FL Hurricane Plan: Mangrove Canal vs Haul-out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Intending to buy a trawler for liveaboard in South FL. Very tough to find hull coverage. Finally found a potential carrier, but they require haul-out for any named storm. Which I assume would probably necessitate paying a specific marina to reserve a hurricane haul-out space. So not only do I gotta stay near that marina all summer/fall...then even in the case of advanced warning of likely direct hit, I no longer have the option to move out of the path.

Opinions on haul-out vs. tying up back in a mangrove canal? I noticed big fancy sportfisher's down in Islamorada tied up back in the mangroves for Irma (and survived)? I'm inclined to believe those guys know what they are doing, and must have reason to elect to tie up where they did as opposed to haul-out. Seems like storm surge or heavy hurricane force winds would be a major risk up on stands stacked like dominoes?

You have to find high enough ground to park on land because of surge. And, they have ot be set up with tie downs, REAL tie downs. And that "reservation" you speak of is $$$

This is a tough game.

Oscar is right. Many insurance companies will ask you for a storm plan and specifically which marina will haul out your boat and how high their storage yard is above sea level. Many aren't high enough and yes that pretty well commits you to being within a day or so of such marina.

Mangrove tie offs have their own problems. The water level has to be high enough to get your boat in and mangroves have to be within about 50-100' of both sides of your boat. I boat in SW Florida and can't think of too many places like that.

Concrete canals can also work, but you need to work out permission to tie off your boat to docks and piles on both sides of the canal.

As oscar notes, this is a tough game.

David

If you can find a suitable spot, I think tying up in Mangroves is one of the safest places you can during a hurricane. Safer than on the hard, unless you can get on high ground with tie-downs or well inland.

The problem is finding a suitable spot in Mangroves. All the local commercial boats probably already have dibs on them. Plus you need a lot of line.

This is nice spot

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 81
If you're going to live aboard one plan may be to run. Getting just 50 or 100 miles from a storm is a big deal as far as conditions go. You can run to Stuart and have 3 ways to go, North, South or West if you stay far enough ahead.
Andrew in 92 went through Homestead South of Miami. My boat was in Dusenbury Creek in the mangroves in Key Largo and I lived in Miami Lakes in NW Dade (Miami). Boat and House came through no problems, Andrew went right between, about 25 miles from boat and house.

:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom