Flemings really do anchor out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that doesn't cost you money?

It doesn't lose me money hand over fist, the previous owner took that hit for me.

Yes, she costs, but as we live aboard, don't pay marina fees, electricity, water, rates etc etc its actually working out cheaper than the land based alternative.

Last edited:
It doesn't lose me money hand over fist, the previous owner took that hit for me.

Yes, she costs, but as we live aboard, don't pay marina fees, electricity, water, rates etc etc its actually working out cheaper than the land based alternative.

So it's a matter of the speed with which one spends their money. A matter of degree.

Any particular reason Flemings don't anchor?

They anchor just as much as any other well found trawler.

I think the OP was just being facetious!

So it's a matter of the speed with which one spends their money. A matter of degree.

TomAto tomARto
One man (or woman's) spending is another's losing.

Given we only have a certain amount of hours left on the planet I'd rather buy good quality massively devalued toys and spend a lot less time working and a lot more time enjoying them.
You can't buy back time.

Last edited:
TomAto tomARto
One man (or woman's) spending is another's losing.

Given we only have a certain amount of hours left on the planet I'd rather buy good quality massively devalued toys and spend a lot less time working and a lot more time enjoying them.
You can't buy back time.

Well, we buy new and feel the same way you do. You're the one who brought up losing. Time is the most important asset after health, so use it to the fullest.

No boats are investments from a financial standpoint, but they are investments in life and pleasure. That is true whether it's a new 78' Fleming or a 40 year old 24' Glastron.

There is no doubt Tony Fleming makes one heck of a vessel. I did a great deal of research on Fleming and they are a well thought out vessel and well designed. It will be my next vessel as soon as life's bumps smooth out for us.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Cheers Mate.

H.

Hey H!

Knew you'd chime in seeing as Fleming boats are on the table... err in the water.

I pray that your and yours bumps soon smooth out!

Your Irish buddy - Art :D

PS: Watching that fight tomorrow?? He may be Irish with a big jaw... and I'm pretty sure he could win a street fight... But... I'll not put any money on McGregor in the ring with a real pro boxer like Mayweather... under boxing rules/regs!

Well, we buy new and feel the same way you do. You're the one who brought up losing. .
My point that you seem to be missing is that unless you are one of the 0.1% you are owned and going to work Monday if buying expensive shiny new toys all the time.
Your choice but to my way of thinking, time has been traded/lost in favour of keeping up appearances.
Remember, an older, lightly used well maintained Fleming is still a Fleming and a Prada handbag is just a sack you put stuff in ;)

As I and most of us are not one of that 0.1%, for us personally we chose time, no need to work and very early retirement.
If that means putting up with the "rich kids" hand-me-downs so be it.
I'll give them a wave as they up anchor tomorrow and go back to the Monday morning rat race ;)

Last edited:
My point that you seem to be missing is that unless you are one of the 1% you are owned and going to work Monday if buying expensive shiny new toys all the time.
Your choice but to my way of thinking, time has been traded/lost in favour of keeping up appearances.
Remember, an older, lightly used well maintained Fleming is still a Fleming and a Prada handbag is just a sack you put stuff in ;)

As I and most of us are not one of that 1%, for us personally we chose time, no need to work and very early retirement.
I'll give them a wave as they up anchor tomorrow and go back to the Monday morning rat race ;)

Although not the path we took or necessarily recommend, there are those who bought new when young and working, financed, high payments, and retired early with the boat they'd owned for 15 years and paid off. People do buy new for reasons other than appearance and many are not exceptionally wealthy. When you talk the 1%, if you're talking of the world as a while, don't mislead yourself, because you're in it. If you're talking a single country or something it is a group you may or may not be in.

There are many different ways people choose to approach it. Yours is certainly a very good approach and one that works for many. I totally agree with you on the idea of doing what it takes to retire early and enjoy life. I fully understand your point, just don't think what you state as the best, one and only best way, is the best way for all.

I'm glad there are those who buy new; otherwise how could I buy used?

When you talk the 1%, if you're talking of the world as a while, don't mislead yourself, because you're in it.
Which is why I had changed it, probably why you were typing a response to 0.1% ;)

Last edited:
I'm glad there are those who buy new; otherwise how could I buy used?

Absolutely.
Worked well for us with several European cars, motorcycles and boats.
As the new boat buyers leave tomorrow for their superior indebted lifestyle I shall applaud their efforts in providing us mere mortals with cheap toys to enjoy. :thumb:

I daresay we will see them all again at some stage when they have earned their two days of perceived freedom.:hide:

Last edited:
Hey H!

Knew you'd chime in seeing as Fleming boats are on the table... err in the water.

I pray that your and yours bumps soon smooth out!

Your Irish buddy - Art :D

PS: Watching that fight tomorrow?? He may be Irish with a big jaw... and I'm pretty sure he could win a street fight... But... I'll not put any money on McGregor in the ring with a real pro boxer like Mayweather... under boxing rules/regs!

Thanks for the prays Art me Irish bro. Things are starting to get back on track on the Fleming Mate. I am keeping me old fingers crossed!:thumb:

I fear the our Irish mate does not have a chance in the match. (That is, if the fix is not in:rofl:) However the pay day will be good for him.

Cheers Mate.

H.

Just like autos are experiencing right now, the used boat market varies widely. In autos right now there have been so many leased cars returned that the market for a 3 year old car has dropped 17%.

In boats, production was so terribly deflated in the 2008-2011 time frame that there are very few of that period on the market but there were many 2007 and older for sale. Now, there are also a lot of boats entering the market again that are 5 years old or less. It does seem though that the lack of 2008-11 boats has still kept the prices of newer used boats high. The bargains today are 1995-2007.

"I'm glad there are those who buy new; otherwise how could I buy used?"

I just wish the new hull buyers had enough experience to see past the flash and DEMAND better designed and built boats.

Absolutely.

Worked well for us with several European cars, motorcycles and boats.

As the new boat buyers leave tomorrow for their superior indebted lifestyle I shall applaud their efforts in providing us mere mortals with cheap toys to enjoy. :thumb:

I daresay we will see them all again at some stage when they have earned their two days of perceived freedom.:hide:

Buying used is what I do. I'm too innately cheap to buy new and couldn't afford what I want if I did. However, I think you are making some pretty broad generalizations. It may be true for some, but to assign an attitude to everyone that buys new is a mistake.

"I'm glad there are those who buy new; otherwise how could I buy used?"

I just wish the new hull buyers had enough experience to see past the flash and DEMAND better designed and built boats.

Wifey B: Some of us feel our boats are very well designed and built. :)

Some MUST be purchased new - or else - the whole game stops! Some MUST be purchased used - or else - the whole game stops!

Cause - After All... Pleasure boating is just a fun game!!

Last edited:

I guess that's why there are so many posts on folks attempting to have clean fuel, replacing Chinese composite decking , patching windows..and attempting to keep the house batts up.

With better design and assembly none of these problems should exist.

PM will always be needed , but patching design flaws , UGH! Not my style of boating.

Last edited:

I guess that's why there are so many posts on folks attempting to have clean fuel, replacing Chinese composite decking , patching windows..and attempting to keep the house batts up.

PM will always be needed , but patching design flaws , UGH! Not my style of boating.

That is exactly why we got a 1977 Tollycraft. Use it / Cruise it / Dock it... repeat often as possible!

At 40 yrs. old, after having no previous large scale maintenance/alteration needs, there are still few and far between needs for repair/refurbishment due to design flaws. That said; I do want to get time to have her on the hard and really attack a couple of items that happen simply due to the boat's four decade age.

One thing that greatly helps a boat "weather" decades of age and repeat use is covered dock. I fully recommend to everyone to get and pay for covered dock space if possible. Covered dock is fully worth it in the long run [short run too] no matter what brand of boat or material it's made of.

Wifey B: I repeat, Some of us feel like our boats are very well designed and built. We don't have those issues. There are many builders today with good designs and good building. You're right that those problems shouldn't exist, but many of the issues discussed here are not on today's boats. Still some builders today are better than others. Just don't make your statements so universal. :)

One thing that greatly helps a boat "weather" decades of age and repeat use is covered dock. I fully recommend to everyone to get and pay for covered dock space if possible. Covered dock is fully worth it in the long run [short run too] no matter what brand of boat or material it's made of.

Wifey B: Not as easy to do in some areas. :)

Wifey B: Not as easy to do in some areas. :)

I could easily get an enclosed boathouse in a secure marina. It would greatly reduce my maintenance costs and provide all kinds of other conveniences. However, we love the view from our open slip. Hard to beat sitting in the aft cockpit or flybridge looking at a pretty harbor with Mt. Rainier in the background.

I could easily get an enclosed boathouse in a secure marina. It would greatly reduce my maintenance costs and provide all kinds of other conveniences. However, we love the view from our open slip. Hard to beat sitting in the aft cockpit or flybridge looking at a pretty harbor with Mt. Rainier in the background.

Unless very inclement weather [not usual in SF Delta from March through November]... we nearly always pull out of slip soon after arriving for enjoying "Boat Days"! Occasionally December through Feb we do stay in slip when visiting while rain/wind happens. :speed boat:

I was quite amazed at the depreciation hit on the Flemings.
$3,000,000 + new
2000 ish models for around $700k.

Fleming 55 for sale - YachtWorld UK

The 2000 boat did not coast 3 Mil it was probably a lot closer to the asking price. In general the Flemmings keep their value better than most by a good margin. What the 3 mil shows is how the price has gone up and that is why the older boats can ask close to what they paid when new. I suspect many 17 year old boats unlike homes will lose value. disclosure ,I neither own or sell Flemmings.

Last edited:
The 2000 boat did not coast 3 Mil it was probably a lot closer to the asking price. In general the Flemmings keep their value better than most by a good margin. What the 3 mil shows is how the price has gone up and that is why the older boats can ask close to what they paid when new. I suspect many 17 year old boats unlike homes will lose value. disclosure ,I neither own or sell Flemmings.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Good going eyschulman.

My point that you seem to be missing is that unless you are one of the 0.1% you are owned and going to work Monday if buying expensive shiny new toys all the time.

As I and most of us are not one of that 0.1%, for us personally we chose time, no need to work and very early retirement.

You know there are some of us that choose to build a business, build a career, practice in a professional field, and we enjoy it. And it can be that because of that we don't have the time to take care of a nice boat nor utilize it enough. But we make that choice. I'm proud of the company I built, being a great place to work for lots of people, and a great service for our customers. And I'm happy that because of that now I have the funds for a nice new boat, with plenty of time on my own meter to enjoy it.

And congrats on your early retirement.

Wifey B: I repeat, Some of us feel like our boats are very well designed and built. We don't have those issues. There are many builders today with good designs and good building. You're right that those problems shouldn't exist, but many of the issues discussed here are not on today's boats. Still some builders today are better than others. Just don't make your statements so universal. :)

Perhaps I missed it but what kind of boat do you have? Some detail would be nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom