Fleming 55 vs Krogen Express 52

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJ Sprocket

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blue Heaven
Vessel Make
Mainship 430 Aft Cabin
Currently in the market for our upgrade boat. Looking at Grand Banks 47 as the most ideal, but also considering the Fleming 55 and Krogen Express 52 at the upper end of possibilities. I haven’t seen any comments or comparisons of the Fleming 55 vs Krogen Express 52 yet they appear to be an obvious choice in that range of boat. Does anyone have experience of both, or of looking into both during a search that ultimately ended up with one or the other? There appear to be many similarities, but also some significant differences.

Funny you should ask that question. We just sold our KE 49 and bought a Fleming 55. The Krogen was an awesome boat and we were torn after 17 years of ownership. Both boats are well built and seaworthy but have significant differences. Both have master in the bow, a deal killer for some. I liked a forward master. If I heard the burgee rattle I knew the wind piped up on anchor I would get up and have a look around. Nice safe side decks on both boats. The Krogen a little harder to get off and on with higher decks. The Krogen has an amazing stand up engine room for normal maintenance. The Fleming not so much. The biggest issue for us was when the admiral slipped off of the steep stairs going forward and shattered an ankle. On the Krogen you have to go up into the PH and then down to companion way. The Fleming has five easy steps from salon to companion way. So I guess we are just showing our age with old knees and backs. Both boats would do you good service. At this point my last boat is a Fleming 55.

Hi mycows, thanks for the comments! We definitely like the things that these boats have in common and so it is the differences that I'm trying to drill down into. We have not been aboard a Krogen for many years, but have more recently spent time on a Fleming. It appears that the Krogen is a little more fuel efficient, and has a higher top speed when needed. We haven't sea trialed either yet, but suspect they are relatively equal in that department. The stand up engine room is a plus. It is interesting you mention the ease of getting around the Fleming vs the Krogen. On our recent visit I was a little surprised by the depth of the steps on the Fleming 55. Not a show stopper, but they felt steep to both me and my wife. If the Krogen is worse, then that would be a factor. For me, the biggest downside of the Krogen is the design of the flybridge. I could never understand why they had such a small seating area positioned around the main helm seat, with no table, and then the large empty deck area aft of that where the grill is. Flemings and Grand Banks (and even our Mainship 430) have expansive flybridge seating around a table which appears to be more comfortable especially for large groups out for day cruise. So, as a Krogen user of many years, can you comment on this and how you find the comparison with the Fleming? The 4ft draft of the Krogen is an advantage over the 5ft draft of the Fleming in Florida and Chesapeake cruising grounds. The support and service of the Fleming folks at Burr etc. is incredible. A definitely plus for Fleming. I think the cabins and heads of the Fleming feel smaller than the Krogen (because it is only 2 cabin layout). We like the availability of the convertible bunk in the pilot house for the rare occasion the extra bunk is needed. How would you compare the comfort and usability of the companion seating area in the pilot houses on each? It looks like the Flemings command a higher price than the Krogens. At the end of the day, in today's market, we will likely seriously consider whichever boat next comes available on the market, and go with the first one that makes us comfortable.

Please PM me. I seem to be having problems replying

If you don't mind, after you discuss this in private, post what was said.

I would love to hear this conversation. We are approaching the same boats, plus Marlow 49E.

Hi Choices, (firstly, thanks mycows for the conversation!), I'll do my best to summarize: it appears that my impressions about pros and cons of each were relatively accurate. Many similarities, but on the differences side: The Krogen is much lighter and therefore easier to cruise at higher speeds if desired. The Fleming flybridge is spectacular, the Krogen more limited. Krogen engine room very spacious, Fleming not so much. General movement about the Fleming is easier than on the Krogen due to the configuration and relative steepness of steps etc. Master cabin on Krogen better access to standard queen berth vs more tricky access to custom mattress on the Fleming. Both are great boats and have good ownership communities. Availability of either in the current market is tough. Waiting time for a new Fleming is 2025. I believe a new Krogen is still available for next summer.

Excellent. Have not gotten on an Express yet. Will soon. Keep us posted on what you learn.

TJ, I've been looking as well, primarily at the Grand Banks 47. The inventory is so low and the prices so high, that I've decided to improve my current boat. We've installed new soft goods so far. Next project is a serious dinghy and a crane to keep her on the foredeck.

These type of projects only seem prudent financially when compared to purchasing a newer, larger boat!

Good luck with your search.

Love this thread....looking into these along with the Nordhavn. Might wait to have a look at the N51. Good luck.

It’s a fun topic. Interested in hearing about experience with the Marlow 49E and 53E as they appear to be chasing the same market.

Currently in the market for our upgrade boat. Looking at Grand Banks 47 as the most ideal, but also considering the Fleming 55 and Krogen Express 52 at the upper end of possibilities. I haven’t seen any comments or comparisons of the Fleming 55 vs Krogen Express 52 yet they appear to be an obvious choice in that range of boat. Does anyone have experience of both, or of looking into both during a search that ultimately ended up with one or the other? There appear to be many similarities, but also some significant differences.

I’d put a Grand Banks 52 into that equation also. Very large mid ship master. The GB47 is smaller than the boats you mentioned. I’ve cruised 100s of miles on a Fleming 55 that I sold to a client friend. He considered krogen also at the time but the Fleming flows better layout, stairs, deck, flybridge etc. He had it 10 years.
Great boat.

Fun considering your options!

Inspiration for pleasant dreams tonight!

Krogen Express owner 574-536-9284 for a call

Funny you should ask that question. We just sold our KE 49 and bought a Fleming 55. The Krogen was an awesome boat and we were torn after 17 years of ownership. Both boats are well built and seaworthy but have significant differences. Both have master in the bow, a deal killer for some. I liked a forward master. If I heard the burgee rattle I knew the wind piped up on anchor I would get up and have a look around. Nice safe side decks on both boats. The Krogen a little harder to get off and on with higher decks. The Krogen has an amazing stand up engine room for normal maintenance. The Fleming not so much. The biggest issue for us was when the admiral slipped off of the steep stairs going forward and shattered an ankle. On the Krogen you have to go up into the PH and then down to companion way. The Fleming has five easy steps from salon to companion way. So I guess we are just showing our age with old knees and backs. Both boats would do you good service. At this point my last boat is a Fleming 55.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I've slipped on more varnished step treads in my career than I'd like to admit. I routinely lobby for either unvarnished treads, or thorough non-skid application, and always wear shoes/slippers with rubber soles, stocking feet and varnish are a dangerous combination https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Shoeless-PartingShot191-FINAL.pdf

Thanks Steve. We all can relate to one moments inattention. There was aggressive non skid in place but she’s not sure exactly what happened. The steep stairway is our biggest knock against the KE but otherwise an outstanding vessel. That being said, the timing was right for a quick sale and allowed us to move to a Fleming 55…We are very lucky in many ways and we look forward to making a lot of great memories on our new to us boat…But that’s really what boating is all about!

I routinely lobby for either unvarnished treads, or thorough non-skid application, and always wear shoes/slippers with rubber soles, stocking feet and varnish are a dangerous combination

Back when I was a young "genius" I decided to oil my varnished teak pilothouse sole. Yep. When wearing socks, it was like skating on ice lubricated with teflon! Ha. I had to buy a big piece of carpet for the sole after that.

TJ,

Don't mean to derail the conversation or worse go off topic (!). Have you considered a North Pacific 45 or 49? We have a 45 and are very happy with it. The 49 offers a lot more space though maybe not the speed of the Fleming or Krogen Express.

Just a happy owner.

Rob

Hi Datenight - we do like the ability to move around at 15-16 knots especially when just doing long weekends and need to get places. We spent decades at 6-7 knots sailing and can't go back to that having tasted higher speeds! Just bad timing with the price of diesel!

I've slipped on more varnished step treads in my career than I'd like to admit. I routinely lobby for either unvarnished treads, or thorough non-skid application, and always wear shoes/slippers with rubber soles, stocking feet and varnish are a dangerous combination https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Shoeless-PartingShot191-FINAL.pdf

I had the same misfortune last year slipped off the bottom step edge and jamming up both knees in front of the family. No fun.

Back
Top Bottom