Fitted dinghy steering and seat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
A friend of mine tried to do that with his dinghy. It ended up being cheaper to sell the dinghy and buy the exact same dinghy with the seat and console (and slightly larger motor) installed.

YMMV

It might totally change the dynamics of the ride. May cause it to "plow"

pete

A friend of mine tried to do that with his dinghy. It ended up being cheaper to sell the dinghy and buy the exact same dinghy with the seat and console (and slightly larger motor) installed.

YMMV
My friend with the large fancy power cat thinks I'm nuts for going old school sit-on-tube RIB outboard with tiller steering. He thinks a center console is bare minimum. Of course I think he's nuts, especially since his RIB is too heavy to drag onto a beach. Too nice to tie to a dinghy dock without fear of marring. He has a hard time keeping the battery charged (LFP would really help). Weight distribution isn't good for planing, though a big outboard seems to solve that. It of course has a small dashboard with electronics and a stereo that never seem to all simultaneously work And frankly, it doesn't carry much.

But his wife looks fantastic with her large sun hat and oversized sunglasses. Somethings are expensive, others are priceless.

Peter

Our dinghy strikes a middle ground. It's a hard skiff, not an inflatable. The driver sits on the rear bench seat (and can sit almost centered), but it's a tiller steered outboard. Definitely a step up from sitting sideways on a tube in my opinion. With trim tabs added, it has enough stern lift to get on plane just fine with 1 person sitting on the rear bench despite the sub-optimal weight distribution.

Thanks MVWeebles, that is exactly the information I needed.

To everyone else offering 'advice', everyone has and opinion, and you know the rest of the quote.

If you take time to review the original post, I ALREADY own the dinghy. It's a $3500 dinghy and is practically new. If the kit is around $3000 and a motor is the same I'll have a fitted dinghy for about $6000 out of pocket. My current 13'6" with 30HP four stroke will sell for about $8000 (and it comes with a trailer) so I'm simply juggling assets to get what I need.

Thanks MVWeebles, that is exactly the information I needed.

To everyone else offering 'advice', everyone has and opinion, and you know the rest of the quote.

If you take time to review the original post, I ALREADY own the dinghy. It's a $3500 dinghy and is practically new. If the kit is around $3000 and a motor is the same I'll have a fitted dinghy for about $6000 out of pocket. My current 13'6" with 30HP four stroke will sell for about $8000 (and it comes with a trailer) so I'm simply juggling assets to get what I need.

Glad I could be of help. You may want to ping Defender for their special-order group. Things may have changed recently, but in the past, they've been good about getting decent pricing on special orders such as this.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom