Flares? What flares?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey PSN, was the CG using night vision instruments when you were flying? Serious question. I'm not making fun of your age...I mean advanced experience. ;)
Just curious.

Hey PSN, was the CG using night vision instruments when you were flying? Serious question. I'm not making fun of your age...I mean advanced experience. ;)
Just curious.

USCG was just getting started on NVGs when I retired. I helped pioneer FLIR back in the early 80s.

Northrop installed a top of the line FLIR in a Miami helo and I was the first to deploy to a cutter off the Yucatan on a drug patrol and requested to test various techniques with it.

On one patrol, we saw a flashing light we thought was a couple miles away...nearly 15 miles away we flew over it...it was a fisherman and his lighter smoking on the transom.

Do any of you run a HAM rig on your boats? Each boat we look at I’m trying to figure out where the radio, tuner and amp will sit and how am I going to get a 40/20 dipole up from one end to the other.

USCG was just getting started on NVGs when I retired. I helped pioneer FLIR back in the early 80s.

Northrop installed a top of the line FLIR in a Miami helo and I was the first to deploy to a cutter off the Yucatan on a drug patrol and requested to test various techniques with it.

On one patrol, we saw a flashing light we thought was a couple miles away...nearly 15 miles away we flew over it...it was a fisherman and his lighter smoking on the transom.

I had a similar experience flying on OPBAT missions with the USCG in the Bahamas. One night, 2003,we spotted a strobe though our nvg’s. It was so bright, as I said, you just couldn’t ignore it.

The moment we saw it, I hit the MOB button on my handheld GPS. When we finally got to the strobe, it turned out to be a sailboat at anchor. I checked my GPS and saw that we had gone just over twenty miles.

I decided right then and there, that I would always have a strobe on my boat for emergencies. :D

In USA Inland Navrules.....strobes are for distress, but international...... they are not mentioned for distress and really can't be confused for navigation lights.

They were commonly used on fishing gear back in the day...made search and rescue very difficult because many USA organizations use/used them for distress including the USCG and rest of USA military.

Do any of you run a HAM rig on your boats? Each boat we look at I’m trying to figure out where the radio, tuner and amp will sit and how am I going to get a 40/20 dipole up from one end to the other.

Yes I run Ham on both my center console and on the trawler. also use aprs

kg4srw-4 kg4srw-8

Yes I run Ham on both my center console and on the trawler. also use aprs

kg4srw-4 kg4srw-8

Just looked you up on Q. What type antenna do you run on the boat? What bands are you on? Do you run an amp? I can’t wait to see where I can work once offshore. I’m k4wwi.

It would be better to start your own thread about ham radios instead of jumping into a thread on flares. You will probably get better response also.

One dark evening in the early 1980s, offshore from Benicia (Carquinez Strait, San Francisco Estuary), our camp stove flared up in the cockpit. Immediate, unneeded assistance was offered from local boater(s). Open fires attract attention.

One dark evening in the early 1980s, offshore from Benicia (Carquinez Strait, San Francisco Estuary), our camp stove flared up in the cockpit. Immediate, unneeded assistance was offered from local boater(s). Open fires attract attention.

Open flames are one of the COLREGs distress signals.

Back
Top Bottom