Comparing a brand new $3m boat to a year 2000? Makes no sense to me. I have followed them for a long time and know several owners. These boats tend to sell used for roughly what they cost new. I.e. say a 2009 55' cost 1.8m. That's about what it will bring, condition of course being take into account. There were two like this in BC/WA this Spring. One sold in a week, the other in three.

Will be interesting to see if that holds out for the 58, it has a much higher price point. More like 3.4-3.5 at this time.

Nice on both boats. The Schooner is probably en-route to Gloucester for the Schooner Festival Labor Day weekend. We get a really good turnout. If anyone is going to be around, give me a shout.

I'm in striking distance to that by road. Are there land side based special attractions too?

The Flemings are very nice boats. We passed Venture which is Tony Fleming's '65 out in the Gulf of Alaska. They were heading to Prince William Sound as we were heaving back to SE Alaska and south. Had a nice chat on the VHF with his captain.

Comparing a brand new $3m boat to a year 2000? Makes no sense to me. .

It doesn't need to make sense to you JustBob - it makes sense to me.

Looking at the expensive newer boats in these parts it seems they very rarely get used, their owners probably having to stay at work to keep them on a berth meticulously maintained.

I"d rather buy the rarely used and meticulously maintained version, albeit older, for a fraction of the cost of new , be on the water full time and not have to work.

It doesn't need to make sense to you JustBob - it makes sense to me.

Looking at the expensive newer boats in these parts it seems they very rarely get used, their owners probably having to stay at work to keep them on a berth meticulously maintained.

I"d rather buy the rarely used and meticulously maintained version, albeit older, for a fraction of the cost of new , be on the water full time and not have to work.

But the depreciation isn't measured by comparing todays price against today's value. Cost when new, 17 years ago, is all that matters. And from what I have seen, Flemings hold up pretty well.

But the depreciation isn't measured by comparing todays price against today's value.

Depreciation was the wrong word.
De-value would be more appropriate.

They dont lose value as fast compared to other boats but they have still lost value, especially when measured in today's money and adding in other factors like opportunity cost.

I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't consider a new one an "investment" not that anyone said they were, more that they lose money not as fast as others. :)

$2,300,000 in 2000 = $3,266,000.00 in 2017, not $700,000.

Last edited:
The schooner is "Lynx". She's a baltimore clipper style tops'l schooner :). I have always loved how flemings look on the water.

Depreciation was the wrong word.
De-value would be more appropriate.

They dont lose value as fast compared to other boats but they have still lost value, especially when measured in today's money and adding in other factors like opportunity cost.

As soon as you figure out how to not "lose" money boating, be sure and let us all know.

As soon as you figure out how to not "lose" money boating, be sure and let us all know.
Buy buying a well maintained, lightly used boat for a fraction of its build/purchase price and then actually using it.

Most heard were the complaint about the master in the bow, undersized davit, engine access, headroom, and lack of pilothouse width.

Yep, that sums up why we ruled the 55 out for living aboard after a few good hard looks. On the other hand, I always thought it is a wonderful boat to be underway on, especially after having a ride on one.

Yep, that sums up why we ruled the 55 out for living aboard after a few good hard looks. On the other hand, I always thought it is a wonderful boat to be underway on, especially after having a ride on one.

I liked the 65, but the 55 just never was enough boat in my mind and I don't mean it's seakeeping ability, I mean it's space, arrangement. Perhaps it was the 65 that made it seem like too little.

I liked the 65, but the 55 just never was enough boat in my mind and I don't mean it's seakeeping ability, I mean it's space, arrangement. Perhaps it was the 65 that made it seem like too little.

The 65' is quite a lot of boat and very nice. I could tolerate a 55', after all I'm making do with 50' that is fairly similar in style (and negatives). I've yet to get aboard a 58'.

For the 58' I'm told that the mid-ship master GA is only selling 50% of new orders. The other 50% are sticking with the master in the bow as the overall layout then really flows and works well. From looking at the two layouts I think I would go with the bow master as well. For the mid-ship master version, the steep stairs from the pilothouse just don't cut it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom